Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

9 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Ernest T ? Andy Griffith Show? ?

Damn it, got it wrong... it’s been a lot of years since then, ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:25 PM, Charles Romes said:

Seems way too short at 5’10 to be a power kicker.  Not sure that flash speed will last.  The true power kickers are all tall.  Hauscka 6’4”, Jako 6’2”, Tucker 6’1”, Hopkins 6’2”, Folk 6’1.  Our Bass is about the size of the guy that bobbled it to Mike Bass.  

I'm not sure what you are even implying....that his leg will magically weaken when he signs an NFL contract because he's not tall enough?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not sure what you are even implying....that his leg will magically weaken when he signs an NFL contract because he's not tall enough?

There is a difference between flash speed which may last 1-5 years and true power.  The true power kickers - those that have done in over the long term - are all tall.  Can you find a kicker 5’10 or smaller who routinely kicks it out of the endzone and makes 50 yarders?  

13 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

There is a difference between flash speed which may last 1-5 years and true power.  The true power kickers - those that have done in over the long term - are all tall.  Can you find a kicker 5’10 or smaller who routinely kicks it out of the endzone and makes 50 yarders?  

Olindo Mare, Del Greco, Matt Bahr, Blair Walsh, Jim Bakken, Phil Dawson, Mark Moseley, Matt Bryant... Jason Hanson misses the cut off by 1 inch... at 6’0”

• Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I want to win today.  Five years from now I may be dead.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Olindo Mare, Del Greco, Matt Bahr, Blair Walsh, Jim Bakken, Phil Dawson, Mark Moseley, Matt Bryant... Jason Hanson misses the cut off by 1 inch... at 6’0”

Martin and Bill Gramatica...

23 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Well, I do know the hardest shot ever recorded (and nobody is even close) in soccer comes from a guy that stands exactly 5’10. Ronny Heberson. Look it up.

The longest FG in NFL history? 64 yards by 5’10” Matt Prater. Don’t care if it was in Denver. Plenty of kickers have kicked in that stadium and he holds the record.

And that flash speed theory....not sure I’m buying it will be gone in 1 to 5 years. These guys are at the top of their profession for a reason. 

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:25 PM, Charles Romes said:

Seems way too short at 5’10 to be a power kicker.  Not sure that flash speed will last.  The true power kickers are all tall.  Hauscka 6’4”, Jako 6’2”, Tucker 6’1”, Hopkins 6’2”, Folk 6’1.  Our Bass is about the size of the guy that bobbled it to Mike Bass.  

What the hell is “flash speed?”

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, StHustle said:

It's such a mental job. You never know how these guys will handle the NFL stage especially  when the game is on the line. And even vets like Hauschka have mental slumps so yeah...the bad feeling I have is probably cause I trust no unproven kicker.

The mental aspect is another reason why often times the best place-kickers aren't the guys drafted high (relative to a place kicker.) Justin Tucker is the best kicker in the league and he was undrafted. Many of the other top kickers in the league are undrafted. Yes some top kickers are mid round or higher picks (Gostkowski was a 4th round pick) but it is such a crap shoot. Typically I don't mind a team taking a chance on a kicker in round 6 or 7 like the Bills did and Haush is a decent proven veteran option. 

On 5/25/2020 at 8:36 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but you're missing the point. Tanney didn't have NFL talent, he made those trickshot videos to get noticed.. 

Bass by all accounts was the number one kicker in the draft or two

If Bass' big leg equates to NFL talent in spite of the 71.4% FG percentage he put up during his senior season, then so does Tanney's ball placement accuracy; Tanney is signed with an NFL team, after all.  

We have to wait and see if  Bass' kicking talent carries over to live games, better than Tanney's throwing talent did.

9 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

If Bass' big leg equates to NFL talent in spite of the 71.4% FG percentage he put up during his senior season, then so does Tanney's ball placement accuracy; Tanney is signed with an NFL team, after all.  

We have to wait and see if  Bass' kicking talent carries over to live games, better than Tanney's throwing talent did.

I would reckon that almost every D1 quarterback that is draft eligible could do those things Tanney did.

The same is not true for Kickers. Tanney certainly has worked hard but is like a #3 at best

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would reckon that almost every D1 quarterback could do what Tanney did

The same is not true for Kickers. Tanney does not have some legendary accuracy

Well, what exactly did Bass do, if you're going to make that comment about Tanney and D1 QB's? 

I wasn't suggesting that Tanney has legendary accuracy, if he did he'd probably be a starter in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Well, what exactly did Bass do, if you're going to make that comment about Tanney and D1 QB's? 

I wasn't suggesting that Tanney has legendary accuracy, if he did he'd probably be a starter in the NFL.

He made a 60-yard field goal off of one step. And no step 50

Sure it doesn't mean he's going to be a Hall of Fame kicker. But it means he has a good leg

heck UBs been struggling for years to get a kicker to even kick an extra point, let alone a 60 yarder

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He made a 60-yard field goal off of one step. And no step 50

Sure it doesn't mean he's going to be a Hall of Fame kicker. But it means he has a good leg

heck UBs been struggling for years to get a kicker to even kick an extra point, let alone a 60 yarder

Did he do this in-game or in the video?

We could have a very good thing in Bass and I hope we do, but you can't ignore his senior season FG%, as though accuracy and power don't go hand in hand in making a great kicker. 

8 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Did he do this in-game or in the video?

We could have a very good thing in Bass and I hope we do, but you can't ignore his senior season FG%, as though accuracy and power don't go hand in hand in making a great kicker. 

I believe he's only missed one extra point in his career.

And some of his misses were blocks where his line was atrocious and let people run by them

He was the number one or two kicker on every single pundits board

It's not like he was a reach and was out of nowhere

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe he's only missed one extra point in his career.

And some of his misses were blocks where his line was atrocious and let people run by them

He was the number one or two kicker on every single pundits board

It's not like he was a reach and was out of nowhere

Cool, cool. I'll end this here by saying, I'll be rooting for Bass all the way. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

@BringBackFergy uses flash speed in his WR review work.  It's only one small piece of his total package, but hopefully he can explain flash speed for us.

I grade my WR’s on three criteria: Arm swap length, Cranking voltage and Flash speed. The “flash speed” trait measures the player’s ability to stop and go through heavy traffic while maintaining good eye control and brain acuity. Hope this helps. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I grade my WR’s on three criteria: Arm swap length, Cranking voltage and Flash speed. The “flash speed” trait measures the player’s ability to stop and go through heavy traffic while maintaining good eye control and brain acuity. Hope this helps. 

Whats your success rate in scouting WRs using these criteria?  How does Davis rate?