Astro’s Bills Draft Recap

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

I still don't get the kicker pick with the players Astro listed on the board. 

The Bills wanted the best kicker in the draft and didn't mind giving up a 6th to ensure they did. Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The Bills wanted the best kicker in the draft and didn't mind giving up a 6th to ensure they did. Pretty simple.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You will if Bass turns out to be one of the best kickers in the league

I hope they're right. Kickers tend to be found without giving up draft capital to do it. 71.4% percentage from last year doesn't encourage me (and that's not in windy New Era either). Plus, if he's the best kicker, wouldn't he have been the first drafted? With a team presumably gearing up for a major run this year do you want to trust the field goal kicking to a rookie kicker? I honestly hope he does great and we look back and say that was a genius pick. I just have my doubts

Edited by BubbaT

30 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

I hope they're right. Kickers tend to be found without giving up draft capital to do it. 71.4% percentage from last year doesn't encourage me (and that's not in windy New Era either). Plus, if he's the best kicker, wouldn't he have been the first drafted? With a team presumably gearing up for a major run this year do you want to trust the field goal kicking to a rookie kicker? I honestly hope he does great and we look back and say that was a genius pick. I just have my doubts

That's fine, but nobody would bat an eyelash if the Bills drafted a CB with that pick and he didn't make the team, because it's a 6th rounder. Or any other position, for that matter. So why would it be such a travesty if the Kicker didn't work out?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I still don't get the kicker pick with the players Astro listed on the board. 

Did you see his 58 yard FG attempt at the senior bowl practice in this article. He hit the upright about 5/8 the way up.... if it were to not hit the upright it had the distance for 65-70....

I watched the kid in person at those practices and watched him drill a 53 yard FG that cleared the cross bar by at least 10 yards. Kid has a big leg. 50-55 is no question. 40-50 f FG or this kid is a chip shot.

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's fine, but nobody would bat an eyelash if the Bills drafted a CB with that pick and he didn't make the team, because it's a 6th rounder. Or any other position, for that matter. So why would it be such a travesty if the Kicker didn't work out?

Mostly because 99% of NFL teams find their kickers without wasting draft capital to do it. Doesn't mean it's wrong, just unusual. We'll see how it works out. The Bills once drafted Gary Anderson, who turned out to be on an all decade team and might still be the leading scorer in Steeler history, and cut him in training camp. Sometimes it's easier to evaluate kickers when they've been elsewhere and many times they perform better in games once they've had some experience.

Edited by BubbaT

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

When you get your roster to the point where 7th rounders have a hard time making it you do this

im all for it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

That sure is/was the way most teams went about it. And for a while I would have agreed it was a good strategy. But in the past couple years several  teams have churned through multiple kickers. So if the brain trust thinks they see something from this guy that makes him a much better sprocket than the guys likely to be there as an UDFA, then I'm all for it. 

If he's not "The Man", they missed on a 6th rounder. If they don't take him, maybe the Bills are one of those teams having kicker competitions several times a year, because their lack of the reliable kicker cost them a game, or two.  I can only imagine the reaction then: "There were highly rated kickers in the draft. Why didn't Beane draft one in the late rounds?"

It's a risk either way. I like the confident play.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have no problem — absolutely none — with using a sixth round pick on a kicker. Further, I would suggest that Bass has a better chance to make the 53-man roster than, say, a linebacker or safety would have. 

In in terms of chances of sticking on the final roster and the long term impact they’ll have on a team, kickers beat special teams-only late round players.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Pretty lame statement there don’t ya think?  You act as if scouting is a science and absolute.  Was Tom Brady the first QB taken?  He’s the best qb ever.......

the draft is a roll of the dice, especially in the 6th and 7th rd. That’s what Beane did. Rolled the dice on the guy who many had as the best kicker.  A kicker with a monster leg.  He created a competition.  Now let them compete 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

Mostly because 99% of NFL teams find their kickers without wasting draft capital to do it. Doesn't mean it's wrong, just unusual. We'll see how it works out. The Bills once drafted Gary Anderson, who turned out to be on an all decade team and might still be the leading scorer in Steeler history, and cut him in training camp. Sometimes it's easier to evaluate kickers when they've been elsewhere and many times they perform better in games once they've had some experience.

There is no draft capital after the 5th round. Late rounders are just as likely to get cut as udfa's. We've witnessed Hauschka tail off the last couple years at 78%. And clearly Sean has lost faith in him beyond 48 yards. Give this kid a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Lou Groza semifinalist, and Steven Hauschka is reaching retirement, but BAss was picked over Kenny Willekes, Trey Adams, Khalil Davis, Yasir Durant, J.R. Reed, and Donovan Peoples-Jones. Blankenship was the Lou Groza Award-winner and still on the board, as were a parade of CBs. 

Well Bills got a CB after him and got Trey Adams as UDFA.  I am guessing Bills felt that with trouble teams had with kickers last year Bass would not last.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pretty lame statement there don’t ya think?  You act as if scouting is a science and absolute.  Was Tom Brady the first QB taken?  He’s the best qb ever.......

the draft is a roll of the dice, especially in the 6th and 7th rd. That’s what Beane did. Rolled the dice on the guy who many had as the best kicker.  A kicker with a monster leg.  He created a competition.  Now let them compete 

It is hard to tell from college whether a player will be the best cheater of all time unless you have inside information he cheated on tests and did not get caught because father was major donor to school.