Rd 7, pick 239 (from vikes): CB, Dane Jackson, Pitt

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Beane has never been a "BPA" drafter. It's more accurate to say he's a BVA (Best Value Available) drafter. He literally said they had a higher rated player on the board at one point and took someone else. It's not drafting based on need, but in Beane's words again, "No sense in drafting a guy who can't make the roster". If you're loaded at a position, it doesn't make sense to take another guy at that position.

BPA and the phrase you use, BVA are the same thing. Mathematically speaking, if a guy is the best value available, that means he's the BPA, definitionally. I'm not sure I understand how there could be any difference. 

And when you said that Beane had said "they had a higher rated player on the board at one point and took someone else," I thought, "Gee, I never heard that, I'd better go back and listen again." And he actually never said that. He said that in four of seven cases they took the highest rated guy. But he also said that in one specific case they had two guys rated equally and took the one because the other was at a position that was already strong so his chances of making the team were lower. That leaves two more, and he never made clear whether the other cases were just cases of having guys equal or not. They may have been. It sure sounded like he was saying that if they in fact weren't equal then they were extremely close.

Certainly I agree that if guys are equal or virtually equal you should make strategic decisions factoring in such things as position strength, position depth and that kind of thing as part of your thought process on who to pick.

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Watch this and tell me you don’t see Dane Jackson out there. Styles are very similar. 

https://youtu.be/BEkKWeUYZPs

https://youtu.be/oWDK2bdAyA4

I do see some similarities. For me, when I look at Dane Jackson tackling, I see a more violent Antoine Winfield (the pop, I don't know the son well).

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

BPA and the phrase you use, BVA are the same thing. Mathematically speaking, if a guy is the best value available, that means he's the BPA, definitionally. I'm not sure I understand how there could be any difference. 

And when you said that Beane had said "they had a higher rated player on the board at one point and took someone else," I thought, "Gee, I never heard that, I'd better go back and listen again." And he actually never said that. He said that in four of seven cases they took the highest rated guy. But he also said that in one specific case they had two guys rated equally and took the one because the other was at a position that was already strong so his chances of making the team were lower. That leaves two more, and he never made clear whether the other cases were just cases of having guys equal or not. They may have been. It sure sounded like he was saying that if they in fact weren't equal then they were extremely close.

Certainly I agree that if guys are equal or virtually equal you should make strategic decisions factoring in such things as position strength, position depth and that kind of thing as part of your thought process on who to pick.

I do see some similarities. For me, when I look at Dane Jackson tackling, I see a more violent Antoine Winfield (the pop, I don't know the son well).

I dunno man, Winfield was violent. Dane is pretty mean, but Winfield is a whole another level. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s a super tough kid.  I don’t ever remember yelling at the TV because of him lol.  I think he’ll compete for the nickel spot.  Most likely he’ll be a PS squad guy his first year.  

If he can contribute in a year, he is a great 7th round pick.

I went back and watched the Senior Bowl on my DVR. Jackson looked okay. I think he was great in run support and coverage in the short/intermediate areas. Got burnt by deep speed from Denzel Mims a couple of times. But good tools for a 7th round pick. Seems like he should have went higher and he’s a guy, who at worst could eventually transition to a safety role. I do really like the way he tackles though. Maybe a core special teamer. 

21 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

CBs in general are so undervalued. Good CBs dramatically change the defense and allow the DL that much more time to do their thing. Give me a 3 very good CBs over a RB any day of the week. 

Paging @Bill from NYC...you are needed in this thread, STAT.

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

I did read that...thanks

It really will only come to play when you have multiple players banged up at one position.  Rather than activate a PS guy for the 53 for a game or two you might just push him on the 55 for a week or two.  Just saves you the extra moves to accommodate that situation. 

Normally youd have to drop someone off 53, activate the other guy, maybe he dresses maybe he doesnt.  Then afterwards you cut the one guy, maybe bring back the original guy, and hope that the other guy can then get moved back onto the PS.  

7 hours ago, eball said:

Paging @Bill from NYC...you are needed in this thread, STAT.

LOL you don't need my help to respond to this!

>>>>>Give me a 3 very good CBs over a RB any day of the week. <<<<<

Hey, he really went out on a limb, no? :)

So, I guess he is saying that it would be better to have Sanders, Blount, and Revis on your team than Spiller. Kinda tough to argue with, wouldn't you say? With what the game has evolved into after the rule changes, I would rather have 3 great corners than Earl Campbell, or even Jim Brown in his prime.

That said, I don't think it wise to build a football team around the secondary. I think that most open minded Bills Fans would look at our dismal history and agree, but; life must be fun when looking through rose colored glasses.

I was never that sort of giddy person but I am probably missing out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic