The Bills front office did a ton of work this year on the WR class and then traded for Stefon Diggs, but that work was not wasted

I predicted the Bills would get at least one WR steal in the draft because they did so much work on scouting and evaluation with WRs this year. It would have been a shame for that to go to waste just because they traded out of the 1st where everyone expected them to take a WR1  and got a vet instead. The fact they took 2 -even after acquiring Diggs -means they believe in both Davis and Hodgins not only talent-wise but as complements to the group they have 

Hodgins is actually similar to Tee Higgins without the tiger paw on the helmet 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

See ya McKenzie, Foster, and Duke. Numbers game says unless Hodgins performs poorly in camp, they're all gone.

Competition is king. And when McD was asked what he looked for in a WR he said “well they need to be able to catch the ball.” Word, Coach.  He knows he would have won that playoff game if Duke caught that TD or John Brown gets his feet in bounds. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

See ya McKenzie, Foster, and Duke. Numbers game says unless Hodgins performs poorly in camp, they're all gone.

It was clearly our biggest team fault , WR rarely got yac it seemed and Beane kept saying all off season , he wants TD makers, a guy that can take a 5 yard pass 80 yards. . Well he certainly wasn't lieing , these 2 rookies have a ton of potential. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Competition is king. And when McD was asked what he looked for in a WR he said “well they need to be able to catch the ball.” Word, Coach.  He knows he would have won that playoff game if Duke caught that TD or John Brown gets his feet in bounds. 

Exactly! This WR /RB group will be a massive upgrade from last year. We have so much versatility with the addition of these rookies. Can't wait

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Competition is king. And when McD was asked what he looked for in a WR he said “well they need to be able to catch the ball.” Word, Coach. 

That line is actually pretty telling.  It doesn't matter how big, fast, or explosive you are if you don't catch the darn ball.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I’d rather cut Roberts and keep McKenzie... yes I know McKenzie has some fumbling issues, but if they were that bad why would we design sweeps with him on critical downs?

mckenzie is younger, cheaper and more of a WR/sweep threat than Roberts 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PolishPrince said:

I’d rather cut Roberts and keep McKenzie... yes I know McKenzie has some fumbling issues, but if they were that bad why would we design sweeps with him on critical downs?

mckenzie is younger, cheaper and more of a WR/sweep threat than Roberts 

PR/KR I don't trust McKenzie at all. Wish I did. 

• Like (+1) 10

Drive killing drops were huge last year.

We all watched the playoffs and saw all these other teams receivers catching “ bad passes” consistently.

Getting Josh to the point he trusts his receivers is a huge step forward. He started to throw more 50/50 balls last year. It would be nice to see us win those finally.

To me Knox AND Beasely have to be more consistent catching . They are starters and starters can’t drop balls as much as they did. 
     It will be nice if one of these rookies comes in and legit competes for playing time AND produces when he gets it....... been a LONG time since we’ve seen that.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Drive killing drops were huge last year.

We all watched the playoffs and saw all these other teams receivers catching “ bad passes” consistently.

Getting Josh to the point he trusts his receivers is a huge step forward. He started to throw more 50/50 balls last year. It would be nice to see us win those finally.

To me Knox AND Beasely have to be more consistent catching . They are starters and starters can’t drop balls as much as they did. 
     It will be nice if one of these rooms comes in and legit competes for playing time AND produces when he gets it....... been a LONG time since we’ve seen that.

McD wants WR he can trust 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

PR/KR I don't trust McKenzie at all. Wish I did. 

Roberts went to the pro bowl as a KR/PR. We need that more than a gadget play or two. We will find someone for jet sweeps although that was McKenzie's money play and it worked.  But I think it's going to be tough for him. We needed that trickery to pick up those 3rd and 4's but I think we have more versatility and guys like Moss will run it down someones throat to pick up those short yardage 3rds while they open up the field for TE's and inside WR's.

I'd like to see Devin split out with Moss in the backfield and let Devin run those sweeps. You keep a D honest with threats like Davis and Brown and Diggs out there, plus Knox working the middle.  We would have a lot of versatility for those trick plays because a defense won't know what to expect and just when you think they got it figured out, Josh runs a bootleg and scores!!!! GO BILLS

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wawrow made a good point on Twitter.

In what is almost certain to be a shortened or non-existent offseason, it's going to be tough for a guy like Hodgins to claim a roster spot over guys like Foster and McKenzie.

I wish there was someone else on the Bills roster who could return kicks, so that they didn't have to use a coveted WR roster spot -- they usually keep six or less -- on a 30+ year old guy who ONLY contributes as a kick returner. I don't want such a player to push a talented, young guy like Hodgins off the roster.

Alas, the two youngsters each have defined roles. Davis will learn behind John Brown at X and be a situation deep threat and play special teams. Hodgins will be a big slot and red zone weapon. I just hope they make the final 53.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Wawrow made a good point on Twitter.

In what is almost certain to be a shortened or non-existent offseason, it's going to be tough for a guy like Hodgins to claim a roster spot over guys like Foster and McKenzie.

I wish there was someone else on the Bills roster who could return kicks, so that they didn't have to use a coveted WR roster spot -- they usually keep six or less -- on a 30+ year old guy who ONLY contributes as a kick returner. I don't want such a player to push a talented, young guy like Hodgins off the roster.

Alas, the two youngsters each have defined roles. Davis will learn behind John Brown at X and be a situation deep threat and play special teams. Hodgins will be a big slot and red zone weapon. I just hope they make the final 53.

I agree with wawrow. It’s why teams depending on rookies to play starting roles are going to struggle a bit imo. But Bills didn’t draft those types. They enhanced a roster instead of filling holes.  I think if they have some semblance of TC, WRs can separate themselves past the starting group 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup, I quoted that very statement by Sean several times in threads post combine. It is the single most important trait for any receiver, nothing else matters if ya can’t do the one thing consistently.

Of our current receivers Duke has the 4th highest catch percentage at 63.2 percent, behind Diggs, Brown, and Beasley iirc.  Imo Foster, Nick and Ray Ray should be goners. Roberts, Williams and Mckenzie are all on the bubble. Roberts although good as a returner is not a good WR, sure wish the would assign someone else to do returns and gain a roster position for another scoring option on offense, and let the chips fall where they may with the remaining receivers. Jmo.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh man, you just brought back what must've been a repressed memory already. I'd forgotten about Duke's drop. That was a rough one to see. Tough catch for sure, but it was there. I can't quite recall Brown's miss on the other play you mentioned so maybe it was worse, haha.