A Few Scattered Thoughts About The Draft.....

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My bold prediction was the Bills would not trade at all.....

Beane’s pattern is that......he has no pattern. 

Like our draft, but I’m not expecting Fromm to be the backup this year. Maybe next, but should be safe on the PS while he sits and learns. I wish we had more speed at RB, a guy that scares a defense, but I like what we have and maybe the transition from rugby to football had time to sink in. 

It’s awesome to go into a draft with a roster that is not Swiss cheese, which is more holes than cheese. I absolutely LOVE our direction! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

Great to see a "few thoughts" post, Bill. Miss your post-game posts. 

For my part the OL still makes me nervous. Allen is good at getting out of jams and that covers some of their sins. He can't be thrilled about the right side not upgrading. 

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Need a Dead lyric Bill :devil:

Six hundred pounds of sin, staring in my window all I said was come on in... don’t murder me... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

All in all a good draft, combined with FA and our existing roster we are looking pretty well set.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) I am completely thrilled by the Fromm pick. Does he have Josh Allen talent? Of course not, but he was a complete steal!!! What a wonderful pick!!! Fromm is very smart and he is a leader. Those who pay any attention to my posts know that I am an Alabama Fan, and have been one my whole life. I'm saying point blank that I would rather have Fromm than Hurts on the Bills. Does this make me "right?" No. Call it an educated guess.

2) I have said before that I haven't seen enough Diggs to properly evaluate the trade. I also said that I was skeptical, and for good reason. Well, I am now just about OK with it. The Bills finally have a good OL, a young budding star QB, and what I think will be a fine backup.

3) It looks like they want to provide weapons to Josh, and prepare for him to get injured and have Fromm step in. What a great concept!!!! Chances are that a running QB like Josh WILL get hurt, no? They might actually be prepared for this now.

4) We might even be stronger at RB!

5) Don't you love the fact that Josh and Fromm are different style QBs? I mean really, how great is that? Opposing coaches will have to change their game plans if we are forced to switch. 

6) Congrats Bills Fans. Our organization finally appears to be making sense.

7) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why skeptical over the Diggs trade?  If anything, the draft reinforced that it probably was a good move.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

<snip>

2) I have said before that I haven't seen enough Diggs to properly evaluate the trade. I also said that I was skeptical, and for good reason. Well, I am now just about OK with it. <snip>

I remember watching a commercial not too long ago featuring Diggs catching everything in sight (Allstate?).

I thought to myself, "why can't we have such nice things".

Now we do.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, flmike said:

Great to see a "few thoughts" post, Bill. Miss your post-game posts. 

For my part the OL still makes me nervous. Allen is good at getting out of jams and that covers some of their sins. He can't be thrilled about the right side not upgrading. 

I'm thinking Josh is high as a cloud right now with everything that's been added and will be quite happy having the same group in front of him again. He knows their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses and can adjust accordingly. But I can't imagine him thinking about the line right now.

Edited by beerme1

2 hours ago, ny33 said:

I think the o-line is just ok, not good or great. 

The 2018 o-line was atrocious- one of the worst in NFL history- and Beane did a good job adding talent from free agency to protect their 2nd year QB. 

Dawkins is a middling starter, Morse somewhat above average, while Spain, Feliciano, and Ford are average at best (and Ford is a potentially massive liability). 

We need some elite talent on the o line, though I don’t think Beane saw an opportunity at 54 (Hunt went in the beginning of the round and there wasn’t much else available at guard). 

I agree with you. Thought they might add an interior O lineman since the Tackles weren't as bountiful after round 1. I like that they've added Oliver/Epenesa to the D line and Cody Ford to the O line so there are some younger guys. I think the O line needs more premium players to really progress from where it is now. I see it as being average at best and that might not be good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ny33 said:

I think the o-line is just ok, not good or great. 

The 2018 o-line was atrocious- one of the worst in NFL history- and Beane did a good job adding talent from free agency to protect their 2nd year QB. 

Dawkins is a middling starter, Morse somewhat above average, while Spain, Feliciano, and Ford are average at best (and Ford is a potentially massive liability). 

We need some elite talent on the o line, though I don’t think Beane saw an opportunity at 54 (Hunt went in the beginning of the round and there wasn’t much else available at guard). 

I think the Bills offensive line is pretty good, even without elite talent from an individual standpoint. Offensive line is about unit play and depth more than about individual talent and continuity helps here.

My favorite thing about the way they build it is that they constant bring in as many guys with starting experience as they can.

Dawkins

Spain

Morse

Feliciano

Ford

Nsekhe

Williams

puts the team 7 deep at players who can start and Buffalo also has Long and Bates too.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

3) It looks like they want to provide weapons to Josh, and prepare for him to get injured and have Fromm step in. What a great concept!!!! Chances are that a running QB like Josh WILL get hurt, no? They might actually be prepared for this now.

I say no..i think QBs that are not mobile stand a much better chance of getting hurt. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/quarterback-injuries-ben-roethlisberger-drew-brees-nick-foles-injury-update-2019-9

I know anecdotal, but look at this article from last year. Which one of these guys is a runnng QB? 

I think the idea that runing/mobile QBs get hurt more is akin to TOP results in wins. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

This was a terrible draft, I don’t mean for Buffalo, but for all 32 teams.  We are just lucky Buffalo didn’t have a lot of needs, I wouldn’t be surprised if we only kept 3 players from this weekend.  Not because of bad picks, but not enough room.

How I view our fellow AFC Easters,

Jets drafted the most overrated player in the draft round 1, followed it up with an incomplete WR, but they did get a good backup RB... 

Miami drafted to replace; their QB that Game managed his new team to the AFC championship, a tackle that is elite for Houston and a first team all pro DB who is a steeler.  bottom line, they are worse than they were in 2018, slightly better than their 2019 team.

NE- drafted a gadget player, a LB that Can blitz, but will be exposed in coverage and a bunch of guys that would fill Buffalo’s Practice squad. They didn’t improve and should resemble the the pre Brady and pre Bledsoe days.

I am feeling pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1