Buffalo Draft Grades From National News

Rigotz

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I disagree. He doesn't have 40 speed, but from what I have watched he has good burst off the line and makes quick moves to rush the passer. And he has great technique. He looks fluid. I also saw him TRIPLE teamed, at times.

My opinion, and honestly it isn't worth much, I think when analysts are doing those draft do-overs a couple years from now Epanesa will be one of those that goes WAY higher. I think we got a steal.

By far, the player I am most excited about for the Bills contributing immediately (and in the future, BTW) is Epanesa. But hey, I've been wrong before.

I agree 40 speed doesn’t matter as much at DE. Shor quickness is more important.

im not sure how much of a pass rusher he is.  That will be the valuable. Many DE can get high sack totals due to pressure elsewhere but they aren’t the focal point of a pass rush.

17 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Odd that Bleacher Report that negative, given on their online stream (which was far better than Espn / NFL Network) Matt Miller and Conor Rodgers liked every pick. 

This.

The guys whose opinions are actually worth a darn, Matt Miller included, had straight As and A+s across the board for Buffalo. They raved about Brandon Beane, saying no one in the NFL gets better value in the draft than him.

The Bleacher Report’s draft show videos are still up on Youtube, and I HIGHLY suggest people skip to the Bills picks and watch them.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Well at least Bleacher Report’s grades were informative and backed up by comprehensive analyses. ??

BR is weird like that. I actually like Matt Miller and Connor Rogers who do the draft show each year and write most of the draft content. They clearly do a ton of research and know what they are talking about and they both loved the Bills picks in Rounds 1-5 (lowest grade they gave us was an A- for Gabriel Davis I believe). 

But then Mike Tanier does the grades of each pick and the overall grades. It seems like a lot of patchwork and quick takes to me. 

I would put more stock into Miller and Rogers (a Jets fan) opinions if you take anything away from BR's reporting. No one really knows how we did yet, but I like our draft and thought we got value in several spots. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for all the work getting the links. But if I can insert a small pet peeve?

It isn't NFL.com who made that list. Nor do they stand behind it. They'll have probably ten other guys writing stories about the same thing. These aren't meant to be what the outlets think. They are the opinions of the writers.

That wasn't NFL.com's opinion. It was Chad Reuter's opinion. And yeah, it would make total sense to say something like, "NFL.com's Chad Reuter: ". That kind of thing. But not just the outlet. When Trump (or previously Obama) speaks, you don't say, "America says ...".

A few of them say, "We ranked ..." and hey, for those it makes sense.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

C+ ? I don't see how this draft could be less than a B.

QB probably won't have much of an impact and might not make the 53 man roster, Kicker might not make the team..., not sure how that impacts the grade but likely where it comes from.

51 minutes ago, klos63 said:

QB probably won't have much of an impact and might not make the 53 man roster, Kicker might not make the team..., not sure how that impacts the grade but likely where it comes from.

Like most 5th and 6th round picks, right?

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Well at least Bleacher Report’s grades were informative and backed up by comprehensive analyses. ??

They are breed on negativity. I blocked their NBA Twitter because the Harden hate click desperation was just so pathetic

Edited by mimisnowball
  • Like (+1) 1

Thanks for posting.  I usually scour this stuff afterwards to get a sense of how people think we did.

I didn't even care to see one review this time.  It just felt like Beane nailed it. I loved every player, and how I could see each fitting in. I think they all could make the team & play important roles.

We're in very good hands these days.  I hope Beane is our GM for a long, long time.  I want to get to at least .500 in the SB record.

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

Like most 5th and 6th round picks, right?

just saying, that's probably a reason for a C+ grade. There were likely safer picks , but it doesn't really matter what the grades are. Just someone's opinion without even seeing them practice with their new team.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That wasn't NFL.com's opinion. It was Chad Reuter's opinion. And yeah, it would make total sense to say something like, "NFL.com's Chad Reuter: "

Who is Chad Reuter? You never see him on TV or doing podcasts. He just seems to do long mocks and draft articles for nfl.com.

This was a solid draft. They filled their depth and role player needs around a solid roster while adding one good foundational/starting piece to the D-line (AJ) not much else you could ask for esp in a draft lacking a first round pick. Setting aside Diggs as part of this draft this draft very much added a lot of good talent to the roster in areas of need. AJ is a possible starting caliber player at a position where the team was older and long term needed to get younger as well as could have used a short term depth piece. 

Moss adds a good complement to Singletary and allows for this team to be set out of the backfield the next 3-4 seasons. They then got a couple of young WR's that can provide short term depth and possibly take over for Brown and Beasley long term. Fromm is a good prospect and could take over for Barkely in 1-2 seasons. They got a kicker to compete with Haush and a nice project corner to add some secondary depth on the PS. 

20 hours ago, njodogg said:

I love hardos about repeating topics. Its awesome to watch. 

Haha indeed. That one backfired a bit, eh?

I think the coolest part of all of these grades is usually you get at LEAST one hater with a C, C-, or even F.

Even the ones who hated our draft didn't hate it that much. That might be the only indication worthwhile that we probably did a decent job.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I completely agree on taking chances on day 3.

The 4-3 edge player needs to have some pass rush ability.  Epenesa doesn't have the speed to be a great pass rusher.  He should be a very good run stopper with 4-5 sacks a year.  

I don't think the Bills drafted him to be a 4 or 5 sack a year guy. I think they are looking at him to be a 10 to 12 sack guy and based off the videos I've seen, I think it's possible. He had a 10 sack season and an 11 sack season in college. This isn't Shaq Lawson where he only had 7 sacks his first two seasons combined

On 4/26/2020 at 1:53 PM, FireChans said:

Way too much was made about Fromm in the fifth. A winning QB from a big time program with good backup potential is a decent pick in the fifth. Way too many people hate that pick.

One of the network guys (Brooks?  Riddick?) called backup QB a top 30 roster spot.  I think this is true.  If so, spending a 5th round pick in an attempt to upgrade the spot over the next 4 years seems ok.  We know Frank Reich justified his draft spot #3-57.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

On 4/26/2020 at 2:30 PM, Mountain Man said:

Odd that Bleacher Report that negative, given on their online stream (which was far better than Espn / NFL Network) Matt Miller and Conor Rodgers liked every pick. 

Yes.  I knew this was true of their first two picks which should be the biggest part of any grade.  The author is Jake Rill whose work  I don't think I have read before.  Some of these evaluations seem to weigh all the picks equally and ignore the significance of the Diggs trade.  Both would be a poor way to look at it, in my opinion.  It's all about using draft capital to upgrade roster talent whether it happens on 4/23 or in mid March.