A Few Scattered Thoughts About The Draft.....

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Great stuff, thanks!

It is worth noting that the Bills were NOT looking for a qb at the time, but couldn't resist Fromm when he was still there. This was such an intelligent move by Beane! Also, they were talking about his arm strength and said it won't be a problem, and I agree. Do I expect Josh Allen or Drew Bledsoe circus throws? Of course not. Are they a necessity? No.

John, I never said that I expect Fromm to beat out Josh, and I do not want, nor do I expect any type of QB controversy. I do however expect Fromm to develop into a good quarterback. I also think that he was a GREAT draft pick. Other Bills GMs would have simply reached at a less important position. Instead, we have a good, smart kid who if he DOES develop, at the very least will be worth a high draft pick. There was nothing to lose and quite a bit to gain.

I'm loving it! 

I always understood what you said about Fromm. There is a fanatical faction here who believe that any comment interpreted as a criticism of a Buffalo player, real or imagined, is a treasonous fan who should be hung by their testicles. I like Josh Allen and am happy that he is a Bill. However, I believe that Houston's Watson is a better qb now and will forever be. Many fans here believe that having an opinion contrary to the home crowd's tribal view is an unforgiveable traitorous transgression. It is a silly and childish way to follow sports.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I always understood what you said about Fromm. There is a fanatical faction here who believe that any comment interpreted as a criticism of a Buffalo player, real or imagined, is a treasonous fan who should be hung by their testicles. I like Josh Allen and am happy that he is a Bill. However, I believe that Houston's Watson is a better qb now and will forever be. Many fans here believe that having an opinion contrary to the home crowd's tribal view is an unforgiveable traitorous transgression. It is a silly and childish way to follow sports.   

Yeah, I had a couple of accusations and ironically, I posted how happy I was with the Allen pick the day after he was drafted and have not uttered one bad word about him since.

And you are 100% correct. When an astute poster like BADOL is chastised and scorned by other posters for not marching lockstep with the party line, the board loses something and is worse off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bill -glad to read your excitement.  I would have to think you would be in agreement with me on the unusual joy that New England has helped us achieve.  NE unable to come to grips with TB now has the Bills as frontrunners for the AFCE.  And to add to that NE took Duggar, and there are strong rumors that the Bills would have taken him over Epenesa.  I value Epenesa over Duggar and am pleased things broke the way they did in that regard.

The slight differences I have with your thoughts:  I am ecstatic over the Diggs trade, to me that was the biggest need and they addressed it big time (much better than trying to gamble on a rookie).  Secondly, the Fromm pick doesn't do much for me.  Like you said the backup QB can be important, and IMO Fromm won't be useful for years if ever.  I look forward to the time when J Allen is so secure in the position that a real QB can be positioned there - kind of like the New Orleans model.  This team would be much better positioned for a great season if it could have handled Cam as a backup.  If Josh goes down, the expectations for the season go down a cliff, and Fromm IMO does nothing to stop  that bleak scenario.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, I had a couple of accusations and ironically, I posted how happy I was with the Allen pick the day after he was drafted and have not uttered one bad word about him since.

And you are 100% correct. When an astute poster like BADOL is chastised and scorned by other posters for not marching lockstep with the party line, the board loses something and is worse off.

Gotham Bill, Attached is a link of Jeff Dantzler from the Bulldog Network on WGR talking about Fromm. It is an 11 min segment. Dantzler points out that Fromm hurt his draft standing at the combine. And he noted that because of the coronavirus plague he wasn't able to have interviews and workouts where he could rectify the combine perceptions. By all accounts Jake Fromm is an exceptional person who has a good head for the game.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-01-jeff-dantzler-from-the-georgia-bulldog-network-on-jake-fromm

Edited by JohnC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bill -

How can you be more excited about drafting Fromm than acquiring Diggs? I have zero problem drafting Fromm, but if Allen goes down for any extended period we're in trouble. As is the case for most teams if their starter goes down. I can't get excited that they're different either. Fromm isn't that type of talent. Let's see if he even makes the team. Drafting Fromm doesn't make us better, just gives us another option. Hopefully he develops. I'd much rather have an experienced back up. 

Also, I don't see any opposing D coordinators losing any sleep preparing for Fromm. Different than Josh? He sure is. He's no threat, as I see it.

Better at RB? You bet we are. Big time. :thumbsup:

Regarding #6 - The organization finally making sense? I'd contend you're late to this. They've been making sense since they've arrive. Doesn't mean everything they've done, every decision they've made is right, but the direction and path are paved. I'd expect both Beane and McDermott to be extended before long. Would be the smartest thing Pegs could do. 

I think we can both agree, better days ahead. :beer:

51 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Bill -glad to read your excitement.  I would have to think you would be in agreement with me on the unusual joy that New England has helped us achieve.  NE unable to come to grips with TB now has the Bills as frontrunners for the AFCE.  And to add to that NE took Duggar, and there are strong rumors that the Bills would have taken him over Epenesa.  I value Epenesa over Duggar and am pleased things broke the way they did in that regard.

The slight differences I have with your thoughts:  I am ecstatic over the Diggs trade, to me that was the biggest need and they addressed it big time (much better than trying to gamble on a rookie).  Secondly, the Fromm pick doesn't do much for me.  Like you said the backup QB can be important, and IMO Fromm won't be useful for years if ever.  I look forward to the time when J Allen is so secure in the position that a real QB can be positioned there - kind of like the New Orleans model.  This team would be much better positioned for a great season if it could have handled Cam as a backup.  If Josh goes down, the expectations for the season go down a cliff, and Fromm IMO does nothing to stop  that bleak scenario.

I can understand why some would not like Fromm. He doesn't have the big arm that sticks out at you and he doesn't have blazing foot speed. But, I have been watching him for years. He is smart, confident and a leader that his teammates seemed to respond well to. I am a huge Crimson Tide Fan and he had us beat until Tua made a play for the ages in overtime for the title.

I think that he will make it in this league but, make no mistake; the above does not make me "right." Theoretically, I am probably wrong given the number of professional GMs who passed on him. That said, as many here will tell you, many fans on this board have been more accurate wrt the draft than many GMs, including our own.

3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Bill -

How can you be more excited about drafting Fromm than acquiring Diggs? I have zero problem drafting Fromm, but if Allen goes down for any extended period we're in trouble. As is the case for most teams if their starter goes down. I can't get excited that they're different either. Fromm isn't that type of talent. Let's see if he even makes the team. Drafting Fromm doesn't make us better, just gives us another option. Hopefully he develops. I'd much rather have an experienced back up. 

Also, I don't see any opposing D coordinators losing any sleep preparing for Fromm. Different than Josh? He sure is. He's no threat, as I see it.

Diggs cost us a great deal in a draft that was loaded with wide receivers. I hope it works out and we will find out soon enough. Am I just a bit wounded and skeptical from the oh so many dumb trades/draft picks this team has made? Of course. How could I not be?

6 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Regarding #6 - The organization finally making sense? I'd contend you're late to this. They've been making sense since they've arrive. Doesn't mean everything they've done, every decision they've made is right, but the direction and path are paved. I'd expect both Beane and McDermott to be extended before long. Would be the smartest thing Pegs could do. 

I think we can both agree, better days ahead. :beer:

They passed on Mahomes and Watson. Again, I like Josh. I really do but stepping away from drafting one of these two and drafting a corner was the epitome of stupid. A textbook way to lose, and I don't care that Tre is a good or even great corner. It was idiotic to pass on these players. Obviously, Beane wasn't here yet and is not to blame.

Yes, better days ahead!!! 

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Diggs cost us a great deal in a draft that was loaded with wide receivers. I hope it works out and we will find out soon enough. Am I just a bit wounded and skeptical from the oh so many dumb trades/draft picks this team has made? Of course. How could I not be?

And prior to the trade I was incredibly worried about the WR1 pick.  Not only is the league wide hit rate around 50% but this front office seems below average.  And with the recent wounds of Zay Jones and K Benjamin who wasn't worried?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We got comfortable drafting quarterbacks and kickers.  That's probably a good sign but we can't get too complacent; BB never does.

Those picks are a sign of complacency?

Didn't BB draft a K? BB didn't draft a QB either. 

On 4/25/2020 at 8:55 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I say no..i think QBs that are not mobile stand a much better chance of getting hurt. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/quarterback-injuries-ben-roethlisberger-drew-brees-nick-foles-injury-update-2019-9

I know anecdotal, but look at this article from last year. Which one of these guys is a runnng QB? 

I think the idea that runing/mobile QBs get hurt more is akin to TOP results in wins. 

Football mythology, I agree. In all the times Josh has run, and we have easy access to review all of them, how many have ended with a bad or awkward hit?  I'd say less than 5.

Now how many bad hits has he suffered in the pocket?  Many more including the only one that has caused him to miss time.  That's my answer.  I have more concerns about a lower body injury from the huge, fast moving bodies associated with a collapsing pocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, Bill from NYC said:

7) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post as usual, Bill. I am particularly happy that they drafted a "project" QB and a K with low draft picks (yea I get excited about that kinda stuff). Round 5+ are perfect places to take flyers and special teams-only players. 

On 5/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Speaking for myself, I am generally impressed with BADOL's knowledge of the game. But I cannot stand his condescending attitude, arrogant style and a general inability to admit he was wrong

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, Bill from NYC said:

A lot of the chastisement of some posters is not because of there view on some of our guys, as I have my  own doubts as well, it is rather from the verbiage “some” use to express their views, it is all to often presented in absolutes, so it then naturally invites the rebuke, versus a constructive counter point. 

We all know there is a chance Josh doesn’t get a whole lot better than this past season, or even takes a step back, although unlikely, on the other hand he may very well make a big jump in his game and impress us all. 
   Nuthin but luv ??

Go Bills!!! 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:09 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

Speaking for myself, I am generally impressed with BADOL's knowledge of the game. But I cannot stand his condescending attitude, arrogant style and a general inability to admit he was wrong

I admit that Badol can be a tad brusque in his posts but remember, he has been chased and ridiculed by the unbending homers for many years, perhaps decades.

He is a true fan, and has been to virtually every home game for 20 or so years. Despite his tone at times, the knowledge he brings to this board is part of what makes this a great community.

I don't agree with him on every issue but what I can say is that when I have not, a large majority of the time (not 100% lol), I was on the wrong side.

The good news is that from what I know he isn't banned. This could be the time of year when he is very busy at work.

I await his views on this draft.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I admit that Badol can be a tad brusque in his posts but remember, he has been chased and ridiculed by the unbending homers for many years, perhaps decades.

He is a true fan, and has been to virtually every home game for 20 or so years. Despite his tone at times, the knowledge he brings to this board is part of what makes this a great community.

I don't agree with him on every issue but what I can say is that when I have, a large majority of the time (not 100% lol), I was on the wrong side.

The good news is that from what I know he isn't banned. This could be the time of year when he is very busy at work.

I await his views on this draft.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea I don't agree with Badol on everything either - although I think he is right more often than he is wrong.... but could do with a little bit more humility on the occasions he is wrong at times. The board is 100% a better place with him though. He is one of the guys whose posts I always make an effort to read. He does tend to be less active in the offseason and more active in the season. That pattern is pretty normal for him.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't agree with Badol on everything either - although I think he is right more often than he is wrong.... but could do with a little bit more humility on the occasions he is wrong at times. The board is 100% a better place with him though. He is one of the guys whose posts I always make an effort to read. He does tend to be less active in the offseason and more active in the season. That pattern is pretty normal for him.

I agree but I think this applies to most of us because we care so much for so long about the Bills. And like I said, he gets stalked and attacked.

Did you look at the thread that is up now from the archives about Mahomes having a bad week at practice? People were furious at him for saying Mahomes would be good and btw, he said BEFORE the draft that Tre White was the best corner in the draft.

GB there are still folks defending that trade and that is great.....this is a Bills message board. Badol isn't afraid to go against the grain and this makes this board more interesting.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I agree but I think this applies to most of us because we care so much for so long about the Bills. And like I said, he gets stalked and attacked.

Did you look at the thread that is up now from the archives about Mahomes having a bad week at practice? People were furious at him for saying Mahomes would be good and btw, he said BEFORE the draft that Tre White was the best corner in the draft.

GB there are still folks defending that trade and that is great.....this is a Bills message board. Badol isn't afraid to go against the grain and we need this to be a more interesting board.

Jmo.

I know he said before the draft that White would be the best corner. I remember discussing at length with him. I was Lattimore first and White and Humphrey tied 2nd very close behind. White at this stage is the best of the three but the other two are among the top half dozen corners in the league as well so not sure it matters that much at this stage - it was billed as the best DB class ever and through three seasons it has lived up to that billing.

• Like (+1) 1

I still don't get people not being sure about Diggs...if you watch other games besides the Bills you would know how good he is...as for Fromm...i think it was a good pick but to think it gives the Bills an advantage because our QBs are different doesn't make sense. How many teams game plan for the backup QB?

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

HIs fan-dom or football knowledge is never in doubt.

Anyway, we are good, sir. Happy to see you are happy with the draft as opposed to several years back when you were repeatedly disappointed 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:11 PM, Bill from NYC said:

1) I am completely thrilled by the Fromm pick. Does he have Josh Allen talent? Of course not, but he was a complete steal!!! What a wonderful pick!!! Fromm is very smart and he is a leader. Those who pay any attention to my posts know that I am an Alabama Fan, and have been one my whole life. I'm saying point blank that I would rather have Fromm than Hurts on the Bills. Does this make me "right?" No. Call it an educated guess.

Over the production of Alabama Jalen Hurts?  Maybe.  Over the production of Oklahoma Jalen Hurts?  Hell no.  Hurts is smart and a leader too.  And he's more physically talented than Fromm.

Edited by purple haze

59 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Over the production of Alabama Jalen Hurts?  Maybe.  Over the production of Oklahoma Jalen Hurts?  Hell no.  Hurts is smart and a leader too.  And he's more physically talented than Fromm.

Of course you are correct! The things is, who did Oklahoma play that had a decent defense?

I am not going to badmouth Jalen. He may turn out to be fine; I however think it might take him a while. Like I said, I could EASILY be wrong but I think that Fromm is a better fit in the NFL.