Rank the AFC Teams as of Now

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think they will have more losses. Ol Ben will be back with that defense, and the browns got a lot better too. it’s tough for me to see LJ having another mvp year with all that slug fest going on in that division

Likely having more losses than last year's 2 doesn't lessen the Ravens' dominance in the AFC.  The NFL is simply too competitive for any team to repeatedly lose only 2 games a season.   The Ravens and Chiefs are the class of the AFC by a significant margin.  They retained most of their outstanding talent from 2019 and have two of the best coaching staffs in the entire NFL.  Barring catastrophic injuries, those two teams are making the playing offs. 

The Bills are in the second tier -- teams likely to make the playoffs -- along with the Patriots, Steelers, Browns, Titans, Colts and Texans.  I'm not writing off the Pats at this point because there are still veteran QBs like Cam Newton -- and possibly Andy Dalton -- to be had and Belichick is easily the GOAT of NFL HCs.

I think the Bronocs, Chargers, Raiders, and Dolphins are the third tier -- teams that could conceivably make the playoffs if things go right and one or more of the better teams falter for some reason.

The Bengals, Jets, and Jaguars are the bottom feeders.   The Jets probably have the talent to be in the third tier, especially if Darnold comes into his own, but I think that their coaching is suspect.

1 hour ago, eball said:

The only thing keeping the Bills from being ranked in the top tier with the Ravens and Chiefs is any remaining skepticism about Josh Allen's development.  That's it.  Otherwise, from top to bottom the roster matches up with anyone in the league.  If you're a Josh Allen believer you put the Bills right there with them; if you think he'll stay what he was last season then they are still a top 6 team in the conference.

Even if Josh Allen has a MVP worthy season in 2020, the Bills as a team aren't good enough to be included with the Chiefs and Ravens.  Especially on offense, the Bills simply don't have the depth of talent that the top two teams have.   They also don't have a coaching staff good enough to match wits with Reid and Harbaugh and their assistants.  That doesn't mean that they can't take the AFCE and make a real playoff run,  but I think they have a ways to go to run with the big dogs in the AFC even if Allen develops into a real stud QB in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Miami is in for such a crappy ride. I'm guessing they go through at least 3 HC's before they can get the talent level back to a competitive level.

I'm on the opposite end of that thought process. I think Miami has had a good offseason via FA and the draft. I like their coach, Flores. I like a Chan Gailey offense in place with the pieces they have. I honestly think we are heading back towards how it was in the late 80's through mid 90's of battling it out with the Phins for the AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Even if Josh Allen has a MVP worthy season in 2020, the Bills as a team aren't good enough to be included with the Chiefs and Ravens.  Especially on offense, the Bills simply don't have the depth of talent that the top two teams have.   They also don't have a coaching staff good enough to match wits with Reid and Harbaugh and their assistants.  That doesn't mean that they can't take the AFCE and make a real playoff run,  but I think they have a ways to go to run with the big dogs in the AFC even if Allen develops into a real stud QB in 2020.

Strongly disagree.  The defense matches up with anyone and they now have multiple weapons on offense.  You criticize the coaching staff but the rest of the league doesn't; it is definitely top 10 in the league and likely higher.

If you and others want to continue to critique the Bills that's fine, but they are now one of the "big dogs" in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You have the colts wayyy to low. They will be competing for the #2 seed, they are loaded and we'll coached. 

Ravens will take a big step back imo. A lot of QBs regress in year three, I expect that to be the case for Lamar. Still not sold on him as a QB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Strongly disagree.  The defense matches up with anyone and they now have multiple weapons on offense.  You criticize the coaching staff but the rest of the league doesn't; it is definitely top 10 in the league and likely higher.

If you and others want to continue to critique the Bills that's fine, but they are now one of the "big dogs" in the NFL.

I disagree. Questions about Allen and the coaching staff are reasonable. 

what is their record against teams that end up making the playoffs? I’m not sure exactly but It’s very bad and the same issues keep arising despite keeping most of those games close. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chemical said:

I disagree. Questions about Allen and the coaching staff are reasonable. 

what is their record against teams that end up making the playoffs? I’m not sure exactly but It’s very bad and the same issues keep arising despite keeping most of those games close. 

If Allen plays exactly as he did last year that's a middle of the road NFL starting QB.  Why would anyone think he will stay the same or regress, knowing the work he puts in?

Questioning the coaching staff?  Really?  I mean, go ahead and say McD needs to continue to improve on game day but aside from that what is there to question?  Are you on the Daboll hate train too?  Let's wait and see what they do with the weapons now at their disposal.

This "record against playoff teams" stuff always amuses me.  The primary reason teams don't make the playoffs is because they lose games.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not saying McDermott and company are something nasty you don't want to step in.  I'm saying they aren't as good as Reid and Harbaugh and their staffs, who are among the very best in the entire NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

This is not to say the Ravens won’t be good, I do think they will be very good, but I think that offense will regress by a good margin. The thing that will carry them is their defense. The Bills put out the blueprint to beat them, the Titans followed that blueprint. As great a seasonal Lamar had, he still hasn’t shown he can get the ball to his wide receivers. 

if Josh makes the jump we are hoping he makes, the Bills are just as good if not better than the Ravens 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

If Allen plays exactly as he did last year that's a middle of the road NFL starting QB.  Why would anyone think he will stay the same or regress, knowing the work he puts in?

Questioning the coaching staff?  Really?  I mean, go ahead and say McD needs to continue to improve on game day but aside from that what is there to question?  Are you on the Daboll hate train too?  Let's wait and see what they do with the weapons now at their disposal.

This "record against playoff teams" stuff always amuses me.  The primary reason teams don't make the playoffs is because they lose games.

1) there’s no guarantee he will improve. I personally think he will, but plenty of QBs have regressed or plateaued at age 24 for various reasons. His stats should at least improve with Diggs. 

2) the game day stuff is THE gripe. It was all last season. Even dating back to the Colts overtime win in the snow. McDermott just wants the game to be over the second we get a lead even if it’s the first half.

Some posters called it out all last season even in wins, saying that kind of thinking will cost is games in the future. Those people were told to shut up and enjoy the wins, but what happened in the playoffs? You can blame the refs or take a critical look at your team. 

3) I’d be legitimately interested to compare the Bills’ record against playoff teams with other top teams to see if there’s a statistically significant difference. 

edit: having said all that I put the bills behind KC, BAL, IND, HOU, TEN

Edited by Chemical
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

1. Chiefs (the champs)

2. Ravens 

3. Bills 

4. Steelers 

5. Broncos 

6. Titans

7. Texans

I basically agree with this ranking, but unlike a bunch of other folks I think the Bills are closer to the Ravens than they are to the Steelers/Broncos.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm on the opposite end of that thought process. I think Miami has had a good offseason via FA and the draft. I like their coach, Flores. I like a Chan Gailey offense in place with the pieces they have. I honestly think we are heading back towards how it was in the late 80's through mid 90's of battling it out with the Phins for the AFC East. 

The Patriots are not going to just fade away without Brady. I see the Jets and NE as the teams that we will be fighting with for the division. It is very hard to draft top 10 talent and Miami got rid of a ton of very good players. I don't know how you can say Flores will be a good coach, he was basically a scout for the Patriots. He was never given the title of DC when Matt P left, I know Belicheat was calling that defense. Flores is a complete question mark, it appears that he has very little to zero play calling experience. If the Bills signed a HC with that resume I would be pissed off. I will make judgment on Flores after his first year of coaching but I don't see this lasting more than 3 years tops. The Bills, Jets and NE have such a talent and coaching advantage, I just don't see Miami having a chance.

3 hours ago, eball said:

The only thing keeping the Bills from being ranked in the top tier with the Ravens and Chiefs is any remaining skepticism about Josh Allen's development.  That's it.  Otherwise, from top to bottom the roster matches up with anyone in the league.  If you're a Josh Allen believer you put the Bills right there with them; if you think he'll stay what he was last season then they are still a top 6 team in the conference.

The defense was still weak without a pass rush.  They had an average run game.  They have fixed both in the draft.

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only team I won’t feel great about playing is the Chiefs. 
I’m not saying the Bills beat everyone else, but there is literally not a team from the AFC or NFC that the Bills can’t beat. The Bills roster is as well put together as any other in the NFL.  Baltimore is not better than the Bills.  I think Lamar is going to look like he did in his last game of the year a lot in 2020. 

Also the Pats today have the worst QB room in the league. 

I'm super surprised they didn't at least take ONE QB

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

1. Chiefs (the champs)

2. Ravens 

3. Bills 

4. Steelers 

5. Broncos 

6. Titans

7. Texans

8. Patriots

9. Browns 

10. Colts 

11. Raiders

12. Jets

13. Dolphins 

14. Chargers 

15. Jaguars 

16. Bengals 

I think that's pretty accurate, although I may move a couple teams near the bottom. Bengals probably aren't last. I'd put the Jags there. Top 8 are probably correct.

The Steelers are such a wildcard IMO.  You could see the pride that team had last season.  They won several games they had no business winning without Roethlisberger.  That was just their pride.  Many teams would’ve quit at some point.  But word is that Roethlisberger is not in playing shape and hasn’t been in some time.  They should be good enough to make the expanded playoffs, but I don’t think they are any threat past the first round. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

I was tempted to put the Bills in their own tier right after KC and Baltimore. For me the Bills are right there with them but the schedule this year is really tough. That’s what pushed them into tier 2 for me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I’m with you.

Miami finishes 2nd in the division IMO. New England is not good but everyone is scared to call them bad because they haven’t been bad in forever. They don’t have a QB and don’t have any offensive playmakers. They will win 6 games. The Jets are a total nightmare imo. They are the team that can’t get out of their own way. They will be one of the worst teams in the league. The Dolphins are moving in the right direction and appear to have strong leadership. Additionally their crossover games this year are Bengals and Jags. That’s a huge advantage. I think that Miami wins 7 or 8 games and is a playoff threat in 2021.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1