Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this guy. Not sure what it is...just pure gut feeling that he isnt gonna be very good.

Hoping for the best, but I'd be lying if I said videos like these don't bring Alex Tanney to mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, matter2003 said:

IMO leg strength is not the most useful characteristic for a kicker.  I have always had a booming leg going back to my youth soccer playing days.  I have literally knocked bolts out of goal posts from my shot hitting the goal frame and dislocated a few kids fingers playing goalie growing up from them attempting to make saves on my shots. In my first practice on the soccer team in 6th grade the coach literally stopped practice after she saw a shot to try and find out who kicked the ball because it was a laser from about 30 yards out into the top corner of the goal (she was working with some other people on the team about something and looked up and saw it going in the net). The player was me.  So my leg has always been exceptionally strong from a kicking perspective.

I started playing rec football on a few flag and touch leagues as a kicker and spent considerable time working on technique. Leg strength will only get you so far as a kicker.  I have hit 55 yard FG's and probably could hit from 60 based on leg strength.  But I no longer have the leg "whip" speed due to heavy weight training and squats, etc.  

And that is actually what is needed more as a kicker than pure leg strength.  How fast you can whip your leg will determine how far the ball goes far more than pure leg strength in most cases.  Now ideally you want both, but if I had to choose one it would be speed of the leg whipping forward as you strike the ball as most important in determining how far the ball will go and not what most people would consider leg strength.

An analogy would be club head speed  in golf when teeing off, the faster speed equals a longer drive. 

On 4/27/2020 at 10:40 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Any relation to Ronnie Bass (Sunshine)?

Or Emit T Bass?

On 5/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, StHustle said:

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this guy. Not sure what it is...just pure gut feeling that he isnt gonna be very good.

It's certainly a possibility. He also could be the best kicker of all time. Seriously, anyone's "feelings" (with no further explanation) are fairly worthless now.  

It will depend on how he does on the big stage, with players from the opposing team charging in on him. I'll choose to remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Hoping for the best, but I'd be lying if I said videos like these don't bring Alex Tanney to mind.

Alex Tanney was a quarterback, throwing footballs through goal posts and buckets

Not practical

Bass is a kicker who is kicking 50 60 yard field goals with different circumstances.. there is no parallel 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Alex Tanney was a quarterback, throwing footballs through goal posts and buckets

Not practical

Bass is a kicker who is kicking 50 60 yard field goals with different circumstances.. there is no parallel 

Do any of those circumstances include Bass making 50 and 60-yard field goals while under duress from charging, NFL defenders?

If not, I think these videos aren't much different from Tanney's trick shot videos: a demonstration of ability and what could be. 

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Do any of those circumstances include Bass making 50 and 60-yard field goals while under duress from charging, NFL defenders?

If not, I think these videos aren't much different from Tanney's trick shot videos: a demonstration of ability and what could be. 

The difference is quarterbacks don't practice like Alex Tanney

Kickers do practice like Bass

They don't always have a live Rush. They kick field goals from different hash marks and lengths and positions

Alex Tanney needed every gimmick to get a chance in the NFL and no quarterbacks ever train like that

Edited by Buffalo716

On 5/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, Warcodered said:

Reid Ferguson is also tagged in it too so I guess he's there snapping it.

Bojorquez calling his agent.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, Doc said:

Interesting that he and Vedvik got together.  Where's Bojo?

Vedvik is a sleeper great signing. Everyone tried making him the next Justin Tucker because of his big leg. Bills want him to focus on punting. Hopefully it pays off.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, StHustle said:

I have a bad feeling about all field goal kickers. I don't like when we get a new one because you never know.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The difference is quarterbacks don't practice like Alex Tanney

Kickers do practice like Bass

They don't always have a live Rush. They kick field goals from different hash marks and lengths and positions

Alex Tanney needed every gimmick to get a chance in the NFL and no quarterbacks ever train like that

Do you really know how Tanney practices?

Tanney's trick shot videos were a display of accurate, ball placement; I'm guessing that came from working on form and what not, the same way that other NFL QB's do.

I think Bass' video is a similar display of precision developed through repetition. 

How that translates in a real game, we have to wait and see. 

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Do you really know how Tanney practices?

Tanney's trick shot videos were a display of accurate, ball placement; I'm guessing that came from working on form and what not, the same way that other NFL QB's do.

I think Bass' video is a similar display of precision developed through repetition. 

How that translates in a real game, we have to wait and see. 

Yeah but you're missing the point. Tanney didn't have NFL talent, he made those trickshot videos to get noticed.. 

Bass by all accounts was the number one kicker in the draft or two

Edited by Buffalo716

Seems way too short at 5’10 to be a power kicker.  Not sure that flash speed will last.  The true power kickers are all tall.  Hauscka 6’4”, Jako 6’2”, Tucker 6’1”, Hopkins 6’2”, Folk 6’1.  Our Bass is about the size of the guy that bobbled it to Mike Bass.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a bad feeling about all field goal kickers. I don't like when we get a new one because you never know.

It's such a mental job. You never know how these guys will handle the NFL stage especially  when the game is on the line. And even vets like Hauschka have mental slumps so yeah...the bad feeling I have is probably cause I trust no unproven kicker.

• Like (+1) 1