Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

Interesting - Bass said he met with Bills mental health doctor/sports psychologist as part of pre-draft process. Part of understanding how he prepares, etc. 

mental >> physical for kickers sometimes. I think Hauschka displays this 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

From the announcers’ reaction, that seemed like winning the super bowl, not the raycon media bowl. 

Thanks  for clearing that up. All I was hearing was crayon meal  bowl. 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, McBean said:

If we can draft a kicker in the 5th, we sure as heck need to be drafting a punter in the 1st because we haven’t had a good one since Moorman.

They signed a free agent punter and could still bring in an undrafted guy or veteran at any time.

57 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm very happy we drafted a kicker, but I think the point should have been to get someone with a big leg. This guy has a long of 50 yards and is less than 80% on all field goals. I don't get it.

the reason you don’t get it is because you never heard of him an hour ago, the extent of your knowledge is his stats page, and because the people who drafted him do this for a living and probably know way more than you

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jamie Nails said:

5th round kicker means he’s good, right!? 

No it means you cannot recognize difference between 5th and 6th.

I guess front office want money to rest leg in camp like Flutie was told in game before playoffs.  Nothing to worry about.

15 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

God I hope this means Haushka is gone, it is embarrassing not having a kicker that can hit 50 yards. Bass can at least give us a chance from 50 yards out.

before Hauschka we didn’t have a kicker who could hit from 50 plus for like 12 years. But yes he’s probably done now. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

before Hauschka we didn’t have a kicker who could hit from 50 plus for like 12 years. But yes he’s probably done now. 

Uhhh....Dan Carpenter was 10/15 from 50+ when he was here.

Hauschka is 5/12 from 50+ in 2 years here.

Edited by Bangarang

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

With the struggles with kickers all around the league, perhaps someone will trade for Hauschka?

We have seen highly touted college kickers never get their game right at the next level. Hausa is ready to be sent out to pasture but I won’t be excited about Bass until he comes in and wins the job. 

I think clearing out his competition would be foolish and we might be the team trying to swoon Mike Nugent come December. Please no. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

F Gary Anderson. He resented being drafted by the Bills and played himself off the team on purpose. Too bad we didn’t interview him beforehand instead of wasting a 7th round pick in a 12 round draft. 

I'm not sure why, but that still bothers me. What a complete tool.

20 minutes ago, peterpan said:

We needed a Kicker.  I always wondered why kickers don't try to punt too.  You'd think it would translate.  Safe a roster spot

I agree to some extent. I think it would be smart for kickers to be complete (kick, punt, kickoff). But that can present a bit of a problem for some teams. Injury is probably the biggest one. If he gets hurt in a game, you lose both P and K. And these days, most holders are the punters. This allows them to practice together with the LS and not interfere with the backup QB or WR who should be practicing with the offense.  Then then there are the two different shoes they need (though I think this is rather minor).

Just now, CommonCents said:

We have seen highly touted college kickers never get their game right at the next level. Hausa is ready to be sent out to pasture but I won’t be excited about Bass until he comes in and wins the job. 

I think clearing out his competition would be foolish and we might be the team trying to swoon Mike Nugent come December. Please no. 

Of course. He has no position on the Bills yet, if he can't beat the House.  That is, if there is some preseason this year.

23 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

God I hope this means Haushka is gone, it is embarrassing not having a kicker that can hit 50 yards. Bass can at least give us a chance from 50 yards out.

I'm almost positive Haushka has the NFL record for consecutive 50+ yard field goals made

• Like (+1) 1