Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

Watching that clip, it put in focus that working out at the Combine probably cost Epenesa, Moss and Fromm a round each. 

Edit: not Bass' clip but the one with the guys talking.

Edited by Doc

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The scouting reports made it seem like he didn't have a strong leg, perhaps in these videos the trajectory is low and they'd be blocked easy? 

When we picked him Kiper said on the broadcast that he's got a "big leg" and "he can hit it from 55 or 60 [yards] with no problem"

Edited by gobills404

From what I’ve read/looked at he appears to have a monster leg, just needs coaching up on accuracy and using appropriate power rather than trying to destroy the ball every kick.  He sometimes seems to swing way too hard and pushes the ball left...similar to when I try to smash a drive off the tee and send it OB.  If my penalty shot/mulligan is nice and easy it usually goes for 250+, haha. 

Having Hauska probably makes it difficult to sign the top kicker.  They are inna position they need to take one.  Ironcially, seems like the guys theu drafted over the years have landed full time jobs.

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The scouting reports made it seem like he didn't have a strong leg, perhaps in these videos the trajectory is low and they'd be blocked easy? 

I think there may have been an element of laziness on the part of some of the scouting here. That is, the common theme I kept hearing is that he made only a single 50+ yard kick in his college career. That has nothing to do with leg strength. Accuracy, maybe -- but just as likely this was a product of a conservative coaching staff being unwilling to attempt long field goals.

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Watching that clip, it put in focus that working out at the Combine probably cost Epenesa, Moss and Fromm a round each. 

Edit: not Bass' clip but the one with the guys talking.

I was thinking that too.  That Beane got some value from players that looked to have been severely downgraded due to one bad day.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, 947 said:

That video is a year & a half old too, his leg may be even stronger now.

IMO leg strength is not the most useful characteristic for a kicker.  I have always had a booming leg going back to my youth soccer playing days.  I have literally knocked bolts out of goal posts from my shot hitting the goal frame and dislocated a few kids fingers playing goalie growing up from them attempting to make saves on my shots. In my first practice on the soccer team in 6th grade the coach literally stopped practice after she saw a shot to try and find out who kicked the ball because it was a laser from about 30 yards out into the top corner of the goal (she was working with some other people on the team about something and looked up and saw it going in the net). The player was me.  So my leg has always been exceptionally strong from a kicking perspective.

I started playing rec football on a few flag and touch leagues as a kicker and spent considerable time working on technique. Leg strength will only get you so far as a kicker.  I have hit 55 yard FG's and probably could hit from 60 based on leg strength.  But I no longer have the leg "whip" speed due to heavy weight training and squats, etc.  

And that is actually what is needed more as a kicker than pure leg strength.  How fast you can whip your leg will determine how far the ball goes far more than pure leg strength in most cases.  Now ideally you want both, but if I had to choose one it would be speed of the leg whipping forward as you strike the ball as most important in determining how far the ball will go and not what most people would consider leg strength.

Edited by matter2003