Beane, please go get Clowney

I know he gets flack on here but I'd rather have Murphy at his contract then Clowney at his and we're loaded on the DL besides that. 

I forgot , Hughes lost a step , according to many on here. The same guy that had 3 sacks and 4 hurries in the Wildcard game against the highest paid LT in the league.. 

This DL is going to be greatly improved. Addison is a big time upgrade. QJeff was an upgrade. Harry is back. Butler is an upgrade . Oliver should be playing at an all pro level . ?. And now AJ , we're loaded and extremely versatile

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I know he gets flack on here but I'd rather have Murphy at his contract then Clowney at his and we're loaded on the DL besides that. 

I forgot , Hughes lost a step , according to many on here. The same guy that had 3 sacks and 4 hurries in the Wildcard game against the highest paid LT in the league.. 

This DL is going to be greatly improved. Addison is a big time upgrade. QJeff was an upgrade. Harry is back. Butler is an upgrade . Oliver should be playing at an all pro level . ?. And now AJ , we're loaded and extremely versatile

Hughes is still very good. Murphy is absolute garbage. Clowney is overrated but on a one year prove it deal he would be a great. 

They just picked up 5th year extension on White. Even if they wanted to extend him it would not affect cap now as it would have to be years after his current deal.

They have the money to spend now. 

There is no tomorrow.  Win now while Allen is cheap.

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hughes is still very good. Murphy is absolute garbage. Clowney is overrated but on a one year prove it deal he would be a great. 

They just picked up 5th year extension on White. Even if they wanted to extend him it would not affect cap now as it would have to be years after his current deal.

They have the money to spend now. 

There is no tomorrow.  Win now while Allen is cheap.

Agreed.   Although Murphy played big in Houston.  I really think that was the motivation behind the Diggs deal , the window is probably the next 3 seasons, maybe the next 4.   But they are really just roster building for the next 4-5 years and beyond.   This roster will be strong for 4-6 years.  They did it right.   They have cap, a strong roster and Allen for 3 years more at least.   Gotta like it. 

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, akcash said:

Stupid comments in this thread... yeah we have bodies... not like we're going on a superbowl run or anything this year. Theres two people you can cut and you have enough money to sign him for a year.

"we have bodies"

Now THAT was a stupid comment......I invite you to look to see where our D was ranked last year and that does not  happen without quality DL.   We have already aggressively addressed this last year, in free agenc this year, and in the draft with our 2nd pick.

You care too much about the name on the back of the jersey.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

"we have bodies"

Now THAT was a stupid comment......I invite you to look to see where our D was ranked last year and that does not  happen without quality DL.   We have already aggressively addressed this last year, in free agenc this year, and in the draft with our 2nd pick.

You care too much about the name on the back of the jersey.

I don't care about name on jersey. And I agree they have addressed the losses but they still lack a dominant pass rush. Hughes will be a year older. Both starting DE will be over 30.  Pass rush equals turnovers. I wanted two edge players in this draft and they got one. It's the only missing part on the defense except perhaps backup FS.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't care about name on jersey. And I agree they have addressed the losses but they still lack a dominant pass rush. Hughes will be a year older. Both starting DE will be over 30.  Pass rush equals turnovers. I wanted two edge players in this draft and they got one. It's the only missing part on the defense except perhaps backup FS.

On a top 5 defense.....

Look I think its important to note what type of DE's McD is looking for here and how that impacts the plan.....

Love Hughes.....but look at the trend of the way McD is going with his ends.....our 2nd round pick this year?   Daryl Williams from last year? these guys are mountains with huge wingspans.

I say this right here right now....I think the vets we brought in and have will be solid this year.....and if Daryl Williams has been in a weightroom this offseason.....combined with AJ who was a 1st round talent....we are absolutely fine at DE.

We focused on getting better with our INTERIOR pass rush.....allowing long wingspan edges to contain and work outside in.

Until McD has shown that he DOESNT have a very good defense....I refuse to worry about this.

Want to help our top 5 defense?   Score more points (which it looks like they understand with this draft.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well, as nicely as I can, I have to call BS on that statement that you don’t care about the name on the jersey.  If that were true, you would not be advocating for Clowney.  Without the name, if you just looked at production, you would quickly conclude there is no need for the player as the Bills already have players who equal or exceed that production.   With the name and injury history, and the ridiculous contract demands, hard no.  Spurious argument you are making all around.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

On a top 5 defense.....

Look I think its important to note what type of DE's McD is looking for here and how that impacts the plan.....

Love Hughes.....but look at the trend of the way McD is going with his ends.....our 2nd round pick this year?   Daryl Williams from last year? these guys are mountains with huge wingspans.

I say this right here right now....I think the vets we brought in and have will be solid this year.....and if Daryl Williams has been in a weightroom this offseason.....combined with AJ who was a 1st round talent....we are absolutely fine at DE.

We focused on getting better with our INTERIOR pass rush.....allowing long wingspan edges to contain and work outside in.

Until McD has shown that he DOESNT have a very good defense....I refuse to worry about this.

Want to help our top 5 defense?   Score more points (which it looks like they understand with this draft.)

Top 5 in yards (tied for 10th in takeaways) and folded in the playoff game, but I generally agree with everything you posted.

You can score more points with short fields off of turnovers.  That is why I want more pass rush.  They let the best interior pass rusher go and now they have to hope Oliver gets better.  He was improving throughout the year.  

Bringing back the OL and adding Diggs t back-up RB is perfect, but the offense is all about Allen's development. 

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Well, as nicely as I can, I have to call BS on that statement that you don’t care about the name on the jersey.  If that were true, you would not be advocating for Clowney.  Without the name, if you just looked at production, you would quickly conclude there is no need for the player as the Bills already have players who equal or exceed that production.   With the name and injury history, and the ridiculous contract demands, hard no.  Spurious argument you are making all around.  

Clowney would have third highest career sack total on the team in 5 seasons compared to Addison (8) and Hughes(10).  After his rookie year, in the last 5 years Clowney has missed 9 games.  Not great but not terrible.  Addison has only missed 3 in that same time but is 5 years older.  

He is a productive and disruptive DE. Not worth elite money I agree 100%.  But he would make the defense better and they have the money to bring him in.  

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Top 5 in yards (tied for 10th in takeaways) and folded in the playoff game, but I generally agree with everything you posted.

You can score more points with short fields off of turnovers.  That is why I want more pass rush.  They let the best interior pass rusher go and now they have to hope Oliver gets better.  He was improving throughout the year.  

Bringing back the OL and adding Diggs t back-up RB is perfect, but the offense is all about Allen's development. 

Are you saying lawson or the dt we got from Miami was our best interior pass rush guy

aj replaces everything we got from lawson but even if he didn’t free agent Jefferson will

addison has a lot of sacks over the last 2 years

olver was virtually unblockable by the end of the year

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Clowney would have third highest career sack total on the team in 5 seasons compared to Addison (8) and Hughes(10).  After his rookie year, in the last 5 years Clowney has missed 9 games.  Not great but not terrible.  Addison has only missed 3 in that same time but is 5 years older.  

He is a productive and disruptive DE. Not worth elite money I agree 100%.  But he would make the defense better and they have the money to bring him in.  

Signing Clowney would really be outside the box for Beane. Clowney has middle of the pack production, wants to be paid like he's top 5, and doesn't have the type of attitude he generally looks for..everything about Clowney screams desperation signing for whatever team gives into the type of money he wants. Desperation signing rarely work out. Why would you pay top 5 money to a guy that struggles with consistency? Seems like you're setting yourself up to be disappointed with a guy like that once he gets paid.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Every rep you give Clowney Takes a rep away from Esparza we might have to cut Murphy as it is

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Are you saying lawson or the dt we got from Miami was our best interior pass rush guy

aj replaces everything we got from lawson but even if he didn’t free agent Jefferson will

addison has a lot of sacks over the last 2 years

olver was virtually unblockable by the end of the year

Jordan Phillips - 9.5 sacks from the DT spot.  Yes he led the team in sacks last year.  He is gone.  And yes Oliver played better as the year went on.  

I agree, AJ looks like he can do everything Lawson did. He is tall, stout, and a hustle player.  Most of Lawson's sacks last year were effort sacks.  Good solid draft pick.  

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Jordan Phillips - 9.5 sacks from the DT spot.  Yes he led the team in sacks last year.  He is gone.  And yes Oliver played better as the year went on.  

I agree, AJ looks like he can do everything Lawson did. He is tall, stout, and a hustle player.  Most of Lawson's sacks last year were effort sacks.  Good solid draft pick.  

He says he models his game after JJ Watt I wonder how close he can get