Grade the draft

Solid B.  Diggs and Moss provide more weapons for Allen and Epenesa adds much needed youth to the DE spot

Diggs - Unlike some that don't include veterans that are traded for picks I will.  Diggs is as good as any first round WR prospect, has a proven track record, and has a reasonable contract.  A+

Epenesa - solid DE that brings youth, size, and strength.  Doubt he gets more than 5 sacks a year but he should not be a liability in the run game and has a year to learn from Addison. B+

Moss - good tough RB that fills a need. B

Davis - decent size and has a chance to develop.  I suspect he will be a healthy scratch most of the year as he won't play much STs and is not the gadget type 4th WR that Daboll likes.  Replaces Duke. B-

Fromm - I wanted another QB but would rather have had Eason.  I think his upside may be a little more than Barkley but his downside might be as bad as Peterman.  He has a JV arm but has played against great competition for years.   He will easily make the team and they will carry 3 QBs this year.  B grade getting him in the 5th. 

Bass - camp competition and good use of a late round pick when they had little other roster spots open. B

Hodgins - slow off the LOS with little separation.  Great hands and height but not athletic.  Unlikely he makes the roster unless the keep 7 WR.  If he has a decent camp, maybe a PS guy

Jackson - little to no chance to make the roster.  Pick would have been better used on a P or an OT or used earlier in the day to move up a few spots.  Good chance he makes the expanded PS. D

I have a bit of an issue with Fromm (and Barkley).

If (when?) Josh goes down, hopefully for a short time, is our offense going to have to completely change with the different skill sets that both Fromm and Barkley have?

Would prefer to have a backup QB that is more similar to Allen.

B+. Really an A when you consider Diggs. Loved it. Wanted offense and was a little skeptical after the Epenesa pick but the Epenesa/Moss combo is more than satisfying. I'm now addicted to Zack Moss videos. And then Beane kept going offense. A+ for the big receivers, this Hodgins kid looks like an absolute steal.

Not a huge fan of the Fromm or Dane Jackson picks. Only minor gripe at this point is that I would have liked to see some LB or OL depth, but overall, great draft with hopefully 3 picks (not counting Diggs) that can contribute immediately.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Liked the picks... filling needs with highly regarded prospects.  I liked the Fromm pick for the reason in that IMO, Josh Allen has 2 years to prove himself as the franchise QB (I pray to the power above that he does).  If he fails to do so, Fromm may be an option to be the starter after having 2 years in the  system.

I’m going to say B (and I don’t count Diggs in the draft). I don’t think that the Bills drafted one guy that will ever play in the Pro Bowl with the possible exception of Bass. They drafted a bunch of guys that can and will fill a role. The Bills didn’t have a need though for immediate impact players. They had some spots that needed to get better and they accomplished that. Overall, I’m pleased but not overwhelmed.

• Like (+1) 3

Probably a "B" without including Stephon Diggs into the mix.

Davis and Bass were puzzling picks.  I thought a different receiver, Troy Dye (OLB) or Biadasz (C/G) would have been better overall value in the 4th.

I would have wanted Mann (P) instead of Bass in the 6th.

Epenesa, Moss, Fromm, and Jackson were solid picks.

UDFA's: I believe bringing in a pair of undrated TE's and linebackers and upside G/T would be good for competition and position depth.

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Solid B.  Diggs and Moss provide more weapons for Allen and Epenesa adds much needed youth to the DE spot

Diggs - Unlike some that don't include veterans that are traded for picks I will.  Diggs is as good as any first round WR prospect, has a proven track record, and has a reasonable contract.  A+

Epenesa - solid DE that brings youth, size, and strength.  Doubt he gets more than 5 sacks a year but he should not be a liability in the run game and has a year to learn from Addison. B+

Moss - good tough RB that fills a need. B

Davis - decent size and has a chance to develop.  I suspect he will be a healthy scratch most of the year as he won't play much STs and is not the gadget type 4th WR that Daboll likes.  Replaces Duke. B-

Fromm - I wanted another QB but would rather have had Eason.  I think his upside may be a little more than Barkley but his downside might be as bad as Peterman.  He has a JV arm but has played against great competition for years.   He will easily make the team and they will carry 3 QBs this year.  B grade getting him in the 5th. 

Bass - camp competition and good use of a late round pick when they had little other roster spots open. B

Hodgins - slow off the LOS with little separation.  Great hands and height but not athletic.  Unlikely he makes the roster unless the keep 7 WR.  If he has a decent camp, maybe a PS guy

Jackson - little to no chance to make the roster.  Pick would have been better used on a P or an OT or used earlier in the day to move up a few spots.  Good chance he makes the expanded PS. D

Couldn't disagree with your analysis more. 

Diggs- (A)+ proof in the pudding lets just hope he develops rapport with Josh. 

Epenesa- (A)+ VALUE...Dominate college player, hungry and comes from a blue collar program. If you are thinking this kid is what he is now you're crazy. He will Blossom. 

Moss- (A) total beast, we have the perfect compliment to motor now. He will cause defenses problems and may be the feature back given time. 

Davis-( A)  This kid has god given talent and will put it together and be a force in the NFL with proper coaching. Think of a smaller Mike Evans. 

Fromm- (B) Wasn't a fan at first but I like that our GM will pull the trigger on value even if it isn't a glaring need right now. I live in SEC country and have watched most of his games this guy is someone people want to play with. True football player and I don't buy the arm strength crap. He models his game after Brees. Could end up being the steal of the draft. 

Bass- (B) dude has a leg. Claims he hit a 70 yarder with some wind. Hope he has the mental fortitude. Competition brings out the best. 

Hodgins- (A)Similar measurables to Davis. Taller and a better route runner. Watch baldy breakdowns and you'll love the pick. 

Jackson- (B) waited late to go D again. Can never have enough cover guys. Reminds me of Taron Johnson coming out, willing tackler. Hopefully he is more durable. 

Overall grade is an A for me. I think this is the first draft in my memory where we could be a little loose and take good football players other than reach for need. Only thing I wish we did was find an athletic linebacker who could work into the Lorax roll. 

13 minutes ago, ny33 said:

B. I think OG is still a major need. 

We have more than plenty of depth on our O-line. We can bring in rookies next year if things don't work with the vets we have. Would rather roll with experience than plug newbies in there. Give It a year....one of the few years we've returned all 5 starters. 

26 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

I have a bit of an issue with Fromm (and Barkley).

If (when?) Josh goes down, hopefully for a short time, is our offense going to have to completely change with the different skill sets that both Fromm and Barkley have?

Would prefer to have a backup QB that is more similar to Allen.

good luck finding a josh comparable. 

• Like (+1) 2

Love the Epenesa and Moss picks.  

Don’t know much about the two WR’s, but love that we double dipped in such a loaded WR draft, even after trading for Diggs.  

Intrigued by Fromm’s potential to win back-up QB. 

Not many open roster spots, so I’m completely fine using a pick on, who many think, was the top kicker. 

I give it a B+, only because I probably would’ve attempted to package picks and move up somewhere, BUT I also don’t know much about the two WRs, and one, or both of them, could easily elevate this draft to an A+

• Like (+1) 2