A Few Scattered Thoughts About The Draft.....

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

6) Congrats Bills Fans. Our organization finally appears to be making sense.

7) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First and foremost it is great to see a post from you.  Hope you and family are healthy and safe in the NYC area, 

Hipe to see you more active in the coming season

• Thank you (+1) 1

1) I am completely thrilled by the Fromm pick. Does he have Josh Allen talent? Of course not, but he was a complete steal!!! What a wonderful pick!!! Fromm is very smart and he is a leader. Those who pay any attention to my posts know that I am an Alabama Fan, and have been one my whole life. I'm saying point blank that I would rather have Fromm than Hurts on the Bills. Does this make me "right?" No. Call it an educated guess.

2) I have said before that I haven't seen enough Diggs to properly evaluate the trade. I also said that I was skeptical, and for good reason. Well, I am now just about OK with it. The Bills finally have a good OL, a young budding star QB, and what I think will be a fine backup.

3) It looks like they want to provide weapons to Josh, and prepare for him to get injured and have Fromm step in. What a great concept!!!! Chances are that a running QB like Josh WILL get hurt, no? They might actually be prepared for this now.

4) We might even be stronger at RB!

5) Don't you love the fact that Josh and Fromm are different style QBs? I mean really, how great is that? Opposing coaches will have to change their game plans if we are forced to switch. 

7) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If one were to read between the lines, it's as if you kinda hope Allen gets hurt or fails!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re out of practice, Bill.

juss sayin’

well, things have been rough in NYC so........

49 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Bill....trying to figure out the order of these thoughts of yours....alphabetical? chronological?

They are scattered

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills finally have a good OL, a young budding star QB, and what I think will be a fine backup.

We have a good OL? What did we do to really improve the OL in the off-season??

3) It looks like they want to provide weapons to Josh, and prepare for him to get injured and have Fromm step in. What a great concept!!!! Chances are that a running QB like Josh WILL get hurt, no? They might actually be prepared for this now.

It seems like you want Josh to get hurt. Also, I don't understand your giddiness about Fromm, a 5th round pick, just like Nate Peterman.

Edited by The Fiend
  • Like (+1) 2

Bill, there is an undercurrent to your post that screams "I don't believe in Josh Allen!"  This is absolutely your right, of course, but I thought I'd mention it since the majority of your post doesn't really have anything to do with the draft.

• Like (+1) 4

You're kinda all-in on this Fromm pick, eh?

I'll bet McBeane are much more geeked about the physical DE and RB who fell to them in rounds 2 and 3, to be honest. They will see the field in week one (barring injuries or viral complications).

The QB pick represented excellent value; I'll give you that. And it's good to invest in the most important position in all of sports. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Bill, there is an undercurrent to your post that screams "I don't believe in Josh Allen!"  This is absolutely your right, of course, but I thought I'd mention it since the majority of your post doesn't really have anything to do with the draft.

It was not intentional. How could one not get behind a qb as talented as Josh? Still, players get hurt. Ernie Accorsi once said that the most important player on your team is the qb, and the second most important is the backup qb.

Fromm does not have the talent of Josh. How many people do?  I still think that he might be a good QB and we got him in a late round. 

What is not to like?

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

The comment about teams having to change game plans for a potential switch at qb is one of the more moronic statements i keep reading over and over again 

I'm so sorry it bothered you sir. Impressing you would have pleased me.

Judging by your oh so well thought and well punctuated post, you seem to be a very intelligent person.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ny33 said:

I think the o-line is just ok, not good or great. 

The 2018 o-line was atrocious- one of the worst in NFL history- and Beane did a good job adding talent from free agency to protect their 2nd year QB. 

Dawkins is a middling starter, Morse somewhat above average, while Spain, Feliciano, and Ford are average at best (and Ford is a potentially massive liability). 

We need some elite talent on the o line, though I don’t think Beane saw an opportunity at 54 (Hunt went in the beginning of the round and there wasn’t much else available at guard). 

Every word in this sentence is a massive exaggeration.  While the line is not top 10, Dawkins is better than middling,  Morse is better that somewhat above average, and the other three are better than average.  And Ford is far, far fro ma massive liability, and was a rookie on top of all that asked to juggle between two positions a good part of the season.  On top of that 4 of the 5 guys weren't even with the team the year prior so there was little continuity.  Add in that Morse missed all of the off season which then caused  both Feliciano and Ford to switch positions (until Feliciano also got hurt) which again throughout training camp, limited reps together.  The first time all five got to play in their "normal" positions was opening day.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, ny33 said:

I think the o-line is just ok, not good or great. 

The 2018 o-line was atrocious- one of the worst in NFL history- and Beane did a good job adding talent from free agency to protect their 2nd year QB. 

Dawkins is a middling starter, Morse somewhat above average, while Spain, Feliciano, and Ford are average at best (and Ford is a potentially massive liability). 

We need some elite talent on the o line, though I don’t think Beane saw an opportunity at 54 (Hunt went in the beginning of the round and there wasn’t much else available at guard). 

agree.

Additionally, money will be an issue going into the future, so any thoughts about getting FA high caliber Oline might as well just go right out the window.  They have to draft their future linemen for a couple of years.

Hopefully our D and skill position talent will be enough.

I am not hating on our oline, I just agree in the thinking that they are simply ok.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) I am completely thrilled by the Fromm pick. Does he have Josh Allen talent? Of course not, but he was a complete steal!!! What a wonderful pick!!! Fromm is very smart and he is a leader. Those who pay any attention to my posts know that I am an Alabama Fan, and have been one my whole life. I'm saying point blank that I would rather have Fromm than Hurts on the Bills. Does this make me "right?" No. Call it an educated guess.

2) I have said before that I haven't seen enough Diggs to properly evaluate the trade. I also said that I was skeptical, and for good reason. Well, I am now just about OK with it. The Bills finally have a good OL, a young budding star QB, and what I think will be a fine backup.

4) We might even be stronger at RB!

5) Don't you love the fact that Josh and Fromm are different style QBs? I mean really, how great is that? Opposing coaches will have to change their game plans if we are forced to switch. 

I agree in general with your comments but disagree with your take on Fromm when comparing him to Hurts. With respect to Fromm I, like you, consider his selection in the fifth round a good selection. I don't believe that he is better than Hurts because the former Bama and OK qb has so much more upside rising to the level of a starter. However, he would not have been a wise selection for us in this draft whereas the Fromm selection does if one believes his role as a backup, which I do. 

As you noted Fromm is a smart qb who has a keen grasp of the mental side of the game. On the other hand he lacks the arm talent to maximize his impressive intellectual grasp of the game. He reminds me a lot of Barkley who is also a smart qb but also has some arm limitations. 

With a player such as Fromm he is the type of player who can end up with a long and lucrative career as a backup just like players such as Chase Daniels, Casey Keenum and Nick Foles. For the role that I see Fromm filling this was a good pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:35 AM, Bill from NYC said:

It was not intentional. How could one not get behind a qb as talented as Josh? Still, players get hurt. Ernie Accorsi once said that the most important player on your team is the qb, and the second most important is the backup qb.

Fromm does not have the talent of Josh. How many people do?  I still think that he might be a good QB and we got him in a late round. 

What is not to like?

I thought you might appreciate this assessment of Jake Fromm from ESPN's Jim Nagy who was on WGR. His positive view corresponds with your view of him. He points out that Fromm outperformed Eason and Fields, now highly touted as a player at Ohio State, when they were at Georgia. He's not saying that he is better but that he competed against them and had to show something to earn the starting job.  This is a 10 minute segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-30-espns-jim-nagy

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

I thought you might appreciate this assessment of Jake Fromm from ESPN's Jim Nagy who was on WGR. His positive view corresponds with your view of him. He points out that Fromm outperformed Eason and Fields, now highly touted as a player at Ohio State, when they were at Georgia. He's not saying that he is better but that he competed against them and had to show something to earn the starting job.  This is a 10 minute segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-30-espns-jim-nagy

Great stuff, thanks!

It is worth noting that the Bills were NOT looking for a qb at the time, but couldn't resist Fromm when he was still there. This was such an intelligent move by Beane! Also, they were talking about his arm strength and said it won't be a problem, and I agree. Do I expect Josh Allen or Drew Bledsoe circus throws? Of course not. Are they a necessity? No.

John, I never said that I expect Fromm to beat out Josh, and I do not want, nor do I expect any type of QB controversy. I do however expect Fromm to develop into a good quarterback. I also think that he was a GREAT draft pick. Other Bills GMs would have simply reached at a less important position. Instead, we have a good, smart kid who if he DOES develop, at the very least will be worth a high draft pick. There was nothing to lose and quite a bit to gain.

I'm loving it! 

• Like (+1) 1