Are the Bills set at TE?

Looks like McBeane is happy with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, Smith and Croom. IMO, the TE position has been neglected for years. While I like the other offensive additions this offseason, I felt TE was a glaring hole. Yes, Knox flashed some potential, but he also had a lot of drops. Not saying Knox doesn’t have the ability to improve, but if the Bills are planning on Knox to be the #1 TE, then I think it’s a mistake. It would be nice if the Bills could get with the rest of the NFL and get one to two TE’s that have the potential for multiple 100+ yard games a season. If I’m wrong and Knox and Sweeney turn out to be diamonds in the rough for the Bills, then I will gladly eat some crow on this. 

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1

We cant draft an A+ prospect for every position each year.

We tried to add G Olsen sonwe aren't satisfied with the group.

Hopefully Knox takes a big step or we will likely be looking for a draft upgrade next year

• Like (+1) 1

Probably our weakest position, cant be strong everywhere, but I hope they address it in the draft next year.  Kroft is a waste of space and good money that could be used elsewhere.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Looks like McBeane is happy with Knox, Sweeney, Kroft, Smith and Croom. IMO, the TE position has been neglected for years. While I like the other offensive additions this offseason, I felt TE was a glaring hole. Yes, Knox flashed some potential, but he also had a lot of drops. Not saying Knox doesn’t have the ability to improve, but if the Bills are planning on Knox to be the #1 TE, then I think it’s a mistake. It would be nice if the Bills could get with the rest of the NFL and get one to two TE’s that have the potential for multiple 100+ yard games a season. If I’m wrong and Knox and Sweeney turn out to be diamonds in the rough for the Bills, then I will gladly eat some crow on this. 

They added three tight ends last year.  Not sure that counts as neglected.  There were a couple of interesting prospects this year but none I would have rather had than the players they took in rounds 2 and 3 that were available to them at the time.  Any later than that, there was no one who would have been an upgrade to what they have.  

• Like (+1) 2

Are we set?  Unfortunately, it looks like we are.

I hope we can add someone and cut smith and Kroft but it’s unlikely at this point

I’m ok with Knox and Sweeney, but we can use an upgrade imo.  Sweeney looked ok, then he couldn’t get on the field behind two less than stellar TEs in Kroft and Smith. If he can’t get on the field over them this year, I think we should trade him or cut him.  He isn’t that good if he can’t play over them

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Knox or bust....the rest of these guys are scrubs....next year we will target TE in FA or the draft. The Bills historically have never put a huge emphasis on TE's, so I hope Dawson Creek develops?

Agreed. IMO, Allen needs a big TE that can get open down the middle and be a good red zone target.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

The tight end position has been neglected since I’ve been a bills fan, Joe cribbs rookie year.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The tight end position has been neglected since I’ve been a bills fan, Joe cribbs rookie year.

Outside of Metzelaars, I have to agree. Been watching the Bills since the same time period (during the Chuck Knox era).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To be fair, they signed Kroft, and drafted two guys last year. I can’t say it’s “neglected”, but did they hit? Not sure yet. I still have high hopes for Knox, and we’ll see what the others offer. Too many needs to start over before we know what we have, IMO. 

You can’t do it ALL at once!

Hopefully better WR’s open more space for the TE’s to make plays.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

Probably our weakest position, cant be strong everywhere, but I hope they address it in the draft next year.  Kroft is a waste of space and good money that could be used elsewhere.

How? TE IMO is the strongest it's ever been since I've been a Bills fan. Everyone is so focused on the drops but Knox is a legit TE prospect to develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How? TE IMO is the strongest it's ever been since I've been a Bills fan. Everyone is so focused on the drops but Knox is a legit TE prospect to develop. 

How many games did the Bills TE’s have 100+ yards receiving in last year, let alone the past twenty years?