My Thoughts on the Draft.

MAJBobby

Stephon Diggs - well done getting one of the top Route runners in the NFL. For years we have struggled watching Bills WRs able to get separation now all three of our starters get major Separation with Brown, Diggs and Beasley. To go get a WR in his prime was the best move they could have made in this draft. Beane called it right as well after the trade saying the package we used could get us to 18 and he thinks the top WRs would be gone. Lamb was the last one and was gone at 17. That is great foresight a month and a half away from the draft. 

AJ Epenesa - During the draft run up he was a top 20 projected pick for 8 months. (I never saw it, I actually thought this edge class was overrated due to a weak class). However I did have him graded late 1st/early 2nd guy. Now with that said still about 20 pick value at 54. What I like is his power and consistency. I think he was a little heavy at 280. I think with an NFL nutrition program he can drop 10 to 15 keep his power and gain even more burst. His burst now isn’t bad. He will be your Base End (LDE) not enough quickness to play against the top LTs. I don’t think you are ever going to see top end sack numbers but a consistent 5-8 sack guy a year (probably most coming from interior if he reduces down). Put a very very powerful guy with lethal hands will also greatly aid in setting the edge. Also think he has protected the long arm (meaning I think you will see him get the ball from the QB in his rush more than the sack, this will be limited going into the QBs face from the left spot but going up against the likes of Tua (lefty) will bring the Fumble into play. If down the line he leans out keeps his power and builds more burst and quickness to move to the RDE spot not only will the sacks come but the strip sacks will as well. Heck of a player we got pure football player. 

Zach Moss - Probably my favorite pick. And before I go on this is not a dig on Singletary, just more of a compliment of Moss. Give it a year and if he stays healthy he would be your RB1. That is how much people will love him. His vision is great, feet are great, sneaky good out of the backfield, can pass block well, runs mean. He is just as likely to run you over as he is to jump cut you. What does concern me is his Injuries. And I don’t think that they are going to go away so it is good to have two young RBs. He has around 800 carries with a vicious running style and because of that I think he gets hurt more than he should. If I am the Bills I am teaching him how to take care of his body. He doesn’t always have to be the one putting the other in the cold tub. If his vicious running will turn a 10 yard gain into a 12 yard gain (on 3rd and 4) I hope the Bills can teach him that is an opportunity to take care of your body. But I don’t want to completely change his running just have him make better choices. However as a third round pick. If you give me 1 Rookie Contract before breaking down it is a win and will take that from RBs all day long. 

Gabriel Davis - really like this pick as well. Now that said he is a developing player. Watching him all the time as a UCF season ticket holder there is talent there. First anytime UCF needed a play he was who they looked at (9/10 he made it for him). While at UCF he lined up eat outside. There are reasons for that because he just relied on his for given ability and UCF didn’t want to try and change it his routes are not precise. So on in breaking routes the extra 2-3 yards he lined up compared to most outside WRs helped him still get the separation with his rounded routes.  Not slow but not quick either. His speed builds over time so his routes are rounded which works in college. Not only does he have to learn more of the route tree but the nuances of running routes. He is plenty quick enough to gain separation out of breaks if fought how to do it properly. I think he is a High end WR2 ceiling (many UCF fans would kill me for saying that they think he is a legit One. I don’t). However all that said about routes. He has been working on them every day and people are saying they are getting better. Even 30 minutes after hearing his name called he was out with UCF QB running routes. the work ethic and kid are top notch. 

Jake Fromm - probably the surprise of the draft to a lot of people. I also really like this pick because I see him for what he is a player that likely will have a long 20 year career as a BU and eventually transitioning to a coach. His physical attributes are limited but his football mind is amazing. That is what I want in a BU an ultra smart player that if called on can come in and perform under limited reps. The value in the 5th was just too much to keep ignoring. If people think but we didn’t need him we have Barkley let me point to the NE game. We had that game won if Barkley could have been AVG. he puked himself and at that point I knew it was time to move on. I would have thought they would have gone a Vet but I applaud going with a young player. And who knows maybe by year three he is flipped for two 2nds like a Schaub trade or even a 2nd like Jimmy G. And Beane turned a 5th into multiple pick return in a couple years. Also I love his attitude. He has out performed and beat out more talented players his entire career. 

Tyler Bass - Love the pick as well. An ultra strong leg kicker. Kid was booming Kicks at the Senior Bowl. Posting videos of drilling 50 yarders with no approach just leg swing and 60 yarders with a 1 step approach. Love the signal drafting a kicker sends to your Vet as well. It seems the Waiver Claim mid season of McLaughlin woke Hausch up. What would drafting a kicker do. To be honest I think it is Bass’s job to lose. But perfect spot for a position group that probably is the easiest way onto the Roster. 

Isaiah Hodgins - don’t know much about him others will know more. What I do know is his hands are amazing. He catches EVERYTHING. He also has some sick quick feet for a Big WR. Watching what little I did I would put him below Davis in terms of right now. But with a higher ceiling. He could become a legit No1 WR with development. But he just has a longer climb to get their than Davis does to get to his ceiling as a WR2. 

Dane Jackson - I really know nothing about him. But glad they went and got a CB somewhere. I think he projects more inside than outside. But I have to defer to McD and Beane here one thing they seem to know is DBs and how to get the most out of them. 

all and all I would give this draft a solid A. Great Value all around and the did what they needed to do without reaching. On getting weapons, Youth at EDGE, a BU QB and Kicker Competition. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 14

24 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

What a difference a competent front office makes. Beane and Co are draft gods. Please Mr Pegula, lock these guys up long term

Agree I think one of the few drafts that after the pick was made I didn’t say WTF. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

Great analysis. 

That’s exactly how I feel about each pick.  Thanks for saving me all that time of writing it

i feel like the Hodgins pick is going to make us really happy down the road. The guys catches everything.  That’s what we needed.  Someone with the mitts to catch his lasers.  Hopefully he can adjust to his velocity and have the same results

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Bills pretty much went BPA which I believe in.  Having a decent roster means that the team doesn't have to "reach" to fill desperate needs on either side of the ball, consequently no 'WTF picks".  Now, if the Bills can re-sign their top performers from recent drafts, they'll be on their way to doing what teams that consistently make the playoffs do -- grab talented players regardless of position rather than trying to fill holescreated by continually letting their top young starters leave in FA.

• Like (+1) 3

Agree with most of what you said.   A draft where, after every pick, I just thought “ok, I like it!”... maybe I just trust anything Beane does at this point. 

I love Fromm as a football player.. I do worry about his arm in cold and/or windy weather.  He clearly doesn’t have a cannon, but if he can handle the elements of football north of the Mason Dixon Line, we got ourselves a tremendous backup QB. 

Moss/Epenesa were homerun picks.  

Taking two WRs in a loaded WR draft, even after trading for Diggs, is something I absolutely loved. 

No issue with Bass or Jackson.  McDermott is a secondary wizard and it may be time to move on from Haushka. 

I would’ve liked a punter, but Beane seems pretty high on Vedvik being that competition for Bojo.  

Most exciting camp battle is going to be for the last 2-3 WR spots.  “Iron sharpens iron”... Duke, McKenzie and Foster better bring it if they want to hold off Davis and Hodgins.  

Edited by SCBills

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Pedantic. They spent picks for him.

Wow, can’t believe the Ravens drafted Calais Campbell in the fifth! The Broncos drafted AJ Bouye and Jurell Casey in the late rounds! The 49ers found out Joe Staley was retiring and drafted Trent Williams this year and next year!

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

All you have to do is read the OP’s paragraph here to get that logic. Maybe it was sarcasm by FC...?

No, it’s absolutely silly. I loved the Diggs move. No one talks about players acquired by trading picks as “drafted players.” See above.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We didn’t draft Stefon Diggs!!!

Don’t be so obtuse, 
We used draft capital to get him, just like we did with the rest of this years draftees. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Wow, can’t believe the Ravens drafted Calais Campbell in the fifth! The Broncos drafted AJ Bouye and Jurell Casey in the late rounds! The 49ers found out Joe Staley was retiring and drafted Trent Williams this year and next year!

No, it’s absolutely silly. I loved the Diggs move. No one talks about players acquired by trading picks as “drafted players.” See above.

cool so in your draft Thought thread you can leave Diggs out. I look forward to reading it. ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Dude, just don’t read that first Paragraph.

”Problem” solved. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

@TPS see, pedantic.

Moss is the only one there I disagree with to an extent. Not that I hate the pick but I am a little lower on him than you.

I know zero about kickers. That is @Blokestradamus domain. The only thing I'd say about that pick is if you draft a kicker you better think he has at least a 50/50 chance of making your roster.

Jackson has inside / outside flex. If you start from the basis that Tre, Wallace, Norman and Taron Johnson are making the team and that EJ Gaines has the best shot at the 5th spot then Jackson can be your #2 slot but with ability to go outside in a pinch to avoid Isaiah McKenzie having to play corner!!

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Moss is the only one there I disagree with to an extent. Not that I hate the pick but I am a little lower on him than you.

I know zero about kickers. That is @Blokestradamus domain. The only thing I'd say about that pick is if you draft a kicker you better think he has at least a 50/50 chance of making your roster.

Jackson has inside / outside flex. If you start from the basis that Tre, Wallace, Norman and Taron Johnson are making the team and that EJ Gaines has the best shot at the 5th spot then Jackson can be your #2 slot but with ability to go outside in a pinch to avoid Isaiah McKenzie having to play corner!!

thanks for more on Jackson.