Are the Bills set at TE?

Knox had some key drops but he also made some great plays. I loved the guy as soon as he ran over those Bengals DBs and he made enough plays the rest of the year to make me think he'll show a big step up in his second year. 

When you consider they barely threw him the ball in college, I think he did pretty well and has the potential to be really good.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

To be fair, they signed Kroft, and drafted two guys last year. I can’t say it’s “neglected”, but did they hit? Not sure yet. I still have high hopes for Knox, and we’ll see what the others offer. Too many needs to start over before we know what we have, IMO. 

You can’t do it ALL at once!

Hopefully better WR’s open more space for the TE’s to make plays.  

The way I see it, we haven’t had a really good tight end in my lifetime as a bills fan, 40 years.  That = neglect as an organization. 

last year was the most attention we’ve ever shown the position in my lifetime.....and we currently don’t have one tight end we can count on.  

we hope Knox will be that guy.  We know what the other guys are for the most part.  Barely good enough to make the team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I expect to see a lot of 3WR 1TE sets, and in that sense Buffalo is probably set now with a good prospect in Knox, Kroft, Sweeney and Croom.

If the offense continues to sputter for another year, then it’s time to look for a new OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

How many games did the Bills TE’s have 100+ yards receiving in last year, let alone the past twenty years? 

Even the best TEs in the game average only 70-75 yds per game...

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks! Only three since 1992, that’s sad.

Just now, nikuman said:

Even the best TEs in the game average only 70-75 yds per game...

And how many Bills TE’s over the past 20 years have averaged those numbers compared to the rest of the league?

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Looks like McBeane is happy with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, Smith and Croom. IMO, the TE position has been neglected for years. While I like the other offensive additions this offseason, I felt TE was a glaring hole. Yes, Knox flashed some potential, but he also had a lot of drops. Not saying Knox doesn’t have the ability to improve, but if the Bills are planning on Knox to be the #1 TE, then I think it’s a mistake. It would be nice if the Bills could get with the rest of the NFL and get one to two TE’s that have the potential for multiple 100+ yard games a season. If I’m wrong and Knox and Sweeney turn out to be diamonds in the rough for the Bills, then I will gladly eat some crow on this. 

They signed a FA and drafted two TE's last year.  TE has been the worst position in Bills history with zero ProBowl nominations - ever.  But they added three new players last year and Knox looks like he can be great.  

2 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

And how many Bills TE’s over the past 20 years have averaged those numbers compared to the rest of the league?

I'm just checking AFCE since inception.

Miami has 7.  NYJ have 25 and the Pats* have 63.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

That, how many receptions, how many drops,  touchdowns and blocking ability. Am I missing something? 

Knox is by far the most talented young TE we've had that I can remember. He has the potential to be what you want at TE. Many of the best TEs in history are mid round picks developed into stars. Knox seriously has that potential.

As far as stats go he had a decent rookie year, especially with how little we pass.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Hell, we barely have receivers reach that mark.  Difficult when 95% of your drives go Run-Run-Pass-Punt.

I know it isn't really 95%, but sure feels like it sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

We will see what areas Knox improves in this year. It also will be interesting how much more room he has to work with, now that Diggs is out there

Another effect of the Coronavirus may be that the 2nd year players don’t have the jump in productivity that they normally do, because of reduced off season workouts.

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The way I see it, we haven’t had a really good tight end in my lifetime as a bills fan, 40 years.  That = neglect as an organization. 

last year was the most attention we’ve ever shown the position in my lifetime.....and we currently don’t have one tight end we can count on.  

we hope Knox will be that guy.  We know what the other guys are for the most part.  Barely good enough to make the team

I get that. I think McKeller and Riemersma were pretty good TE’s. Regardless, I try to never go back farther than the present owners. It’s just looking to make myself miserable, and I refuse to go there. The current regime has taken multiple shots at the TE position. I hope some of it works out. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Looks like McBeane is happy with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, Smith and Croom. IMO, the TE position has been neglected for years. While I like the other offensive additions this offseason, I felt TE was a glaring hole. Yes, Knox flashed some potential, but he also had a lot of drops. Not saying Knox doesn’t have the ability to improve, but if the Bills are planning on Knox to be the #1 TE, then I think it’s a mistake. It would be nice if the Bills could get with the rest of the NFL and get one to two TE’s that have the potential for multiple 100+ yard games a season. If I’m wrong and Knox and Sweeney turn out to be diamonds in the rough for the Bills, then I will gladly eat some crow on this. 

They signed 4 TE's last year, I wouldn't call that neglected.

The one thing I do know if no one knows how good Know could be including you.