Rank the AFC Teams as of Now

On 4/26/2020 at 3:45 AM, Doc Brown said:

I'm more of a tier guy.  I think the Browns are going to be better than people think.

Tier 1 - Chiefs, Ravens

Tier 2 - Bills, Colts, Steelers, Browns, Titans

Tier 3 - Texans, Broncos, Patriots, Raiders, Jets, Chargers

Tier 4 - Dolphins, Bengals, Jaguars

I'd bump the Browns down to Tier 3, and bump Miami up to 3 based on their FA moves. Otherwise, rock solid. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's funny most there clearly view Darnold as the best QB in the AFC East while shitting on Allen and it's virtually the same thing but opposite here.

I think objectively it is pretty close. Allen has been blessed to be on the better run organization.

Darnold and Allen are pretty identical in their development right now. Allen has the slight edge bc of playoff experience and comeback wins but Darnold for now is def the better passer. 

Unless we totally improve our offense this won't be a top 3 team in the conference. 

idc how good our defense is, as we saw last season with the cheifs the NFL is all about offense now. how many points can you put up per game? we had a mediocre point total for a 10-6 team last season 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Pats fans have already talked themselves off the ledge from Brady leaving, and many are actually convinced that this is exactly like 2001 and that Stidham will follow the same trajectory in the years ahead.  Most are back to predicting 12-4 and owning the division again next year.

The coming years are going to be delightful.  

Oh you want to always see them win enough to just stay outside the top 10 so they can live in perpetual purgatory  

1 hour ago, Dave Allen said:

I'd bump the Browns down to Tier 3, and bump Miami up to 3 based on their FA moves. Otherwise, rock solid. 

The Browns are really solid on offense though. 

Conklin and Wills added at OT, Beckham and Landry at WR, Hooper and Njoku at Tight End and Chubb/Hunt in the backfield.

And we’re really so sure that Josh Allen has left Baker Mayfield in the dust? Because I’m not just yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:27 AM, GunnerBill said:

Controversial but:

1. Ravens - top to bottom the best roster in the NFL and a top 3 coach. Lamar can take a small step back and still have this team win 12 games. If Lamar is as good again they are potentially frightening. 

2. Chiefs - the best Quarterback in the NFL, and a host of weapons for him. The one weakness is their lines are not as strong as they could be. 

3. Bills - very solid roster, very well coached and with three players (including the Quarterback) who could be poised to really breakout. 

4. Steelers - their defense was legit last year and now they get Big Ben back. Well coached, good in the trenches. Slight question about weapons. 

5. Broncos - Vic Fangio can coach defense. And their offensive weaponary is frightening. If Drew Lock is even "decent" in his first year starting then Denver is going to win a lot of football games. 

6. Browns - their coaching has been upgraded and their roster was already talented. An upgraded offensive line should allow their offense to flourish. 

7. Titans - made the AFCCG last year but had some major losses in free agency and trades and reliant on Tannehill repeating a career year. Him regressing to the mean is more likely. 

8. Colts - lots are higher than me on them but Rivers looked totally done to me last season. Like their draft have a solid team. Question mark at Quarterback.

9. Patriots - they have one of the best secondaries in the NFL, their offensive line is strong and they have the GOAT in the headset. Quarterback and skill position players a major question. 

10. Texans - their roster looks like the roster of a team without a GM. It is a mess. But the one area they have got better in the last 12 months is offensive line and while they keep Watson upright they stay competitive. 

11. Dolphins - would expect their offensive line to be better, they have weapons and they improved their defense. Probably a year early for them to really compete a lot of it comes down to Tua. 

12. Raiders - looked like an ascending team the first half of 2019 but Carr remains inconsistent and I haven't loved their offseason approach. 

13. Jets -  they have some talent but coaching is an issue and three of their first four draft picks are big, raw, talents who will need time to develop.

14. Bengals - in an easier division the Bengals could make progress quickly. They had a great draft and still have some pieces in Green, Boyd and Mixon. Defense and oline remain suspect.

15. Chargers - two good receivers, two good pass rushers, two good corners and a swiss army knife back. Holes around that though and who plays Quarterback?

16. Jaguars - are they trying to reset this year or tank for Trevor? Haven't replaced like for like with the talent they lost. 

Lindsay, Gordon, Fant, Sutton, Jeudy... John Elway loves Drew Lock... my lord 

any given Sunday. Nobody really knows what to expect this year, if there is a season. The players will lose a lot of time, reps. A lot of injuries could happen. Outside of the Chiefs and Ravens, I think any number of teams can sneak into the playoffs. Many will surprise, many will fall.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

The Patriots could have nearly anyone at QB and I wouldn’t put them top 5. A beat up Cam Newton doesn’t do it for me. The Patriots are going to be bad this year, best coach ever be dammed. 

let's not forget they were 13-6 with Matt Cassell, Jimmy G, and Jacoby Brissett.

I would love nothing more than to see them go 0-16, but I suspect rumors to their demise are greatly exagerrated.

Cheating helps and their case it helps a lot. Nothing has changed in that regard.

31 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

let's not forget they were 13-6 with Matt Cassell, Jimmy G, and Jacoby Brissett.

I would love nothing more than to see them go 0-16, but I suspect rumors to their demise are greatly exagerrated.

Cheating helps and their case it helps a lot. Nothing has changed in that regard.

They had Moss, Gronk, etc... The Patriots were 16-0 the year before Cassel played. That was a loaded roster. This is not. They are not the same team. We need to stop remembering other players. Only 1 guy from that Cassel team is still on the roster I think (Matthew Slater). The Jets were good with Namath too. That doesn’t mean that they’ll be good now. 

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They had Moss, Gronk, etc... The Patriots were 16-0 the year before Cassel played. That was a loaded roster. This is not. They are not the same team. We need to stop remembering other players. Only 1 guy from that Cassel team is still on the roster I think (Matthew Slater). The Jets were good with Namath too. That doesn’t mean that they’ll be good now. 

we'll see when they play the games.  They will be a formidable opponent for the division title IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

we'll see when they play the games.  They will be a formidable opponent for the division title IMHO.

I just don’t see it. They are bad. They have the 32nd QB situation in the league. They MAY be 32nd in offensive skill players. The OL is pretty good, secondary elite and the front 7 is just okay. How does that team win games? They look like a 6 win team with that schedule. We need to stop looking at the jersey and start looking at the roster.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t see it. They are bad. They have the 32nd QB situation in the league. They MAY be 32nd in offensive skill players. The OL is pretty good, secondary elite and the front 7 is just okay. How does that team win games? They look like a 6 win team with that schedule. We need to stop looking at the jersey and start looking at the roster.

18/39 for 150 and a pick type QB situation?

This is my talent pyramid as of today:

Chiefs

Ravens Titans

Bills Patriots Steelers

Broncos Dolphins Jets Colts 

Bengals Jaguars Chargers Browns Raiders Texans

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:38 AM, Golden Goat said:

1. Chiefs
2. Ravens 
3. Broncos {will be better than most think}
4. Patriots {until proven otherwise; just keeping it real}
5. Bills
6a. Titans 
6b. Texans
8. Colts 
9. Raiders
10. Chargers

Pass the joint bro!

• Haha (+1) 1

The team that I think takes a big step back this year is the Ravens. 

Their division is much improved (Burrow, Stefanski, Big Ben) and I think you can argue Baltimore is the third most talented team on paper.

1) KC-Champs and Loaded

2) TEN-Remind me of 2009/2010 Jets (built for short term success)

3) IND-Best oline in football + Rivers + Buckner on defense which will fix bad run D 

4) CLE-Loaded roster + coach who knows what he’s doing 

5) PIT-Best defense in AFC + Big Ben fixes offense 

6) BAL-Won’t catch teams off guard this year 

7) BUF-Loaded roster could jump to 2 if Allen improves 

8 )HOU-Major questions on defense. Watson keeps them competitive 

9) NE-Still coached by BB and own the best secondary in AFC and best oline in AFC E 

10) LAC-Could be this years Tennessee Titans-sneaky good roster. What do they get out of TT/Herbert?

11) OAK-Offense is stacked, but Carr is mediocre. Issues on defense 

12) DEN-Still a year away 

13) NYJ-Still a year away

14) MIA-Still a year away

15) CIN-Still a year away

16) JAX-End of the line for Dougie

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with all this but I just still can't believe they go with Stidham and Hoyer. If they do... I agree they are 6-10, maybe even worse given the schedule. But they won't I still say they won't. Andy Dalton there just makes too much sense for all concerned.

13 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I love josh but I trying to figure out the logic that goes into the common opinion that Allen is absolutely going to improve but Jackson is suddenly going to take a step backwards 

I have been saying this about Allen vs Jackson since early last season when Jackson caught fire.  Both Allen and Jackson improved significantly from how they played as rookies but Jackson improved far more, especially in the passing game, not just versus his own rookie season but versus the norm for NFL QBs.   QBs that make the kind of improvement that Jackson made between their rookie and sophomore years don't suddenly collapse but rather continue to be top tier QBs. 

IMO, Jackson is the first 2018 first round QB who's solidly moved into the top tier of NFL QBs.  The only QB from the group who's a bonafide bust at this time is Rosen.  Whether he would have done better if he'd been drafted by a team other than the Cards doesn't matter at this point as he also failed in Miami.  Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen are still at the point where they could go either way.  Mayfield was disappointing last season but that may very well have been a coaching issue as with the entire team.  As others have said, Darnold and Allen are about at the same level in their development.  I think that Allen is in a better situation than Darnold  -- because he now has better talent and better coaching -- however, so I have to see him step up to become a top tier NFL QB this season.

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Pats still have Belichick, however, and as far as the Bills are concerned, he's had their number since his days as the Giants DC.  The Bills' first SB loss -- Wide Right -- was orchestrated by Belichick when the much less talented Giants stymied the mighty Bills in a defensive battle.  The last two decades have just been one horror story after another with Belichick in Foxborough.  The Jets and the Fins have had significantly more success against Belichick than any of the Bills regimes have had, including the current one.   I'm not trumpeting the death of the Pats under Belichick as a force in the AFCE until I actually see their corpse.

Edited by SoTier

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The Pats still have Belichick, however, and as far as the Bills are concerned, he's had their number since his days as the Giants DC.  The Bills' first SB loss -- Wide Right -- was orchestrated by Belichick when the much less talented Giants stymied the mighty Bills in a defensive battle.  The last two decades have just been one horror story after another with Belichick in Foxborough.  The Jets and the Fins have had significantly more success against Belichick than any of the Bills regimes have had, including the current one.   I'm not trumpeting the death of the Pats under Belichick as a force in the AFCE until I actually see their corpse.

That’s kind of the point. We’ve been so traumatized we are unable to objectively view them. It’s like we’ve been in an abusive relationship and too paralyzed to see it. BB is the greatest ever but he can’t go out there and score points for them. This is a bad roster. They may win 6 games BECAUSE of his greatness. If Rex was coaching that talent they’d have a shot at the 1st pick. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of the point. We’ve been so traumatized we’ve are unable to objectively view them. It’s like we’ve been in an abusive relationship and too paralyzed to see it. BB is the greatest ever but he can’t go out there and score points for them. This is a bad roster. They may win 6 games BECAUSE of his greatness. If Rex was coaching that talent they’d have a shot at the 1st pick. 

That's the clinical definition of BBFS.