A Good Read On AJ Epenesa

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And this says he is not quite JJ Watt.  I will take almost JJWatt.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878147-nfl-scouting-combine-notebook-did-aj-epenesa-crater-his-draft-stock

Watching video tonight, the guy plays like a monster.  

That body and that attitude. Looks like a great value at 58.  Goodness 

He sure looks the part doesn’t he, ?

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

He sure looks the part doesn’t he, ?

I really haven't been paying attention.  

That guy looks like something more than Lawson, and he has a better attitude. 

That was a great day 2.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

its crazy to think if AJ's 40 and 3 cone time was slightly better (just barely) he would most likely be considered a top 10 pick 

It really is silly when you think about it. For him I think the other issue was that without a pro day he wasn’t able to improve it. I went back to the DVR and watched his workout from the combine and after his second 40 DJ said “He’ll be able to get that down under 5 seconds at his pro day.” So everything just kind if feel for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Here’s a highlight video to support your post. Enjoy!

After watching the highlights I will state he is definitely a good athlete but the ability to get off the line is huge at the next level and I don't know how to judge it when some of the lineman were clearly so overmatched.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And he was available at 58 why?  Quickness?

Everything I’ve read/watched simply point to the combine. Beane made a point to say those are indicators they look for (combine data) but the proof is in the pudding: game tape. 

That adds up in my book. ? 

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He wasn’t available at 58, we took him at 54. In all seriousness, sometimes these teams let combine numbers influence them too much. As they say, “the tape doesn’t lie.” 

ironically our 6th rd pick hodgins should have been bumped up by the stats crowd. With his 20 yard spirit time (best of any WR at the combine and one of the best of all time) and his drop % of around 1%, again best of any wr, we may have got a 6’4” steal

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

Not to be a Debbie downer, but he looks stiff to me.  He also does not look built like you'd expect a stud DE to be.  I know, don't judge a book by it's cover.  Hopefully he can translate to the NFL! 

Not sure where you’re seeing ‘stiffness’? Link?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

After watching the highlights I will state he is definitely a good athlete but the ability to get off the line is huge at the next level and I don't know how to judge it when some of the lineman were clearly so overmatched.

One good thing is that Austin Jackson, the guy the Dolphins drafted can’t block him. So that helps Going forward. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, TroutDog said:

Not sure where you’re seeing ‘stiffness’? Link?

To me, he doesnt move as fluidly as you'd like a DE to be.  Perhaps he's just a power guy and that's what I'm seeing.  I don't have a professional football eye, but I have watched a lot of football in my time.  He just does not move as quickly as you would like a stud DE to move, does not seem very explosive.  

He could very well turn into the next JJ Watt, take what I say with a grain of salt, just some observations from an armchair ameture evaluator of NFL talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s what I was going to say.  Watt has much more burst off the edge.  I think there’s a lot of similarity with Aaron Schobel.  Hopefully his sacks come at bigger moments.  

Aaron Schobel was someone who reminded me of.  Steady, relentless, full package teammate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s what I was going to say.  Watt has much more burst off the edge.  I think there’s a lot of similarity with Aaron Schobel.  Hopefully his sacks come at bigger moments.  

For cryin' out loud with this Schobel stuff. The next time Epenesa tries a speed rush and gets routed wide by the tackle across Abbott Rd and through Lot 4 like Schobel always did, then we can start with the Schobel comparisons.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

One thing I notice is that he seems to just engulf the QB. No leaping, no grabbing, just swallows the target!

Yes and he does not take the QB to the ground but surrounds the QB and then goes down with QB no where to go with QB hitting him, usually the arm, when going down.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

That is always an issue when judging college players, look at Ed O he dominated in college but it is a big transition to the pro game, Ed is doing well imo but it took a few games for him to start to show more frequently, the same is likely for A.J. I trust Beane and his teams judgement. 

24 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

To me, he doesnt move as fluidly as you'd like a DE to be.  Perhaps he's just a power guy and that's what I'm seeing.  I don't have a professional football eye, but I have watched a lot of football in my time.  He just does not move as quickly as you would like a stud DE to move, does not seem very explosive.  

He could very well turn into the next JJ Watt, take what I say with a grain of salt, just some observations from an armchair ameture evaluator of NFL talent.  

He seems to play like Watt, who also doesn't look like a classic DE.  He's just a relentless big athlete.  Not Watt's strength or quickness, but similar style. 

Who knows?  I just like the size and intensity. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

For cryin' out loud with this Schobel stuff. The next time Epenesa tries a speed rush and gets routed wide by the tackle across Abbott Rd and through Lot 4 like Schobel always did, then we can start with the Schobel comparisons.

So season opener, then???

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That is always an issue when judging college players, look at Ed O he dominated in college but it is a big transition to the pro game, Ed is doing well imo but it took a few games for him to start to show more frequently, the same is likely for A.J. I trust Beane and his teams judgement. 

Agreed- I expect bigger things out of Ed this year and hope by the end of AJ is similar.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

We got him At 54.

The “concern” was some of his scores on his combine grades. They questioned his athleticism.  

In high school in Illinois he was a basketball star, a football star, and the State Track and Field Discus Champion.  WTF.   He is an athlete.  He plays Football like a beast.  He belongs on our team.  So happy we got him.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

So season opener, then???

It's not gonna happen. Schobel had the speed move which was effective when he could get by clean, but the tackle gets a hand on him going wide, he was out of the play. The classic Schobel highlight was of him re-entering the TV screen running back toward the pocket from behind as the ball is being thrown. Epenesa has an initial punch harder than Schobel with a horseshoe taped to his hand. They're not at all similar.

Epenesa is a big end with length, power and a relentness motor which is more of a throwback to a classic 3-4 strong-side end. The past Bill who's the closest comp to that description is IMO Ben Williams with his (relative for his time) length and power, flanking Smerlas in the 70s/80s. If he busts you can say Ryan Denney instead.

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

It's not gonna happen. Schobel had the speed move which was effective when he could get by clean, but the tackle gets a hand on him going wide, he was out of the play. The classic Schobel highlight was of him re-entering the TV screen running back toward the pocket from behind as the ball is being thrown. Epenesa has an initial punch harder than Schobel with a horseshoe taped to his hand. They're not at all similar.

Epenesa is a big end with length, power and a relentness motor which is more of a throwback to a classic 3-4 strong-side end. The past Bill who's the closest comp to that description is IMO Ben Williams with his (relative for his time) length and power, flanking Smerlas in the 70s/80s. If he busts you can say Ryan Denney instead.

I agree he isn't Scholes. He has better power than Denney.  In another thread someone mentioned Hansen. Hansen was quicker, but Epenesa seems to play more of a power game. 

• Like (+1) 1