Bills sign Trey Adams

gjv001

39 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Sounds like a prime practice squad candidate. 

Better than that, you may be surprised given your stance but this man played all 13 games in 2019 and wasn't bad. Bills have been watching him for 3 years. I am surprised they didn't take him where the punter was taken. RT and backup to LT was needed. Bet Adams had a deal to sign and didn't promote himself wanting to come here with a promise. If draft oh well. It is strange Bills didn't select a lineman because some had then using 2nd pick on a need for OT with 54.

35 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The year and half dealing with injuries had to be tough. An ACL and then back surgery.  He showed good perseverance coming back from each injury and immediately moved back into the starting line-up the last third of 2018 and all of 2019.  I think all his flaws are fixable..he just needs reps and a little Bobby Johnson whoop ass....I think he becomes a pet project. 

The answer to the combine question was a maturity thing-- its really funny, however, sometimes you give the second answer that pops in your head not the first.  That's my rule for answering questions from my wife....

17 straight games played for 2018 to 2019, this man is not hurt anymore.

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

100% chance he is stashed on IR for 2020

Why, he played 17 straight games from end of 2018 to 2019?

6 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Better than that, you may be surprised given your stance but this man played all 13 games in 2019 and wasn't bad. Bills have been watching him for 3 years. I am surprised they didn't take him where the punter was taken. RT and backup to LT was needed. Bet Adams had a deal to sign and didn't promote himself wanting to come here with a promise. If draft oh well. It is strange Bills didn't select a lineman because some had then using 2nd pick on a need for OT with 54.

I hope I am surprised. I think OL is the weakest link on the team right now, though they are vastly improved from a couple of years ago. Would love to see a monster OT come out of no where. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

2016...   good player - maybe a future 1st rounder

2017...   torn ACL

2018...   back surgery

2019...   mediocre player - not fully recovered?

Here are the closing sentences of a good article on Trey from SB Nation:

"If you’re an NFL GM wanting to take a chance on him in the later rounds, obviously your angle would be hoping that with time Adams could return to his earlier form or at least near it. Who knows if that’s possible — likely it’s not, but if your team drafts him at a later round and he does overcome his injury history and get his athleticism back to earlier, then you’ve obviously just gotten a huge steal."

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2020/4/19/21226649/washington-huskies-football-nfl-draft-profile-trey-adams

He played 17 straight game and a 5th round projection. If Bills selected him instead of the punter we would say he makes the Roster as a backup, fell because of injuries. mid college career. The fact this is COVID year has more to do why he wasn't draft. This man needs footwork to take a starting job but is very well capable to be the 2nd tackle in as backup. 1st round projection puts him a higher talented guy then anyone on the O-line with the Bills. So right now I think this was a steal. No way the Bills cut this guy. He is on IR, backup or RT starter end of camp. Not even Practice squad because someone will take him to backup after a full camp with Bills.

45 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The year and half dealing with injuries had to be tough. An ACL and then back surgery.  He showed good perseverance coming back from each injury and immediately moved back into the starting line-up the last third of 2018 and all of 2019.  I think all his flaws are fixable..he just needs reps and a little Bobby Johnson whoop ass....I think he becomes a pet project. 

The answer to the combine question was a maturity thing-- its really funny, however, sometimes you give the second answer that pops in your head not the first.  That's my rule for answering questions from my wife....

Smart man. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is good pickup. We’re definitely the right place for him to get his body right if he ever can.

17 straight games he played from end of 2018 to 2019. The question isn't if he is healthy, he is. The question is will his foot work allow him to be the Bills starter. Surprised another team didn't take him he could start RT on a lot of bad teams now. Bills have talent so he needs to beat out Williams or Ford for RT starting position. He will be groomed to be LT backup if he isn't ready to steal job at RT now. That said he is healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

For a case study, here’s his film from the OSU game this past year to give a taste how he’d do against elite rushers (Adams #72, Chase Young #2) - note, not all his snaps go against Young at LT, and he does get spelled at times during the game. Quite a few cut blocks, and being caught off balance and flat-footed during speed rushes to the outside. Long reach comes in play, and difficult to move off his spot, but I can see him struggling with speed rushers at the next level, more so than Ford currently. For an UDFA though - fantastic zero risk signing. 

Not an expert in the least, but being local I fortunately saw him play every week, and never doubted he’d be on an NFL roster at this point. Overall, he has the size and physicality, but if you hated Ford’s feet this isn’t going to make anyone feel better. Agreed, hopefully strength and conditioning helps him with agility and balance when attained. But given where he was in his recovery for this game last year, many pros and cons are visible:

Edited by ctk232
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Washington offensive lineman Trey Adams

Adams, who is 6-foot-8 and 314 pounds, might have been the best lineman in the Pac-12 two years ago but knee and back surgeries derailed his college career. A disastrous combine didn't help. He had a 5.6-second 40-yard dash, a 24.5-inch vertical leap and a 7-foot-8 broad jump, among the worst at the combine. Adams had several offers, before deciding on the Bills.

He of course picked Bills due to medical staff and good possibility of being on practice squad since Bills will have at least 10 other linemen in camp.

43 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

17 straight games played for 2018 to 2019, this man is not hurt anymore.

Why, he played 17 straight games from end of 2018 to 2019?

So they can keep him and get him healthier and not have him count towards the 53,  like they did with Vosean this past year. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

Nice player to end up on PS give him a year in the facility and training staff 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Sounds like a prime practice squad candidate. 

yeah, I’m with you guys.  However, and I know you know this, but we have to cut him to get him to the practice squad and that means everyone will have to take a pass on him before we re-sign, which I am not sure will be the case.

I know this isn’t popular here, I feel we should be looking at multiple LTs.  Bring in as many as we can.  I truly believe paying Dion Dawkins 20 mill a year is a huge mistake.  

I’d rather start someone slightly worse than him at 1-2 mill a year than him at 20.  

when you draft really well, you can’t pay everyone.  I believe we’re drafting really well.  If we pay everyone now, we won’t be able to pay everyone later.  

adding guys like Adams makes me happy.  Not to say Beane is bringing guys in to replace Dawkins, but if we can find a diamond in the rough at LT, it would really allow us to do some things going forward.

Slightly above average LTs shouldn’t make 20 mill a year imo. Those teams that pay it, good luck 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I know this isn’t popular here, I feel we should be looking at multiple LTs.  Bring in as many as we can.  I truly believe paying Dion Dawkins 20 mill a year is a huge mistake.  

I’d rather start someone slightly worse than him at 1-2 mill a year than him at 20.  

when you draft really well, you can’t pay everyone.  I believe we’re drafting really well.  If we pay everyone now, we won’t be able to pay everyone later.  

adding guys like Adams makes me happy.  Not to say Beane is bringing guys in to replace Dawkins, but if we can find a diamond in the rough at LT, it would really allow us to do some things going forward.

Slightly above average LTs shouldn’t make 20 mill a year imo. Those teams that pay it, good luck 

I share this view.   Dawkins hasn't impressed me as the guy to anchor the left side.   I'm prepared to be wrong, but I haven't seen it yet.  

The best news would be if Adams actually made the team this year.  That could happen if his attitude is right and he shows the raw ability.    Bills might be willing to go into 2020 with less than the best possible combination of tackles in order to keep a prospect who might look like the real answer on the left.   

• Like (+1) 1