New Era - Lamp

Virgil

For those that don't know me, I've been a Bills fan for over 25 years.  I write a post game summary that I inherited from @BillfromNYC (who can have it back whenever he wants), I help do the mock drafts, not-so-secret @Gugny man-crush, and I absolutely lost my ***** when the Bills lost to the Texans.  I mean, absolutely lost in with more anger than I can ever remember having about this team.  I even got myself banned for posting while angry, even though I still don't agree with the logic.  At the time, and moreso until the draft, I couldn't understand why that loss affected me so much.  I know that I suffer from chronic BBFS, but this was different.

I was here for the multiple 5-2 starts where the playoffs were a statistically strong probability.  When, even though we weren't a strong team, you had to make it in from 5-2, right?  Or all the Primetime games where we are up with only minutes left and it would require a turnover or a magical play to lose; we found a way in the most Billsy way possible

As the draft went on, I had players that I wanted to see us add.  I thought Dobbins was going to be a great value in the 2nd, but AJ was an even better value.  Also, Beane is the GM and has absolutely earned my trust and respect.  If he thinks AJ and Moss are the guys, then so be it.  I loved the Fromm pick and overall was more relaxed than previous drafts.  I was the guy who lost his ***** when Allen was draft (so happy to be wrong and I can't imagine anyone else as our QB), the McKelvin pick ruined a vacation I was on, and Spiller made me question life.  Again, all for context.

In any case, the conclusion I've come to realize is...

We've arrived.  We are a real, competitive team with a strong roster, good coach, good gm, and an owner who isn't going anywhere.  I got so upset in the Bills/Texans game because I EXPECTED us to win.  That's a big deal over the past 20 years.  We are so used to being happy with whatever we can get, the "happy to have a team in Buffalo and just be here" mentality.  But after 3 years of solid drafts, Primetime wins, locking up the playoffs with weeks left, and overall having a roster that is as good on paper as it is on the field...it's finally different.

I expect us to win the division.  I expect Allen to take another step forward.  I expect a home playoff game.  I expect us to be competitive in every game.  I expect, if we lose, to be pissed because we were the better team and capable of winning.  

As for the draft and my calmness, it's because I don't think we even needed this draft.  If we didn't have a single pick, my opinion about this upcoming season wouldn't change.  I'm not worried about what our divisional foes did.  I don't expect any of our draft guys to push us over the hump because we are already there.  All of these players are going to get limited playing time and if they suck, we will be fine.  They can only make us better.  I mean, when was the last time that's happened?  

It really is a New Era for the Bills.  The questions are gone for me.  The Bills have arrived and I think we are going to be here for a long time to come.  We have the cap management, off-season strategy, coaching, culture, and talent to fill out one of the strongest foundations I've seen in a long time.  

Embrace it, enjoy it.

Welcome to the New Era

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Beane and his staff did a good job of bringing in new talent.  Areas where we were thin are not so any longer.  It's up to McD and his coaching staff to use the talent, put game plans together to take advantage of the player's strengths, and win.  It's on McD now.

• Like (+1) 2

Well said.  I too have been a Bills fan for 40 years and we finally have a team I can say I am proud of.  A great combination of Owner, GM, Coach and QB that is going to take us all the way.  Enjoy Bills fans, we have arrived and it feels great.

Edited by JK Fan
Grammar error.

Virgil - every time I see that avatar I CAN NOT take you seriously!  Aside from that and unlike some others here I really enjoy your posts.  You are honest and wear your emotions on your sleeve.  Nothing wrong with that.  No need to worry about those snarky a-holes that slink around here.

I am glad they had the picks they had....some of those guys will slide in after others leave.  I too am liking Beane more and more.  If the Bills could ONLY help McD with his sometimes zany clock management skills - he seems to be improving with experience - and Josh makes the same jump he that did from year 1 to 2 this year should be very exciting indeed.

Since I have move to FL I miss not being able to watch the Bills in person and on TV...now it requires going to a bar....expensive but I have met some cool Bills fans for sure!!!

All in all.....Go Bills!!!!

31 minutes ago, JK Fan said:

Well said.  I too have been a Bills fan for 40 years and we finally have a team I can say I am proud of.  A great combination of Owner, GM, Coach and QB that is going to take us all the way.  Enjoy Bills fans, we have arrived and it feels great.

I too have been a long time fan.  Started rooting for the Bills in 1986..had season tixs from 1987 till 2012.....does anyone have any insight to the article in The Athletic about Terry and Kim and the toxic atmosphere accusations?  Or has that been beaten to a bloody pulp and I missed it?  Never mind....I finally found it.....

Edited by Kwai San

Spot on in regard to this being a new era.  It’s amazing what a great FO and coaching staff can do for a franchise in relatively short order.

I honestly believe Beane to be one of the best GMs in the NFL.  I would even argue he is at the very least top 3 and will have a case for the best GM in football if Bills make the SB or even AFCC game this year.  

Thinking about where this team was when they took over and where it is now is crazy.  IMHO we are the third best team in the AFC right now before the players hit the field.  KC obviously has the top spot until someone proves otherwise, and Baltimore has a narrow grasp on 2 from us, but we proved last year we can beat them as long as we don’t beat ourselves.  And we are better goin hi to this year than when we last played them, so I think gap is close.  

There are some other tough teams potentially in the AFC like the Steelers for instance, but I think if anyone was to do an honest ranking it’s hard not to put the Bills at 3.  

Cant remember any year since the Super Bowl era where we had a legit claim before the season as a top 3 team.  

What I love most about the team Beane built is how close all the players are with each other, the types of players they built around, etc.  This team just feels special and honestly can’t think of a better player suited to lead this team than Josh Allen, a better coach suited for this team than McD, or a better GM for this franchise than Beane.  

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah...

The part I relate most to is that this was the first draft I’ve EVER experienced that I felt like the Bills didn’t even need. They were battle ready BEFORE the draft.

Our general manager has a great understanding of what needs to improve each offseason, and he attacks those areas of improvement in varied, strategic, intelligent ways, and does so while respecting draft value and remaining cap sound.

Our coaching staff is one of the very best in the league.

Our roster and culture are exceptional.

We won multiple big time games last year that we would have normally lost in stupid fashion. We clinched playoffs with WEEKS to go. We all EXPECTED to win that playoff game.

You’re right. It’s a new era.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

@NewEra care to comment?

sure thing!!

my username has nothing to do with the hat co.  
I made this account the day after we had traded for Drew Bledsoe.  A day or two after we had drafted my favorite player in college football from the 2001 season, Josh Reed (and Mike Williams, ugh).  We were terrible in 2001.  It had been several seasons since Jimbo had retired and I had had enough of the Flutie, Rj charade.  Didn’t like either of them.  Hated Flukie.  

I thought landing Bledsoe was a turning point and that it was a “newera”.  The Bledsoe era.  Then, instead of the Bills constructing a Drew Bledsoe statue at the Rich, Drew Bledsoe actually turned himself into a statue.....and the new era was over before we knew it.

I didn’t know how right I was that that was the beginning of a new era.....of futility.  Those uniforms, ugh. Those QB’s, ugh.  Those coaches, ugh.    Willie Parker..... UGGGGH

@Virgil you’re right my man, it IS a new era. The McBeane era looks to be fruitful for us Bills fans.  Feels good again

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well done, Virg. 

I am of the same mindset; this draft had zero stress in it at all. I love the first two picks, and everything else is gravy and we'll see. 

This front office is already equal to the Polian/Butler era. Yeah I said it, I've lived throug both! And I made it through the Fire Swamp in between.

Why The Princess Bride Is a Perfect Fantasy Movie | Den of Geek