My Thoughts on the Draft.

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Seeing as Ozzie Newsome gave up a fifth rounder for Calais Campbell, why wouldn’t he consider him his fifth round pick?

Regardless of what Beane or this board says, we didn’t draft Stefon Diggs. The Vikings drafted at our pick because we didn’t draft anybody in the first round.

Christ, this is the “Sammy only cost one first round pick” double speak crap all over again.

Man, someone mentioned the 2016 draft earlier, and now you have me thinking, “They considered Ragland in the first!”

?

I was gonna write a draft recap, but don’t really need to now as I would have said just about all the same things, although you know more about Davis than I did as I’ve only really seen highlights.

The one spot I would be slightly different on, is AJ Espensa.  I was a little bit higher on him than you.  While I wanted a WR at 22, my second choice was Espensa.  

All of the top OL in this draft said he was the best and toughest defender they ever faced.  He is a complete edge player IMO because he can get to the QB but he’s also a beast against the run.

He may not be a guy who will challenge for league lead in sacks, but he’s a guy that will likely be in the 8 to 12 range each year but also have a lot more tackles than most edge guys and really be an impact on run defense.  

And for me, I would take a guy like that all day long over a finesse pass rusher who may get a few more sacks but offer little in run defense or tackling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

It is somewhat important that you identify the right guy. Excusing yourself for sloppiness/incorrectness is not a good look. 

Newsome is the VP and former GM. He has a ton of say in that building, don’t kid yourself.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Seeing as Ozzie Newsome gave up a fifth rounder for Calais Campbell, why wouldn’t he consider him his fifth round pick?

Regardless of what Beane or this board says, we didn’t draft Stefon Diggs. The Vikings drafted at our pick because we didn’t draft anybody in the first round.

Christ, this is the “Sammy only cost one first round pick” double speak crap all over again.

Man, someone mentioned the 2016 draft earlier, and now you have me thinking, “They considered Ragland in the first!”

Listen, I am no fan of Whaley, but.......................

In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Browns (4th overall) and the Bills (9th overall) swapped picks. The cost for the Bills was a 2015 1st and a 4th rounder.

So, in reality, the Bills traded away ONE, and I mean ONE, 1st round draft choice to get to 4th overall.

Why is this so freaking difficult for people to understand?

Trading away multiple 1st's is what Minnesota did to get Walker, not what Buffalo did to get Watkins. Geez.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Listen, I am no fan of Whaley, but.......................

In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Browns (4th overall) and the Bills (9th overall) swapped picks. The cost for the Bills was a 2015 1st and a 4th rounder.

So, in reality, the Bills traded away ONE, and I mean ONE, 1st round draft choice to get to 4th overall.

Why is this so freaking difficult for people to understand?

Trading away multiple 1st's is what Minnesota did to get Walker, not what Buffalo did to get Watkins. Geez.

Here we go lol.

1st round pick in 2014 and 1st round pick in 2015 = Sammy Watkins is a Bill. 2 1st round picks. 

1st round pick in 2020 (and other picks) = Stefon Diggs is a Bill. 1 1st round pick.

It’s that simple. You count ALL the picks used to acquire a player, not just the traded one.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was gonna write a draft recap, but don’t really need to now as I would have said just about all the same things, although you know more about Davis than I did as I’ve only really seen highlights.

The one spot I would be slightly different on, is AJ Espensa.  I was a little bit higher on him than you.  While I wanted a WR at 22, my second choice was Espensa.  

All of the top OL in this draft said he was the best and toughest defender they ever faced.  He is a complete edge player IMO because he can get to the QB but he’s also a beast against the run.

He may not be a guy who will challenge for league lead in sacks, but he’s a guy that will likely be in the 8 to 12 range each year but also have a lot more tackles than most edge guys and really be an impact on run defense.  

And for me, I would take a guy like that all day long over a finesse pass rusher who may get a few more sacks but offer little in run defense or tackling.

I bet you he's going to force turnovers too.

That draft fell into the Bills laps perfectly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Here we go lol.

1st round pick in 2014 and 1st round pick in 2015 = Sammy Watkins is a Bill. 2 1st round picks. 

1st round pick in 2020 (and other picks) = Stefon Diggs is a Bill. 1 1st round pick.

It’s that simple. You count ALL the picks used to acquire a player, not just the traded one.

Ok, got it.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the write up MB.

You commented on the actual picks, but were there any players which you liked much more in respective rounds when we were picking?

Edit: Also, can we please avoid that silly discussion that FireChans started? It brings nothing to this thread.

Edited by No_Matter_What

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Love the write up. Primary area of disagreement is saying Epenesa should lose 15 pounds. I would argue he needs the weight (and a pro-level strength program) to take his game to the next level. Playing 250 on a 6’6” frame as an end would make him much more ‘beatable’. 

You can get them digitally now. Not nearly as hard as it used to be to get a replacement. Phew! ? 

I think 270 would be perfect playing weight. It’s not a pure weight thing. It is more a lost the excess fat gain muscle. That would I think give him more burst while keeping the power. I think he looks soft at 280 meaning I think he is carrying a bit to much fat is all

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Can agree if you think about it we really were not that far off grade we are taking 15 picks. But also agree on what he brings from the base end. If that is the expectation people will be happy. Outside of Young I was not high on any of the quick twitch DEs. None of them would have pushed or unseated Hughes so it wasn’t a great year for that RDE. However AJ can absolutely push Murphy Now and could move Murphy out of the starting lineup immediately so that is perfect 

22 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for the write up MB.

You commented on the actual picks, but were there any players which you liked much more in respective rounds when we were picking?

There are always picks I had liked better. But when I look at the choices I try to leave my Bias out of it. That is why I wait to write about it so I don’t look at the picks through my Bias. 

like the Davis Pick. Personally me I would have taken Amrik Robertson at DB. 

Edited by MAJBobby

35 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Im suprised by Hodges.  His athletic profile is bizare to say the least.  Has elite movement on a tall lanky frame.  I think he could become our big slot very quickly.  

I was very surprised how quick his feet are on that long frame as well. 

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t really know what the point of this is but I’ll say this, if they would’ve strongly considered Espanesa at 22 then they basically got Diggs for free.

That's a good take on this. I agree. Beane is good, but he's also lucky. A good and lucky GM, we deserve it.

1 hour ago, boater said:

That's a good take on this. I agree. Beane is good, but he's also lucky. A good and lucky GM, we deserve it.

Agree that’s their is Luck involved. Example he stressed until 86 trying to move up could find no takers and Moss still fell to him. 

now move that later in the draft he said he had a deal all worked out to move to an NFC team 3-4 spots ahead of him. Just as parameters finalized the player they wanted was took (luck ran out). 

but I also feel in the draft if you know how to read what is going on in front of you and understand the league you can shape your Luck. That is where the Good part of being a GM is. 

• Like (+1) 3