Compilation of draft grades

Reader

15 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Thank you. Ryan Dunleavy at NY Post has become PE #1 and deserves much ridicule.

Yeah one has to wonder if there is an implicit, or maybe explicit, bias from someone in New York on grading the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reader said:

Yeah one has to wonder if there is an implicit, or maybe explicit, bias from someone in New York on grading the Bills.

Huh? USA Today gave them a B-, which is pretty close to a C+.

The NYP gave the Cardinals an A-. What’s their bias there?

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh? USA Today gave them a B-, which is pretty close to a C+.

The NYP gave the Cardinals an A-. What’s their bias there?

It is certainly a tinfoilish statement on my part. I'd just be curious to know if someone in New York could potentially be a tougher grader for the Bills specifically. We would be tied for the 8th worst draft by NYP's measure.

This is interesting.

I don't put much faith in draft grades.   How much does a guy sitting in his home office actually know about all these prospects. 

An NFL team employs a team of scouts, watches countless hours of video, compiles advanced analytics, conducts player interviews, utilizes insider information...  even hires private investigators in some cases.   A Mel Kiper or Todd McShay just can't compete.  They don't have the resources (money, man hours, sources) - not even close.

But there might be something to this "wisdom of the masses" approach.  Collectively, the draft gurus might actually give out accurate draft grades.   And I'm happy to see the Bills scored much higher than the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

It is certainly a tinfoilish statement on my part. I'd just be curious to know if someone in New York could potentially be a tougher grader for the Bills specifically. We would be tied for the 8th worst draft by NYP's measure.

Is that really that shocking? We drafted some solid players IMO but player evaluation is subjective. Got a DE whose stock fell basically all year, and the 7th RB off the board. If you didn’t think AJ was all that special, and weren’t particularly impressed with Moss, you’d think it was a mediocre draft. 

Everyone talked about 3 big needs (WR, DE, RB) going in.....and that's what they got with their round 1-4 picks.

Depth on this team has improved dramatically the past couple years, allowing them to spend late round picks on less critical but still important needs;  eg., backup QB, K, and projects at WR and CB.

You can never be sure if you hit the right guys, so you can really only grade it based on the plan and execution.  So to me, it's an A.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Draft grades...the most irrelevant indicator of all time.

Let's review these "grades" in 3 years..

Hey man, you watching any good sports games lately? Might as well let us enjoy these things in the meantime.

7 minutes ago, McBean said:

At the same time, I think all of the B grades for the Bills must not have taken Diggs' value into account. 

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

At the same time, I think all of the B grades for the Bills must not have taken Diggs' value into account. 

There's two lines of thought on this...and the prevailing one is that he cost draft pick, but he wasn't a draft pick. They're grading the draft picks, not the value that trading draft picks returned (think how crazy that would get with 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th round picks). 

The grases sound about right. I think the Jets draft is a little overblown because they have such glaring holes in places. Bills have the opposite problem...not a lot of holes. Looking at a lot of their picks it's easy to see the draft picks having trouble making the roster in many places which is why you see them doing things like drafting a kicker and backup QB

Mims for example is going to be a day 1 starter for the Jets regardless of how he does in camp(I mean, barring a complete Jachai Polite level implosion). Epenesa is going to make the roster for the Bills, but he's likely to be deep in the rotation even if he performs well. He's going to have to really impress to get any significant playing time. 

Edited by jeremy2020

51 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I see Thor from rotoworld bringing the big hammer to most teams

Thor.thumb.jpg.ba9998a8169bed1db1d6bbfcf254a5e2.jpg

Good. Half of those guy give all A's and B's with an occasional C+. It's kind of ridiculous. If you don't like a team's draft, give them an F.

I see GB is the whipping boy for taking a QB, but how was their draft otherwise?

21 minutes ago, McBean said:

And yet, what else is there to do a couple days after the draft?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reader said:

A “tinfoilish” statement. I like that. I’m definitely going to use it. One of my bosses believes every conspiracy theory he reads on the internet

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Well as someone living in the NYC area I can tell you that the press here reflexively disrespects the Bills, regards them as a perpetual joke, and thinks they should be 2-14 every year. 

And that goes double for the Jets fans I have to deal with.

Edited by CarpetCrawler