Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

In a Draft where the Bills addressed all of the areas needing to add depth (CB might be a little lacking b/c they used a 7th Rounder), taking a K in the 6th Round feels like the right decision. If - and that's a huge IF - the Bills really believed he was the best Kicker in the Draft, then I have no concerns with Beane making this pick. Many others have said it, but 6th Round picks don't often make an impact and / or need year(s) to grow into the position so if this makes the team better, no offense Hasuch-money, then Beane has done his job. Let's also remember, how many times does a really good Kicker earn ALLLLLLLL that swagger in ONE kick, time expires - down by 2, and you need a 52 yarder to win the game. Then, everyone is willing to give the Kicker whateeeeeever he wants to make it. All the more when it's post-season. I have NO clue about this guy or if he'll do well, but I trust Beane. Full stop.

So I initially hated this pick - felt that we could have gotten more competition somewhere - filled more backup roles, more depth. I will be honest and say I did not watch the kid kick, because .... well he's a kicker. I just watched a few - my goodness does he have power. If he can improve his accuracy behind the 50 yd line it'll be worth the selection.  

I don't know what to think of this kid. He has had an inconsistent career in terms of %, has not made anything 50+ since 2018. I was hoping PFR would give an easy breakdown of attempts/converted by distance, but they don't... 

But then you see stuff like the below, and think, "OK he can do this". Granted he is only kicking against air. 

Edited by Mango

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Was anyone else surprised that Hauschka will be 35 years old this year?  Usually that isn't a huge deal for kicker, but he already had a really weak leg.

Hoping Bass can show accuracy this offseason.

I guess he has a strong leg but he doesn't like to really boom his FGs for whatever reason.  

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Was anyone else surprised that Hauschka will be 35 years old this year?  Usually that isn't a huge deal for kicker, but he already had a really weak leg.

Hoping Bass can show accuracy this offseason.

Yeah, hoping Bass has a really good offseason too, hopefully it will be an easy decision to keep him.

I’m worried it’s going to be a Jake Elliott situation when Cincy drafted him. He didn’t win the job from Randy Bullock after getting drafted in the fifth round and then Philly grabbed him from Cincy’s practice squad and he’s been a great kicker for them.

Same goes for Carolina losing Harrison Butker who didn’t beat out Graham Gano.

Edited by CapeBreton

The only concern I have is, one of the reasons given why management favored Hauschka is his low trajectory cutting through the wind. People have commented on Bass' high trajectory rainmaker kicks, which may be more subject to wind effect. If he can control trajectory it's no problem since he's got power to spare, and let's face it, Hauschka's leg has not had NFL pop since the Hairy Aperson cheapshot.

17 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The only concern I have is, one of the reasons given why management favored Hauschka is his low trajectory cutting through the wind. People have commented on Bass' high trajectory rainmaker kicks, which may be more subject to wind effect. If he can control trajectory it's no problem since he's got power to spare, and let's face it, Hauschka's leg has not had NFL pop since the Hairy Aperson cheapshot.

The 58 yarder from Sr Bowl practices that hit halway up the uprights had a really low trajectory, and that was vs a defense. I think he can adjust for the wind.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I don't know what to think of this kid. He has had an inconsistent career in terms of %, has not made anything 50+ since 2018. I was hoping PFR would give an easy breakdown of attempts/converted by distance, but they don't... 

But then you see stuff like the below, and think, "OK he can do this". Granted he is only kicking against air. 

College kicking is much more challenging with their significantly wider hash marks. I feel like there are more grass fields too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

College kicking is much more challenging with their significantly wider hash marks. I feel like there are more grass fields too. 

Good points!

1 hour ago, 947 said:

The 58 yarder from Sr Bowl practices that hit halway up the uprights had a really low trajectory, and that was vs a defense. I think he can adjust for the wind.

I really hope you're right but I have no doubt he makes the team because nearly 80% of his KO's were touchbacks.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

It only gets harder the closer to the uprights you get

And besides coaches aren't dumb they see their kickers everyday in practice, they try and get them on the hash they like

If a kicker struggles from the far left hash , they don't run off tackle left on 3rd down, they will try and get the kicker to his comfortable hash

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It only gets harder the closer to the uprights you get

And besides coaches aren't dumb they see their kickers everyday in practice, they try and get them on the hash they like

If a kicker struggles from the far left hash , they don't run off tackle left on 3rd down, they will try and get the kicker to his comfortable hash

I don't agree one bit with its only harder the closer you are to the uprights.  The angle at which you kick will matter at all distances.  Just think of the Pythagorean Theorem.  The longer the one side is, the longer the hypotenuse is.  The amount of yards the ball has to actual travel in the air will be more in college, which allows for more to go wrong.  Kicking in college is a pain.

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't agree one bit with its only harder the closer you are to the uprights.  The angle at which you kick will matter at all distances.  Just think of the Pythagorean Theorem.  The longer the one side is, the longer the hypotenuse is.  The amount of yards the ball has to actual travel in the air will be more in college, which allows for more to go wrong.  Kicking in college is a pain.

The uprights are also further apart. NFL kicking is tougher

college coaches don't put their kickers in situations they can't handle for the most part

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

So I initially hated this pick - felt that we could have gotten more competition somewhere - filled more backup roles, more depth. I will be honest and say I did not watch the kid kick, because .... well he's a kicker. I just watched a few - my goodness does he have power. If he can improve his accuracy behind the 50 yd line it'll be worth the selection.  

I posted a few pages back on Sunday where Jim Nagy, the guy who runs the Senior Bowl, said something to the effect of this: NFL coaches would rather have guys with the monster leg and work on the accuracy. 

In their opinion you can teach accuracy, but the booming leg is something a guy has or doesn't. His NFL.com scouting report also mentions he has a "repeatable process" to his kicks which is something working in his favor.

Should Bass not work out, I could see the Bills also circling back on Chase McLaughlin. Seems the Colts have a 3-way battle between Vinatieri, McLaughlin and Goggles McGee from Georgia 

6 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Rather than driving it, I felt Hauschka lofted a bunch of them this year causing them to drift on him. I think if we had been awarded McLaughlin mid year he was in serious trouble. I think this kid has a shot. That’s all you can really ask for.