New Era - Lamp

Virgil

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

For those that don't know me, I've been a Bills fan for over 25 years.  I write a post game summary that I inherited from @BillfromNYC (who can have it back whenever he wants), I help do the mock drafts, not-so-secret @Gugny man-crush, and I absolutely lost my ***** when the Bills lost to the Texans.  I mean, absolutely lost in with more anger than I can ever remember having about this team.  I even got myself banned for posting while angry, even though I still don't agree with the logic.  At the time, and moreso until the draft, I couldn't understand why that loss affected me so much.  I know that I suffer from chronic BBFS, but this was different.

I was here for the multiple 5-2 starts where the playoffs were a statistically strong probability.  When, even though we weren't a strong team, you had to make it in from 5-2, right?  Or all the Primetime games where we are up with only minutes left and it would require a turnover or a magical play to lose; we found a way in the most Billsy way possible

As the draft went on, I had players that I wanted to see us add.  I thought Dobbins was going to be a great value in the 2nd, but AJ was an even better value.  Also, Beane is the GM and has absolutely earned my trust and respect.  If he thinks AJ and Moss are the guys, then so be it.  I loved the Fromm pick and overall was more relaxed than previous drafts.  I was the guy who lost his ***** when Allen was draft (so happy to be wrong and I can't imagine anyone else as our QB), the McKelvin pick ruined a vacation I was on, and Spiller made me question life.  Again, all for context.

In any case, the conclusion I've come to realize is...

We've arrived.  We are a real, competitive team with a strong roster, good coach, good gm, and an owner who isn't going anywhere.  I got so upset in the Bills/Texans game because I EXPECTED us to win.  That's a big deal over the past 20 years.  We are so used to being happy with whatever we can get, the "happy to have a team in Buffalo and just be here" mentality.  But after 3 years of solid drafts, Primetime wins, locking up the playoffs with weeks left, and overall having a roster that is as good on paper as it is on the field...it's finally different.

I expect us to win the division.  I expect Allen to take another step forward.  I expect a home playoff game.  I expect us to be competitive in every game.  I expect, if we lose, to be pissed because we were the better team and capable of winning.  

As for the draft and my calmness, it's because I don't think we even needed this draft.  If we didn't have a single pick, my opinion about this upcoming season wouldn't change.  I'm not worried about what our divisional foes did.  I don't expect any of our draft guys to push us over the hump because we are already there.  All of these players are going to get limited playing time and if they suck, we will be fine.  They can only make us better.  I mean, when was the last time that's happened?  

It really is a New Era for the Bills.  The questions are gone for me.  The Bills have arrived and I think we are going to be here for a long time to come.  We have the cap management, off-season strategy, coaching, culture, and talent to fill out one of the strongest foundations I've seen in a long time.  

Embrace it, enjoy it.

Welcome to the New Era

I had a very similar anger rise up the moment the Bills lost. I walked to the sink, washed some dishes and it was gone. It turns out as men we don't know how to handle disappointment. Regret on the other hand is useful, it allows us to think through what we did wrong so we can change it and act differently in the future. But disappointment is different, because by definition there's nothing we could have controlled to make the outcome different. So if you think about it, there's nothing useful to hanging on to anger or ruminating about disappointment because there is nothing you can do about it... Also, you are not defined by the Bills. Your worth and value is not dependent on their success in any way. You have the same inherent value as a human being as anyone else, so there's no reason to question life or ruin vacations if your disappointed by the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I had a very similar anger rise up the moment the Bills lost. I walked to the sink, washed some dishes and it was gone. It turns out as men we don't know how to handle disappointment. Regret on the other hand is useful, it allows us to think through what we did wrong so we can change it and act differently in the future. But disappointment is different, because by definition there's nothing we could have controlled to make the outcome different. So if you think about it, there's nothing useful to hanging on to anger or ruminating about disappointment because there is nothing you can do about it... Also, you are not defined by the Bills. Your worth and value is not dependent on their success in any way. You have the same inherent value as a human being as anyone else, so there's no reason to question life or ruin vacations if your disappointed by the Bills. 

You overestimate my worth ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I absolutely lost my ***** when the Bills lost to the Texans.  I mean, absolutely lost in with more anger than I can ever remember having about this team.  I even got myself banned for posting while angry, even though I still don't agree with the logic. 

I love how a key part of your bio is how you got banned!! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/24/2020 at 6:09 PM, Playoffs? said:

Agree with just about everything above except for the comment about Brown and Beasley not getting separation. I think both are fantastic route runners, and Brown’s speed helps easily create separation.  I love our receiving corps, but what we’re missing is the big possession guy that catches everything you throw him (dare I say the upgraded version of Duke?)

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

For those that don't know me, I've been a Bills fan for over 25 years.  I write a post game summary that I inherited from @BillfromNYC (who can have it back whenever he wants), I help do the mock drafts, not-so-secret @Gugny man-crush, and I absolutely lost my ***** when the Bills lost to the Texans.  I mean, absolutely lost in with more anger than I can ever remember having about this team.  I even got myself banned for posting while angry, even though I still don't agree with the logic.  At the time, and moreso until the draft, I couldn't understand why that loss affected me so much.  I know that I suffer from chronic BBFS, but this was different.

I was here for the multiple 5-2 starts where the playoffs were a statistically strong probability.  When, even though we weren't a strong team, you had to make it in from 5-2, right?  Or all the Primetime games where we are up with only minutes left and it would require a turnover or a magical play to lose; we found a way in the most Billsy way possible

As the draft went on, I had players that I wanted to see us add.  I thought Dobbins was going to be a great value in the 2nd, but AJ was an even better value.  Also, Beane is the GM and has absolutely earned my trust and respect.  If he thinks AJ and Moss are the guys, then so be it.  I loved the Fromm pick and overall was more relaxed than previous drafts.  I was the guy who lost his ***** when Allen was draft (so happy to be wrong and I can't imagine anyone else as our QB), the McKelvin pick ruined a vacation I was on, and Spiller made me question life.  Again, all for context.

We've arrived.  We are a real, competitive team with a strong roster, good coach, good gm, and an owner who isn't going anywhere.  I got so upset in the Bills/Texans game because I EXPECTED us to win.  That's a big deal over the past 20 years.  We are so used to being happy with whatever we can get, the "happy to have a team in Buffalo and just be here" mentality.  But after 3 years of solid drafts, Primetime wins, locking up the playoffs with weeks left, and overall having a roster that is as good on paper as it is on the field...it's finally different.

I expect us to win the division.  I expect Allen to take another step forward.  I expect a home playoff game.  I expect us to be competitive in every game.  I expect, if we lose, to be pissed because we were the better team and capable of winning.  

As for the draft and my calmness, it's because I don't think we even needed this draft.  If we didn't have a single pick, my opinion about this upcoming season wouldn't change.  I'm not worried about what our divisional foes did.  I don't expect any of our draft guys to push us over the hump because we are already there.  All of these players are going to get limited playing time and if they suck, we will be fine.  They can only make us better.  I mean, when was the last time that's happened?  

It really is a New Era for the Bills.  The questions are gone for me.  The Bills have arrived and I think we are going to be here for a long time to come.  We have the cap management, off-season strategy, coaching, culture, and talent to fill out one of the strongest foundations I've seen in a long time.  

Embrace it, enjoy it.

Welcome to the New Era

Hey Virgil, you have an interesting take on this Bills team.  (I will say that I was a Leodis McKelvin fan.  Guy could return punts as well as anyone we ever had, had good speed and played hard.  He was not a great player.  But he was a solid player and a stand up guy.  Had a decent NFL career)  I have been a fan since the mid 70's.  Seen some great Bills teams, some good Bills teams and a lot of below average to bad Bills teams.  But to say we have ARRIVED is a little premature, wouldn't you say??  Yes our roster looks quite good right now.  Especially after yesterday's draft.  I was harping for weeks on how we did not have enuf offensive weapons.  Well after yesterday, I like our offense a whole lot better.  Contrary to what some on here think, you need a lot of decent to good receivers over the life of a 16 game season to be successful.  

That all being said.  I think it is premature to say we have arrived.  We won 10 games last year with a weak schedule and a marginal offense.  We have not won a playoff game for 24 years.  (Loved that stat shoved in our face by ESPN graphics Friday nite)  I think we have arrived as far as becoming a very well run organization with an excellent GM and a solid head coach who has the makings of a very good head coach in the future.  But until we start playing the 2020 season, any statement that the team has arrived is far too premature.  Yes we have talent.  But we still have a young QB with lots of questions that he will need to answer.  We have a potentially good O line.  But lets see what they do when the pads go on.  We will have a much tougher schedule this season then last based on the divisions we will be playing.  

I appreciate and respect your enthusiasm brother Virgil.  And I am excited as well.  But until this team clinches the AFC East, and then goes on to win at least one playoff game, and is in the conversation of being a Super Bowl contender, or at least can start scoring 3 to 4 offensive TD's per game with regularity, we have not quite arrived....

3 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Hey Virgil, you have an interesting take on this Bills team.  (I will say that I was a Leodis McKelvin fan.  Guy could return punts as well as anyone we ever had, had good speed and played hard.  He was not a great player.  But he was a solid player and a stand up guy.  Had a decent NFL career)  I have been a fan since the mid 70's.  Seen some great Bills teams, some good Bills teams and a lot of below average to bad Bills teams.  But to say we have ARRIVED is a little premature, wouldn't you say??  Yes our roster looks quite good right now.  Especially after yesterday's draft.  I was harping for weeks on how we did not have enuf offensive weapons.  Well after yesterday, I like our offense a whole lot better.  Contrary to what some on here think, you need a lot of decent to good receivers over the life of a 16 game season to be successful.  

That all being said.  I think it is premature to say we have arrived.  We won 10 games last year with a weak schedule and a marginal offense.  We have not won a playoff game for 24 years.  (Loved that stat shoved in our face by ESPN graphics Friday nite)  I think we have arrived as far as becoming a very well run organization with an excellent GM and a solid head coach who has the makings of a very good head coach in the future.  But until we start playing the 2020 season, any statement that the team has arrived is far too premature.  Yes we have talent.  But we still have a young QB with lots of questions that he will need to answer.  We have a potentially good O line.  But lets see what they do when the pads go on.  We will have a much tougher schedule this season then last based on the divisions we will be playing.  

I appreciate and respect your enthusiasm brother Virgil.  And I am excited as well.  But until this team clinches the AFC East, and then goes on to win at least one playoff game, and is in the conversation of being a Super Bowl contender, or at least can start scoring 3 to 4 offensive TD's per game with regularity, we have not quite arrived....

Maybe I should clarify what I mean by “arrived.”   

To me, it’s any team that you expect to be in the hunt for playoffs.  They should win their division and an opposing teams won’t be surprised with a loss against us.  

It’s the teams you simply respect.  

Opposed to the teams you expect to beat, expect to find a way to lose, expect to not be a playoff threat.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

@Virgil I admit I'm sipping the Kool Aid too.  My favorite old school flavor was Choo Choo Cherry.

image.jpeg.ab32cd139cf5599b773cf4bfd9696926.jpeg

I don't know what that crap is, but "Pre-sweetened without sugar" is not Koolaid! The Koolaid packet says "fill the pitcher up with sugar and then put the flavoring and water in".

Looks more like a farting tomato than a cherry anyway.

Come ON!!!!

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I don't know what that crap is, but "Pre-sweetened without sugar" is not Koolaid! The Koolaid packet says "fill the pitcher up with sugar and then put the flavoring and water in".

Come ON!!!!

Do your farts come out of the top of your head?

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

For those that don't know me, I've been a BLAH BLAH BLAH.. I absolutely lost my ***** when the Bills lost to the Texans.  I mean, absolutely lost in with more anger than I can ever remember having about this team.  I even got myself banned for posting while angry, even though I still don't agree with the logic.  At the time, and moreso until the draft, I couldn't understand why that loss affected me so much.  I know that I suffer from chronic BBFS, but this was different.

BLAH BLAH BLAH 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I was the guy who lost his ***** when Allen was draft BLAH BLAH BLAH and Spiller made me question life.  Again, all for context.

We've arrived.  BLAH BLAH BLAH

Welcome to the New Era

So, following another last second playoff loss, we can expect another nuclear meltdown??

Here’s a BIG LAMP!

8E9E7411-EE8A-46D8-9BDD-6CAB6A5565A9.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

BLAH BLAH BLAH 

So, following another last second playoff loss, we can expect another nuclear meltdown??

Here’s a BIG LAMP!

8E9E7411-EE8A-46D8-9BDD-6CAB6A5565A9.jpeg

I want to tell you no but.....

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Come ON!!!!

We didn't  have money to waste on Kool Aid and ADD SUGAR!  We had to settle for Funny Face in the 60's.