Taysom Hill extends - 2 years, $21 Million

5 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I feel thats a decent amount of coin for a guy with a combined 380 yards last season. He did have 6 receiving TDS but it came on just 230 yards receiving and 19 receptions. That doesn’t seem sustainable. 

I think it all adds up to him getting more targets next year. When he does play receiver is it usually in like the TE role? With that kind of money committed to him i wouldn't be surprised to see if reception total double. 

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think it all adds up to him getting more targets next year. When he does play receiver is it usually in like the TE role? With that kind of money committed to him i wouldn't be surprised to see if reception total double. 

I watch a ton of Saints football for fantasy reasons and because I'm a huge Brees fan (Purdue is my college team). I think even without additional targets, he's worth this contract. He opens up plays for first downs and TDs as a decoy when he's not targeted. In the redzone, he has to be specifically schemed for, giving defensive coordinators something else to worry about. You'll also see double coverage roll with him, both intentionally and unintentionally.

So, you force the other team to spend time in the film room and practice to prepare for him, he opens up opportunities for other players, and running/catching/passing he's going to account for about 10 TDs a year (I think he'll get more passing opportunities this upcoming year). I think that's worth the contract he received.

Bonus, if he continues to develop maybe he's the replacement for Brees. Maybe not, but they have 2 more years to figure it out with a guy who's not simply taking up a roster spot on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I watch a ton of Saints football for fantasy reasons and because I'm a huge Brees fan (Purdue is my college team). I think even without additional targets, he's worth this contract. He opens up plays for first downs and TDs as a decoy when he's not targeted. In the redzone, he has to be specifically schemed for, giving defensive coordinators something else to worry about. You'll also see double coverage roll with him, both intentionally and unintentionally.

So, you force the other team to spend time in the film room and practice to prepare for him, he opens up opportunities for other players, and running/catching/passing he's going to account for about 10 TDs a year (I think he'll get more passing opportunities this upcoming year). I think that's worth the contract he received.

Bonus, if he continues to develop maybe he's the replacement for Brees. Maybe not, but they have 2 more years to figure it out with a guy who's not simply taking up a roster spot on the bench.

Excellent write up

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Bingo...

I know it is hard to believe but Taysom may be the most popular player on the Saints amongst the fans. That’s not hyperbole either. There were A LOT of fans that wanted to let Brees walk and hand the keys to Taysom. It’s insanity. He is beloved. The Saints were never going to let him leave.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know it is hard to believe but Taysom may be the most popular player on the Saints amongst the fans. That’s not hyperbole either. There were A LOT of fans that wanted to let Brees walk and hand the keys to Taysom. It’s insanity. He is beloved. The Saints were never going to let him leave.

He sounds like he’s beloved by the Aints as well.

As of me posting this Taysom Hill was winning the poll. Keep in mind he’s 6-13 for 119 yards in the regular season in his career. He will be 30 at the start of the season. Say what you want about Jameis but he’s coming off of a 5,000 yard season and is a former number 1 overall pick.

Taysom has a role for sure but this poll should illustrate how irrational Saints fans are when it comes to him. This would be like Bills fans wanting Brad Smith to start at QB. It is kind of crazy.

And people are going nuts over the Packers repeating history by taking their future replacement for their current long term franchise QB (and, like Rodgers, at a discount).

Hill is a joke.  He's not even a QB.  10 million for a few completely telegraphed plays a game?

LOL

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As of me posting this Taysom Hill was winning the poll. Keep in mind he’s 6-13 for 119 yards in the regular season in his career. He will be 30 at the start of the season. Say what you want about Jameis but he’s coming off of a 5,000 yard season and is a former number 1 overall pick.

Taysom has a role for sure but this poll should illustrate how irrational Saints fans are when it comes to him. This would be like Bills fans wanting Brad Smith to start at QB. It is kind of crazy.

Oh there were pages and pages about the magic of Brad Smith.  You will trigger many here!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/26/2020 at 9:06 PM, FireChans said:

He’s honestly the most unique football player I can remember. Passing TD’s, rushing TD’s, recieving TD’s, punt blocks.

He’s fascinating because he makes no sense. He has no position, which is usually the kiss of death at this level. But here he is contributing in unique ways. Some may call it luck, but luck can’t be sustained this long, imo. His 7 TD’s last year would have led the Bills in skill positions last year.

He basically is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife.  He contributes in ALL aspects of the game for them which is pretty unbelievable. 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, DisplacedBillsFan said:

When you're making teams spend time focusing on Hill instead of Michael Thomas, that is a major problem you are causing for a defense...

Edited by matter2003

On 4/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Bangarang said:

I feel like he gets a lot of attention for no reason 

Its pretty odd to pay a gadget guy who isnt really great at anything. The fact the people considered him to be the next man up until Jameis Winston signed was absurd as well. Although 6 TDs on 19 catches is kinda crazy itself. (Karlos Williams?) 

Edited by Mr. K

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lotta drinking in that town, no?

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lotta drinking in that town, no?

It’s insanity!! People REALLY believe (and want) him to be the QB. There was a large group (maybe 20%) that wanted Brees to retire now and to give the job to him. He’s going to be 30 when the season starts!! For some perspective, Tyrod is 30. That just makes no sense to me. These heathens fell in love with a Mormon, go figure.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:37 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I honestly don’t understand how they get this stuff under the cap

This might actually be a move to create cap space.  The Saints need a little more to sign their meager draft class.  I’ll explain.  Hill was in the last year of his deal.  They can convert some salary to a signing bonus and extend his deal a couple seasons to spread that out.  The large numbers might only be due to a pay-me-or-release-me structure.  IOW he might not be getting any more money this season but the Saints will be paying him next season if they’re going to keep him.  Or he hits free agency and can get what he can there.  There’s probably a big roster bonus due or guarantees that kick in within a few days of next season starting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny, imagine if Tavon Austin was coming out of college now. The NFL sure has changed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW there was a poster on this board that said (in total seriousness) that Hill looked more like a franchise QB in 2019 than Josh Allen.

• Haha (+1) 2

He is Tim Tebow on steroids.  He will never be a full time qb.  My man wasn’t even that good in college while he was older than most players.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taysom-hill-1.html

kinda blows my mind that he deserves this much money but he is fun.  Wild that taking Brees off the field is a good playcall but what do I know.  

• Thank you (+1) 1