A Good Read On AJ Epenesa

54 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

To me, he doesnt move as fluidly as you'd like a DE to be.  Perhaps he's just a power guy and that's what I'm seeing.  I don't have a professional football eye, but I have watched a lot of football in my time.  He just does not move as quickly as you would like a stud DE to move, does not seem very explosive.  

He could very well turn into the next JJ Watt, take what I say with a grain of salt, just some observations from an armchair ameture evaluator of NFL talent.  

You aren't far off, he doesn't have the "bend" that the elite speed rushers have.  You don't see his upper body ripping around the corner, he is a little stiff.  That said, hes strong as a bull and only going to get stronger, weighs 275 and probably could go up 10lbs in his legs and really cause problems for opponents.  His upper body and hands are great, his attitude is great and his instincts are exciting, he goes for the ball first, something nobody for the Bills in recent history has really done. I love that.  He's a lot like Shaq in terms of what he will bring, except way more effort, every day.  I think Shaq is a bit more flexible, but it never translated.  I ne er understood taking Shaq where they did, basically, they took Shaqs replacement where Shaq should have been taken to start with.

He has potential to be really good.  Naturally big, powerful and athletic dude.  Comes down to how good he wants to be.  That’s why his combine performance probably dropped him so much.  It’s not the numbers themselves but rather whether it reveals how hard he wants to work to be great.  Hopefully he’s a guy that just wasn’t into the underwear Olympics and will use his drop in the draft as motivation.  

31 minutes ago, poblano said:

This is the player to whom I compare it, he lacks initial explosiveness, but with strength enough to make up for it.

It’s a good comp in terms of their style of play, but Justin Smith blew up the combine, so he was a ridiculous athlete at a large size. He ran faster than Zach Moss with a 4.64. Smith was a little smaller and had pretty short arms. But play style was similar, Smith just a bit smaller and more explosive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love the first few comments following the linked article:

WeaBootyWarrior8 months ago

Led B1G in sacks as a non starter? What the *****? Why didn’t they start him?

kingricky8 months ago

@WeaBootyWarrior my thoughts exactly

WeaBootyWarrior8 months ago

@kingricky Like...That’s bad coaching, isn’t it? I don’t care who’s in front of him, if the dude is a baller, he’s starting ?

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And this says he is not quite JJ Watt.  I will take almost JJWatt.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878147-nfl-scouting-combine-notebook-did-aj-epenesa-crater-his-draft-stock

Watching video tonight, the guy plays like a monster.  

That body and that attitude. Looks like a great value at 58.  Goodness 

Reminds me more of Mean Joe Greene, for the old timers out there. Same size, ferocity, power and relentlessness. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You aren't far off, he doesn't have the "bend" that the elite speed rushers have.  You don't see his upper body ripping around the corner, he is a little stiff.  That said, hes strong as a bull and only going to get stronger, weighs 275 and probably could go up 10lbs in his legs and really cause problems for opponents.  His upper body and hands are great, his attitude is great and his instincts are exciting, he goes for the ball first, something nobody for the Bills in recent history has really done. I love that.  He's a lot like Shaq in terms of what he will bring, except way more effort, every day.  I think Shaq is a bit more flexible, but it never translated.  I ne er understood taking Shaq where they did, basically, they took Shaqs replacement where Shaq should have been taken to start with.

I sure hope you're right! 

He seems to play like Watt, who also doesn't look like a classic DE.  He's just a relentless big athlete.  Not Watt's strength or quickness, but similar style. 

Who knows?  I just like the size and intensity. 

I always felt like Watt was more fluid, he was just a freak of nature.  Maybe I need to go back and watch more Watt footage. 

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

poor combine.  slow 40.  DL dont need a fast 40, IMo.  

Its more his 10yard split time teams were concerned about which relates to explosiveness off the line. But thats not his game. He reminds me more of an old school DE. 6-5 275lbs that uses strength and pass rush moves to get to QB. Execs are so in love with the quick first step guys that can fly in off the edge, but what you miss with a lot of those guys (that Epenesa will bring) is run stopping ability and containment on the edge. For a guy that timed so slow I cant seem to remember any coach trying to attack his side thinking the rb could just run right past him. The guy is a monster and swallowed teams up all year. And from what all his coaches are saying, hes still pretty raw and is only going to get better with more playing time and NFL coaching. Go Bills!

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 1

He seems to play like Watt, who also doesn't look like a classic DE.  He's just a relentless big athlete.  Not Watt's strength or quickness, but similar style. 

Who knows?  I just like the size and intensity. 

Epenesa was noticeably dominant starting for the Hawkeye defense last year, both on running and passing plays.  He's not flashy and knifes to the ball with a couple of excellent hand moves.  He also is hyper-aware of where the ball is and makes good use of his length, especially in finishing.  I'm a Penn State fan and he was dominating, but also watched him do it in other games.  

I think he fell because of the combine and also because he played at Iowa.  They don't get on the national radar a lot, especially not playing the Buckeyes the last 2 years.

Looking forward to him working with Hughes on moves and if Bruce visits hopefully shares some tips.  I don't think AJ will be elite but should be better than Shaq.  I expect him to struggle a bit to NFL adjust.

4 minutes ago, billspro said:

I do see some similarities to Watt. Especially rushing from the inside. He is a poor mans Watt though. I think he will be good but not NFL MVP good. 

Yeah, he's not Watt.   He's not quite the athlete that Watt is.   What I like best is that he plays with Watt's intensity.  

And he was a three-sport star in high school, and a five-star recruit.   He's a football player, for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they have some similarities, but Watt is a slightly more athletic guy. Better 40 and 3 cone and just a bit more speed in his pass rush game. 

Probably but let’s see him in a nfl S&C program, I could see those things improving. I always look at prospects going back to HS because I follow recruiting so closely. Epenesa was the #1 ranked DE in the country in the 2017 class, 5 star recruit and was top 30 overall all positions. Iowa doesn’t get many 5 stars but his parents were alums and he wanted to go there. He had offers from every school you can think of including Bama, FSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC etc. Watt was a walk on who clearly made the most of it. I think he’s like Shaq in that he’s power vs speed but his technique and hands remind me of Joey Bosa. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Was he compared to JJ Watt? I skimmed the article, but I only think I read that he models his game on Watt. Big difference. 

edit: ok, I see now where one scout says “he has some Watt” in his game. 

No matter who makes the comparisons or not, I just prefer to let these guys be themselves, and not obsess over comparisons. 

Edited by jimmy10

15 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

It's not gonna happen. Schobel had the speed move which was effective when he could get by clean, but the tackle gets a hand on him going wide, he was out of the play. The classic Schobel highlight was of him re-entering the TV screen running back toward the pocket from behind as the ball is being thrown. Epenesa has an initial punch harder than Schobel with a horseshoe taped to his hand. They're not at all similar.

Epenesa is a big end with length, power and a relentness motor which is more of a throwback to a classic 3-4 strong-side end. The past Bill who's the closest comp to that description is IMO Ben Williams with his (relative for his time) length and power, flanking Smerlas in the 70s/80s. If he busts you can say Ryan Denney instead.

That is what I have been sensing. He is not a flashy edge rusher who blows by the tackle but more of a hold the edge and collapse the pocket guy.