Rd 7, pick 239 (from vikes): CB, Dane Jackson, Pitt

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No trade ups this year...

Hope people remember that next year when immediately predicting a “trade back into the round” every time Beane makes a pick ..

That just means his magic works best with some face to face time prior to the draft. This season is the anomaly. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

they picked a CB...can everyone breathe now? 

I think the Bills view their CB depth more favorably than posters on this board do..

Or BPA worked out such that a CB we liked was never BPA on our board when we drafted

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Really looks like a player to me.  

Never heard of him before but I like the way he tackles in that video.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Or BPA worked out such that a CB we liked was never BPA on our board when we drafted

Yeah, after watching some videos, he looks like he could be a perfect practice squad guy if he doesn’t make the team outright.  

Taron Johnson is brittle.  wallace, Norman and gaines aren’t really known for their nickel skills from my experience watching them.  It would be nice to have someone other than Neal to jump in there. Eager to see him compete 

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would suggest that like Moss, they ultimately stayed put and the guy they were going to pick was there when they picked...Maybe a lesson of patience was learned..

I would still rather that generally they let the draft come to them and use those fourth and fifth round picks to throw a few darts..

They seem to be drafting pretty well these past few years so the more guys they can look at in a Training camp the better..

Hey Joe, post draft Beane admitted he tried to trade up in 3 rd round as much as 7 spots. However,  the other gm procrastinated until 2 min left on the clock and Beane pressed him because if clock ran out another team cold have jumped them for moss defeating the. Trade. So the trade fell thru, not because of Beanes restraint. He talked with others who also delayed and stood on their pics. Actually Beane admirer he got lucky moss was there or as he said “ I would not have been in the same mood I am now “.  I am in  minority I know, but this is why I didn’t like the espensa pick that much. Dobbins was right there for the taking , a 2000 yd, 3 down back who is a good receiver. ESpenesa fell because of lack of quickness , 31 other teams who also love edge rushers and no one pulled the trigger. He may turn out ok but we have other edge guys from free agency and last years pics so I am not sure we will see the same production from espensa he had in college.

Maybe, but dobbins was rated the # 1 back on many boards including the ravens asmststed by Harbaugh who was relieved to get him. He was good enough for the ravens who had the #1 rushing attack last year as having watched himthe past two years, imho he is a special talent. On the other hand moss is a change of pace, bruiser those unlikely to break long runs but does break many tackles. He is a good addition , but not as good as dobbins , and should motor go down , I am not sure moss is a 3 down back and Beane said this much. He was very honest in post draft interviews. 

I love Beanes work here and really like most of his pics and he is very good at free agency. I just wonder if this may come back to haunt us similar to passing on mahomes ( trust me I do love Allen here now tho, but mahomes I’d very special), as we may have to go thri the ravens for the SB, and I dread thinking of Dobbins running thru us for a win. Only time will tell. But Beane admittedly got lucky with moss being there and if we w

didnt land moss, espensa and not having an adequate 2nd rib ( also Beane said we will always be a RB by committee and “ clubs usually don’t have workhorse backs any longer” ) would have made this an average draft imho. Love the rest of the pics with exception of fromm only because I thought it was too early for a definite backup qb whose strength is on the meeting room and not necessarily on the field with a noticeable weak delivery as stated by several draft analysts watching him at the combine. Great wr pics, and kicker looks solid. My thinking on JK was bring him in and see who wins starting job as it not like Singletary is firmly entrenched for years as the starter. That way we have two equally solid 3 down backs should injury occur.   I am nitpicking cuz as Beane admitted, luckily it worked out.  But Beane was not showing restraint as he tried to trade up and then maybe we don’t get Fromm, a kicker or secoond wr this in the draft as he was offering a 6 th or 7 th pic as he vaguely admitted too. Maybe this will be a lesson learned for a young gm  He admitted rb was a glaring need and they got lucky with moss, but also might have gotten greedy with espensa as that was not as pressing a need but Beane felt the value was too high to pass. 

just some thoughts based on my liking of jk and Beanes candor in post draft interviews.  Hey espensa and moss are Bills and i hope both are hugely successful. We have a lot,of work to do to catch the chiefs and ravens if we want to contend for the Conference. We still have not won a playoff game in 24 years so all the rose glasses are lost on me till we actually get home playoff games and advance !  I hope it Happens in my lifetime as I am 62 now and being in medicine, this corona virus admittedly has me pretty skittish!??. Best wishes. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DJB said:

Breakdown if possible?

Growing up near and watching Dane play here us my breakdown:

1. Natural athlete: as posted on the bills website, he was a football and basketball star in high school.  he went to a small school here in Western PA, but competition and quality at that level is still really high.

2.  At Pitt: he played outside and inside (Nickel or slot).  Very physical, for a smaller stature player.  Solid tackler, good  Blitzer, and very quick...not only feet but ability to diagnose plays..  He reminds me a lot of taron Johnson or even nickel robey Coleman to be honest, and at the NFL is likely to be a nickel or slot cover corner.  Nothing wrong with that though, nickel corner is a very important position.   Another team first, physical and "loves football" type of guy, great selection

3. Draft position: I might be biased, but think any other year, Dane is likely a late 4th or early 5th round pick.  Similar to Taron and his draft position.  Since he doesn't project well to outside corner and the slew of wrs this year, he got pushed down.  But this guy will make the team, no doubt and might even start.

4.  Projection: he will compete with taron at the nickel corner/slot cover corner.  Great pick, he provides much needed depth or possibly a starter at that position.  Behind Taron, we tried Neal and Marlowe last year, and remember what happened once Taron got injured against the Texans.  

• Thank you (+1) 4

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Hey Joe, post draft Beane admitted he tried to trade up in 3 rd round as much as 7 spots. However,  the other gm procrastinated until 2 min left on the clock and Beane pressed him because if clock ran out another team cold have jumped them for moss defeating the. Trade. So the trade fell thru, not because of Beanes restraint. He talked with others who also delayed and stood on their pics. Actually Beane admirer he got lucky moss was there or as he said “ I would not have been in the same mood I am now “.  I am in  minority I know, but this is why I didn’t like the espensa pick that much. Dobbins was right there for the taking , a 2000 yd, 3 down back who is a good receiver. ESpenesa fell because of lack of quickness , 31 other teams who also love edge rushers and no one pulled the trigger. He may turn out ok but we have other edge guys from free agency and last years pics so I am not sure we will see the same production from espensa he had in college.

Maybe, but dobbins was rated the # 1 back on many boards including the ravens asmststed by Harbaugh who was relieved to get him. He was good enough for the ravens who had the #1 rushing attack last year as having watched himthe past two years, imho he is a special talent. On the other hand moss is a change of pace, bruiser those unlikely to break long runs but does break many tackles. He is a good addition , but not as good as dobbins , and should motor go down , I am not sure moss is a 3 down back and Beane said this much. He was very honest in post draft interviews. 

I love Beanes work here and really like most of his pics and he is very good at free agency. I just wonder if this may come back to haunt us similar to passing on mahomes ( trust me I do love Allen here now tho, but mahomes I’d very special), as we may have to go thri the ravens for the SB, and I dread thinking of Dobbins running thru us for a win. Only time will tell. But Beane admittedly got lucky with moss being there and if we w

didnt land moss, espensa and not having an adequate 2nd rib ( also Beane said we will always be a RB by committee and “ clubs usually don’t have workhorse backs any longer” ) would have made this an average draft imho. Love the rest of the pics with exception of fromm only because I thought it was too early for a definite backup qb whose strength is on the meeting room and not necessarily on the field with a noticeable weak delivery as stated by several draft analysts watching him at the combine. Great wr pics, and kicker looks solid. My thinking on JK was bring him in and see who wins starting job as it not like Singletary is firmly entrenched for years as the starter. That way we have two equally solid 3 down backs should injury occur.   I am nitpicking cuz as Beane admitted, luckily it worked out.  But Beane was not showing restraint as he tried to trade up and then maybe we don’t get Fromm, a kicker or secoond wr this in the draft as he was offering a 6 th or 7 th pic as he vaguely admitted too. Maybe this will be a lesson learned for a young gm  He admitted rb was a glaring need and they got lucky with moss, but also might have gotten greedy with espensa as that was not as pressing a need but Beane felt the value was too high to pass. 

just some thoughts based on my liking of jk and Beanes candor in post draft interviews.  Hey espensa and moss are Bills and i hope both are hugely successful. We have a lot,of work to do to catch the chiefs and ravens if we want to contend for the Conference. We still have not won a playoff game in 24 years so all the rose glasses are lost on me till we actually get home playoff games and advance !  I hope it Happens in my lifetime as I am 62 now and being in medicine, this corona virus admittedly has me pretty skittish!??. Best wishes. 

Thing is, Singletary is the man.  They found a steal in the 3rd last year with Motor.

I won't disagree about Dobbins being rated higher than Moss, however, would you rather have:

1. Motor/Dobbins/3rd round Def end....please go check out what remaining LEFT END options were there after Epenesa.  I'll save you time. HUGE drop off

2. Motor/Moss/Epenesa.  

Dobbins might be a better player than Moss, but for the "value" option 2 all day every day.  Epenesa is going to be a real solid player for years to come.  

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beane has never been a "BPA" drafter. It's more accurate to say he's a BVA (Best Value Available) drafter. He literally said they had a higher rated player on the board at one point and took someone else. It's not drafting based on need, but in Beane's words again, "No sense in drafting a guy who can't make the roster". If you're loaded at a position, it doesn't make sense to take another guy at that position.

Edited by jeremy2020

14 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Does he have a chance to make the team and contribute?

He’s a super tough kid.  I don’t ever remember yelling at the TV because of him lol.  I think he’ll compete for the nickel spot.  Most likely he’ll be a PS squad guy his first year.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s a super tough kid.  I don’t ever remember yelling at the TV because of him lol.  I think he’ll compete for the nickel spot.  Most likely he’ll be a PS squad guy his first year.  

With Taron Johnson’s playing style we need depth behind him. He throws his whole body into every play