Draft ? about trading picks.

WNY

Do you think a team will disclose to another team the player they are trying to trade for? If a team is trying to get someone a few spots ahead of the team you want to trade with (Like the Packers did to get Jordan Love). Then what if they team you'er trading with wants the same player? Maybe you just trade with teams that you know aren't looking for the same player/position?

It's something that I've always wondered?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WNY said:

Do you think a team will disclose to another team the player they are trying to trade for? If a team is trying to get someone a few spots ahead of the team you want to trade with (Like the Packers did to get Jordan Love). Then what if they team you'er trading with wants the same player? Maybe you just trade with teams that you know aren't looking for the same player/position?

You are never telling them who it is you want. Maybe that changes their mind? You negotiate until you can agree (or not) on the compensation. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The head scratcher for me was when somebody moved up ONE pick in Round One. I think one of the teams was SF, but I can’t recall who gave up picks to trade up one slot. It makes no sense at all. 

It does make sense if the team in front of you is shopping the pick to other teams who want the same player...gotta do what you gotta do to ensure you get him if you like him that much. 

Edited by Htt2821
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, Htt2821 said:

It does make sense if the team in front of you is shopping the pick to other teams who want the same player...gotta do what you gotta do to ensure you get him if you like him that much. 

Yup.  Of course, the Bears might be SB champs right now if someone had jumped them for Trubisky a few years ago!

• Haha (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The head scratcher for me was when somebody moved up ONE pick in Round One. I think one of the teams was SF, but I can’t recall who gave up picks to trade up one slot. It makes no sense at all. 

It was the Bears moving up to take Trubisky.

15 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

He was talking about this year. The Bucs traded up 1 spot with San Fran to take Wirfs!! Gotta protect brady

That’s the one. Hard to believe it made sense, but that’s just me. I think the 49ers fleeced them.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s the one. Hard to believe it made sense, but that’s just me. I think the 49ers fleeced them.

They did because everyone knew who the Buccaneers needed. But, when you have a 42 year old QB and protection problems, you give up a pick to ensure you get the last of the Big 4 tackles.

I'm sure there are plenty of times when the team trading down knows exactly who the other team is trading up for.  A good example is when we sent picks to Tampa to get Josh Allen.  Before the draft, most late mock drafts had the Bills trading up for Allen, although most had them going higher than 7.  Another example is when Houston traded up for Watson.  I'm pretty sure Cleveland knew exactly who Houston wanted.  

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seemed crazy at the time and then by the end of the draft the 49ers lost Joe Staley to retirement and traded for Trent Williams. For all we know, they could have been open to taking Wirfs, but then decided to just trade for Williams and figure out a long-term solution next year 

2 hours ago, WNY said:

It happens when teams flip spots. If they want the same player it doesn’t happen.

it doesn’t have to happen.  It usually occurs when teams have consecutive picks,  if there are teams between them it’s pointles because you don’t know who they will draft.

with the Sabres in 2008 draft. Buffalo flipped in 1st round with LA and the gems exchanged on paper who they would draft.  If name was same then no trade.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It was SF and Chicago for trubinsky. Chicago knew teams were talking to thrm to trade up. They wanted him.

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm sure there are plenty of times when the team trading down knows exactly who the other team is trading up for.  A good example is when we sent picks to Tampa to get Josh Allen.  Before the draft, most late mock drafts had the Bills trading up for Allen, although most had them going higher than 7.  Another example is when Houston traded up for Watson.  I'm pretty sure Cleveland knew exactly who Houston wanted.  

Not true. at that point both Rosen and Allen were on board and the trade could have been to draft either one.

47 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Not true. at that point both Rosen and Allen were on board and the trade could have been to draft either one.

Exactly. I guess you just trade for capital and roll the dice if you’re hoping no one takes your pick. I get it when you trade out early and pickup more picks where your guy is supposed to be placed later. 

I guess the Packers traded the 30th spot for the 26th spot with the Dolphins. Who already picked Tua, but who would’ve thought the Packers would take Love? I guess the Dolphins had nothing to lose knowing they didn’t want Love. Regardless, it’s an interesting thought about how to play your draft placement when trading picks. 

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Except for the FACT that it was no secret that the Bills wanted Allen, not Rosen.  Go back & look at all the 2018 mock drafts.  It was well known throughout the media that the Bills wanted to trade up for Allen, not Rosen.  To think Tampa Bay didn't know the trade was for Allen when virtually the entire NFL & the people who cover the NFL knew the Bills were much higher on Allen than Rosen assumes a level of incompetence on the part of Tampa Bay that defies belief.  Anyone who did an extensive review of pre-draft coverage knows what I said is completely true.  Now you can come back with talk of smokescreens & stuff like that, but take some time (like I did) and look at the mock drafts & you'll realize that it was no secret how the Bills felt when it came to choosing between the 2 Joshs.  Just about every well known "NFL Insider" had the Bills taking Allen.  If it was one or 2 you might have a case, but it was virtually every one of them.