Post-Draft Roster Predictions

22 hours ago, quincy said:

My attempt

QB Allen                      QB Fromm (R)

HB Singletary           HB Moss (R)

WR Diggs                   WR Davis (R)

WR Brown                 WR Williams

WR Beasley               WR Hodgins (R)

TE Knox                      TE Kroft

LT Dawkins                LT Nsekhe

LG Spain                    LG

OC Morse                  OC Long

RG Feliciano             RG

RT Ford                       RT Williams

HB Jones                    K Bass (R)

FB Gilliam (R)            P Vedvik

TE Sweeney               LS Ferguson

RS Roberts

DE Hughes                 DE Addison

DT Star                        DT Butler

DT Oliver                     DT Phillips

DE Jefferson             DE Epenesa (R)

OLB Klein                   OLB Thompson

MLB Edmunds        MLB Matakevich

OLB Milano               OLB Joseph

CB White                     CB Gaines

CB Norman                CB Wallace

FS Poyer                      FS J. Johnson

SS Hyde                       SS Marlowe

DE D. Johnson

CB Neal

CB T. Johnson

CB Jackson (R)

The above is a 53 man roster. If it is a 55 man squad then add OG Boehm and DE Murphy.

I think Barkley has served his purpose and we can go forward with Fromm as the backup QB.

Yeldon loses out to Taiwan Jones. McKenzie is supplanted by the two rookies.

DiMarco isn’t a significant player can be replaced by Gilliam. Lee Smith is no longer needed.

Replacement at both kicker and punter. Hauschka is getting old and doesn’t look the same post the Jets injury.

Murphy is the odd man out on the defensive line I think, Ryan Bates is unlucky on the OL unless he is retained over Boehm.

Ultimately my 53rd man choice was between Yeldon and Darryl Johnson. I also wanted to keep all 7 draft choices we made this year on the active roster.

Every draft pick makes the team + gilliam?  And Vedvik?

wondering what people saw in vedvik to keep him over Bojo. Bojo had a tough start but he finished pretty strong imo.  

On 4/26/2020 at 6:44 AM, RealKayAdams said:

Whatcha got, Bills fans? I need help with mine:

K (1): Hauschka

P (1): Bojorquez

LS (1): Ferguson

QB (2): Allen, Barkley

RB (4): Singletary, Moss, Yeldon, Jones

FB (1): DiMarco

WR (6): Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, Roberts

TE (3): Kroft, Knox, Sweeney

T (4): Dawkins, Williams, Nsekhe, Ford

G (3): Spain, Feliciano, Boehm

C (2): Morse, Long

DT (5): Oliver, Butler, Jefferson, Lotulelei, Phillips

DE (5): Hughes, Epenesa, Addison, Murphy, D. Johnson

LB (6): Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Thompson, Matakevich, Joseph

S (4): Hyde, Poyer, Neal, J. Johnson

CB (5): White, Wallace, T. Johnson, Norman, Gaines

My analysis: I had to cut too much talent! I couldn't even fit the last 4 draft picks (Fromm, Bass, Hodgins, Jackson) on the final 53, and it's probably not safe to store any of them on the practice squad. Wade and Foster also have too much natural talent to leave off the roster.

My conclusion: Goodell needs to cancel the 2020 NFL season immediately, but it has nothing to do with the coronavirus. The Buffalo Bills have already won the 55th Super Bowl with their roster additions. Brandon Beane is a GM magician who has mastered the dark arts of pro football roster assembly.

I think Fromm might make 53 - in which case you lose murphy or johnson.  Hodgins is a practice squad candidate imo - maybe someone carries him on a 53? But he might hit injured reserve in camp from a hang nail belichick style. 

Along the Oline i think bates has a legit chance to make it over long.  I think smith sticks over sweeney who goes to PS.  Bass over Hauschka.  Leg and honestly, hauschka had a stretch there where he wasn't very good.  

I think Dodson has a chance to play his way on the roster especially with the addition of Matakevich and Klein.  

Neal is kind of a cb/safety so i see gaines in a struggle to make the team.  He had some good moments here, but the injury history is hard to ignore. He's more an insurance policy if norman doesn't look good, or if him or wallace were to get hurt in camp.  Marlowe as a big nickel makes some sense there instead. 

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can someone explain exactly how guys 54 & 55 work? Are they protected? 

They're on the practice squad, you can activate them for gamedays.  So if you have only say 6 olinemen ready to be active in a game,  you could activate 2 practice squad guys for the game and now have 8 on your '55' man roster.  They are not protected as it differs week to week.

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So your core roster is still 53? But say you have a week where you have 2 tackles nicked up.... you can call a tackle off your practice squad up and make him active on gameday. He automatically then returns to the PS the day after the game unless you cut someone and put that tackle on the active roster. You can do that twice per PS player. But once you call him up a 3rd time to be your 54th man as such, then he doesn't automatically return to the PS he is treated as if he is cut the day after (unless you add to active roster and cut someone else).

Have I got that right?

Sounds good to me.  They can still go back to your practice squad again, but then i believe they have to clear, so someone else can sign him to a practice squad as well?  I think?  Wasn't very clear.

Here's my go. I'm sure I'll catch heat for a couple of these.

QB (2): Josh Allen, Jake Fromm

RB (4): Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, TJ Yeldon, Taiwan Jones 

FB (1): Patrick DiMarco 

WR (6): Stefon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isaiah Hodgins, Gabriel Davis, Andre Roberts 

TE (3): Dawson Knox, Tyler Kroft, Lee Smith 

OT (4): Dion Dawkins, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Ford, Darryl Williams 

IOL (5): Quinton Spain, Jon Feliciano, Mitch Morse, Ryan Bates, Ike Boettger 

Offense: 25

DT (5): Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler, Harrison Phillips 

DE (4): Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, AJ Epenesa, Trent Murphy 

OLB (4): Matt Milano, AJ Klein, Vosean Joseph, Corey Thompson 

ILB (2): Tremaine Edmunds, Tyler Matakevich 

S (5): Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Siran Neal, Dean Marlowe, Jaquan Johnson 

CB (5): Tre'Davious White, Levi Wallace, Taron Johnson, Josh Norman, EJ Gaines 

Defense: 25

LS: Reid Ferguson 

K: Tyler Bass

P: Corey Bojorquez 

Special Teams: 3

Practice Squad: Davis Webb (QB), Christian Wade (RB), Ray-Ray McCloud (WR), Tommy Sweeney (TE), Trey Adams (OT), Marquel Harrell (OL), Darryl Johnson (DE), Tyrel Dodson (OLB), Josh Thomas (DB), Dane Jackson (CB), Ike Brown (CB)

Notable Cuts: Matt Barkley, Robert Foster, Duke Williams, Spencer Long, Cam Lewis, Stephen Hauschka 

It is possible that they trim one RB to keep Barkley. I think it's equally likely that we sign Chris Thompson and cut Yeldon. There's a chance that we think Diggs or Brown can handle the end around and gadget plays, which is why I'd cut McKenzie and have both rookies on the 53. Also, we are going to see some cap casualties, so this is likely the worst 53 we would see.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

My stab at it:

QB (3): Allen, Barkley, Fromm

FB (1): DiMarco

WR (7): Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, Duke, Roberts

TE (3): Knox, Kroft, Sweeney

OT (4): Dawkins, Ford, Nsheke, Williams

IOL (4): Morse, Spain, Feliciano, Long

Offense: 26

DT (5): Oliver, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Butler, Phillips

DE (4): Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Murphy

OLB (4): Milano, Klein, Joseph, Thompson

ILB (2): Edmunds, Matakevich

S (3): Hyde, Poyer, Johnson

CB (6): White, Wallace, Norman, Neal, Jonson, Jackson

Defense: 24

K (1): Bass

P (1): Turk

LS (1): Ferguson

Special Teams: 3

Note: Yeldon, Jackson, Barkley, Murphy and Duke are the last 5.

PS: Vedvik, Wade, Adams, Gilliam, Hodgins, Johnson, Dodson, Brown, McGhin, the last few spots are for guys not currently here (including a safety, & DT).

Takeaways:

- The versatility on the OL and DL may allow for them to only keep 8 in either place. They have a bunch of guys that can play inside and outside.

- They are going to cut players on both lines that can play in the NFL. I would guess that they try to trade a few of those guys like they did Teller and Bodine. The same is true at WR. The Bills could try to flip Foster/Duke. 
- Wade may get one of the 54-55 spots early and if he shows anything Yeldon goes instead.

- Added a punter not currently on the roster. I do not believe that Bojorquez is on the team. He’s too inconsistent on a team that wants to play close games. 

In general this is a deep and well-balanced roster. It is as versatile and complete as any roster in the league. We need a couple more stars to develop and I’m looking at Josh, Singletary, Oliver and Knox to be amongst them. If those guys elevate there games to a pro bowl level the Bills can win the Super Bowl. I don’t think that it is a stretch for them to get there.

@Kirby Jackson so our differences are 

You have Barkley. Fair enough. Certainly plausible. My biggest struggle was eliminating the vet from the QB room.

WR: you've got McKenzie and Duke, I've got Hodgins. I think Hodgins represents an upgrade over Duke. He has very similar strengths and weaknesses, but I think he has better hands. I found McKenzie expendable because Diggs and Brown can fill the gadget role, and more deceptively because they're usually on the field. 

IOL: you've got Long, I've got Boettger and Bates. When Morse went down it was Feliciano who filled in best. Maybe Long is better than Boettger at G. I think they want Bates as that final fallback across the entire OL.

S: you cut Marlowe to make room for the extra player on O. I guess that's possible, especially if Norman can fill in as Safety depth.

CB: you've got Jackson over EJ Gaines and Cam Lewis. That high on Jackson? Gaines is an injury risk, but I think he pushed Jackson to the PS until the injury hits.

All in all, I can see cutting one of the OL to retain Barkley more than one of the D. Maybe Boettger. WR will be fun to watch develop. You may be closer to correct with the vets due to the offseason question marks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That is what I originally thought. But looking closely, I am not sure that the Bills really valued him that high. The dead cap is just 250K. so Bills can easily walk away paying him nothing. if he was so valuable, don’t you think he’d have commanded a higher guarantee? That is what I tried to explain in my original post .. but I was too cryptic.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/

Or he told Beane “I just want an opportunity to get back to RT and prove myself with a winning team”. In order to do that he took minimum.

My Stab @RealKayAdams, kept the rookies and had to make some hard cuts

QB (2): Allen, Fromm

FB (1): Dimarco

WR (7): Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Mckenzie, Roberts 

TE (3): Kroft, Knox, Sweeney

OT (4): Dawkins, Ford, Nsheke, Williams

IOL (5): Morse, Spain, Feliciano, Long, Bates

DT (5): Oliver, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Butler, Phillips

DE (4): Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson

OLB (3): Milano, Klein, Joseph 

ILB (2): Edmunds, Matakevich

S (4): Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Marlowe

CB (6): White, Wallace, Norman, Neal, Johnson, Jackson

K (1): Bass

P (1): Vedvik

LS (1): Ferguson

Notable cuts/trades: Barkley, Lee Smith, Murphy, Gaines, Duke Williams, Robert Foster, Corey Thompson, Boehm, Boettger

Edited by YattaOkasan

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! To clarify, the NFL roster numbers for the 2020 season are 48 active, 53 total, and 12 practice squad, with any 2 from the practice squad eligible as part of the active 48 on gameday. I made two minor changes to my OP: Fromm in place of Yeldon and Hodgins in place of McKenzie. Full comments below:

K (1): Hauschka...coronavirus may drastically shorten training camp and preseason, so it's generally safer to stick with the vet initially and store Bass on the PS as one of the potential 2 gameday call-ups. Is Bass safe on the PS? I think so. Not sure. We'll know more by August.

P (1): Bojorquez...same plan as above. Send Vedvik to the PS and plan to start the season with the guy more familiar with the winds at RWS.

LS (1): Ferguson...no change.

QB (3)Allen, Barkley, Fromm...gotta keep the vet who's been in Daboll's system for 2 years. Fromm isn't safe on the PS.

RB (3): Singletary, Moss, Jones...I'm cutting Yeldon because I believe both Singletary and Moss are fully capable of splitting his third-down duties as a receiving outlet and as a pass blocker. Wade will be a great injury call-up from the PS and might even be able to steal Taiwan's job in preseason?

FB (1): DiMarco...Gilliam to bide his time on the PS.

WR (6): Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts...the toughest position group for me to predict. I agree that Hodgins can't be stored on the PS. Davis and Hodgins are likely upgrades over Duke Williams. Davis can also take Foster's gunner spot. Foster hasn't developed enough as a WR. I think McKenzie's gadget plays can go to Tawian Jones instead? Ray-Ray go bye-bye. What a difference from 2018's group!

TE (3): Kroft, Knox, Sweeney...while all 3 need to work on their blocking technique, Lee Smith is too limited on the field to stick around. Also, Smith just committed 2 more penalties as I typed this sentence.

T (4): Dawkins, Williams, Nsekhe, Ford...Adams is ideal PS material.

G (3): Spain, Feliciano, Boehm...Bates is still eligible for PS, right?

C (2): Morse, Long...my theme for the OL is to stick with the vets. It is critical that Allen remains healthy and happy in his third year of development.

DT (5): Oliver, Butler, Jefferson, Lotulelei, Phillips...I think y'all are going to be pleasantly surprised with Butler. I think he wins the 1-tech starting job.

DE (5): Hughes, Epenesa, Addison, Murphy, D. Johnson...a bit surprised by all the Murphy hate. He's an excellent backup. The salary cap savings should be irrelevant this year. Johnson has too much potential not to be stored on the roster as one of the 5 inactives to start the season.

LB (6): Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Thompson, Matakevich, Joseph...huge dropoff from Edmunds if he gets injured. Can Klein and Matakevich handle emergency inside duties??

S (4): Hyde, Poyer, Neal, J. Johnson...Neal and Johnson are very underrated backups.

CB (5): White, Wallace, T. Johnson, Norman, Gaines...store Jackson on the PS until Gaines inevitably injures himself.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, Brennan Huff said:

I’m new here but I’m pretty sure that’s not the real Kay Adams...

A bit rude, no? My user name is “RealKayAdams,” not “FakeKayAdams.” Q.E.D. I would never question whether or not you are the real Will Ferrell character from the Step Brothers movie.

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Trey Adams (any relation?)

Probably not even as a distant relative. Trey is officially listed as 6’8” 330 lb. I officially list myself as 5’5” 115 lb before all the quarantine delivery food.

Edited by RealKayAdams

4 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! To clarify, the NFL roster numbers for the 2020 season are 48 active, 53 total, and 12 practice squad, with any 2 from the practice squad eligible as part of the active 48 on gameday. I made two minor changes to my OP: Fromm in place of Yeldon and Hodgins in place of McKenzie. Full comments below:

K (1): Hauschka...coronavirus may drastically shorten training camp and preseason, so it's generally safer to stick with the vet initially and store Bass on the PS as one of the potential 2 gameday call-ups. Is Bass safe on the PS? I think so. Not sure. We'll know more by August.

P (1): Bojorquez...same plan as above. Send Vedvik to the PS and plan to start the season with the guy more familiar with the winds at RWS.

LS (1): Ferguson...no change.

QB (3)Allen, Barkley, Fromm...gotta keep the vet who's been in Daboll's system for 2 years. Fromm isn't safe on the PS.

RB (3): Singletary, Moss, Jones...I'm cutting Yeldon because I believe both Singletary and Moss are fully capable of splitting his third-down duties as a receiving outlet and as a pass blocker. Wade will be a great injury call-up from the PS and might even be able to steal Taiwan's job in preseason?

FB (1): DiMarco...Gilliam to bide his time on the PS.

WR (6): Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts...the toughest position group for me to predict. I agree that Hodgins can't be stored on the PS. Davis and Hodgins are likely upgrades over Duke Williams. Davis can also take Foster's gunner spot. Foster hasn't developed enough as a WR. I think McKenzie's gadget plays can go to Tawian Jones instead? Ray-Ray go bye-bye. What a difference from 2018's group!

TE (3): Kroft, Knox, Sweeney...while all 3 need to work on their blocking technique, Lee Smith is too limited on the field to stick around. Also, Smith just committed 2 more penalties as I typed this sentence.

T (4): Dawkins, Williams, Nsekhe, Ford...Adams is ideal PS material.

G (3): Spain, Feliciano, Boehm...Bates is still eligible for PS, right?

C (2): Morse, Long...my theme for the OL is to stick with the vets. It is critical that Allen remains healthy and happy in his third year of development.

DT (5): Oliver, Butler, Jefferson, Lotulelei, Phillips...I think y'all are going to be pleasantly surprised with Butler. I think he wins the 1-tech starting job.

DE (5): Hughes, Epenesa, Addison, Murphy, D. Johnson...a bit surprised by all the Murphy hate. He's an excellent backup. The salary cap savings should be irrelevant this year. Johnson has too much potential not to be stored on the roster as one of the 5 inactives to start the season.

LB (6): Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Thompson, Matakevich, Joseph...huge dropoff from Edmunds if he gets injured. Can Klein and Matakevich handle emergency inside duties??

S (4): Hyde, Poyer, Neal, J. Johnson...Neal and Johnson are very underrated backups.

CB (5): White, Wallace, T. Johnson, Norman, Gaines...store Jackson on the PS until Gaines inevitably injures himself.

A bit rude, no? My user name is “RealKayAdams,” not “FakeKayAdams.” Q.E.D. I would never question whether or not you are the real Will Ferrell character from the Step Brothers movie.

Probably not even as a distant relative. Trey is officially listed as 6’8” 330 lb. I officially list myself as 5’5” 115 lb before all the quarantine delivery food.

I think it will depend on preseason, but I'd go younger at punter/kicker.  Both of them are currently in the bottom tier at the position.  

Based on Barkleys production - he's gone imo.  It depends on what Dorsey thinks of Fromm, and whether allen believes Barkley's brain is too important.  

I'd cut dimarco since i don't think hes very good at any aspects of football, but they like him as a leader.  I like what I've read about Gilliam though - and 4 blocked kicks is pretty impressive.

I don't know that Hodgins can't stick on the PS - i just know that if hes on the 53, hes just sitting there probably not even dressing on game days.  He was the 29th guy selected out of 34 WRs in the draft - while he had value where he was selected, there are concerns about his ability to separate at this level.  I'm ok with the 3 running backs but i'll probably put the UDFA Antonio Williams on the PS just in case.  

Same with TE - i might keep smith and put sweeney on the PS.  

Probably good from a long term standpoint, but cutting into offensive flexibility by removing someone like McKenzie just to think about 2021 and beyond?  Johnson I'd probably put on the PS too.  

With 2 extra spots, id keep the gadget guy in mckenzie and marlowe.