Rd 6, Pick 188 (from Browns): K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

People who keep quoting the 50 yard career long as a negative clearly haven't watched any of his highlights (many of which other have kindly posted in this thread, cheers guys!). Most of the field goals he made looked to be in the 40-45 yard range and could have easily cleared the bar from 50-55 yards out. Joe Marino also posted his Senior Bowl kick where he hits the left post halfway up from 58 yards out. It's also noticeable how much of a rainbow effect his kicks have, I'd say they'll be very difficult to block.

Sky isn't falling is my point, looks like we got a good one. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Perhaps, but this point not all the draftees are guaranteed to make the roster anyways so taking a chance becomes easier.

I hear ya and agree wholeheartedly. But I’d also say that holds true for every position but kicker/punter. Drafted kickers are expected to compete for and win the job. 

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

mans who are the dummies that say he can’t hit over 50 yards? Please.  The guy could be the next Justin Tucker. Let’s face it, no one here has a clue. The only bad thing about kickers is that teams are forced to give up on them too soon.  You often see kickers stick when they are on their 2nd or 3rd team.

I agree.  There's always going to be a vet out there who can nail anything under 40 yards, and if a rookie struggles, it's tempting to cut him.  No coach wants to lose a game because a rookie missed a kick.

Hopefully his growing pains are minimal.

3 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

i know it is too early for a Knick name but it has to SeaBass

Or Bass Master

1 minute ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Or Bass Master

Or Bass and Kickies

Bass Bass, Kickies kickies, bass bass and kickies

Edited by WorstTEever81

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

mans who are the dummies that say he can’t hit over 50 yards? Please.  The guy could be the next Justin Tucker. Let’s face it, no one here has a clue. The only bad thing about kickers is that teams are forced to give up on them too soon.  You often see kickers stick when they are on their 2nd or 3rd team.

And that was in full pads with an actual simulation snap and lead up.  Not like these YouTube kicker wannabes uploading the cherry picked clip of their 32nd attempt at a "70 yard field goal" in shorts from a tee with a 10 yard run up.

4 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

People who keep quoting the 50 yard career long as a negative clearly haven't watched any of his highlights (many of which other have kindly posted in this thread, cheers guys!). Most of the field goals he made looked to be in the 40-45 yard range and could have easily cleared the bar from 50-55 yards out. Joe Marino also posted his Senior Bowl kick where he hits the left post halfway up from 58 yards out. It's also noticeable how much of a rainbow effect his kicks have, I'd say they'll be very difficult to block.

Bass’ kicking caught the eye of Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy, who invited him to play in the annual showcase in Mobile, Alabama and caught the attention of NFL scouts in attendance. He shined in practices, booting a 55-yarder that would have been good from 60 yards-plus. In the game, he kicked field goals of 41 and 50 yards and was 4-of-4 on extra points.

“The dude has a crazy leg. So I think he’ll be the first kicker drafted this year,” Nagy told The State. “My time in the NFL, the special teams coaches I worked with, they want the leg. They feel like they can hone a guy’s technique and get him more accurate. But their thing is, it’s hard for us to make a stronger leg. Tyler can absolutely boom the football. That’s why we brought him in. He really showed up well out here.”

From Bass' hometown newspaper. https://www.thestate.com/sports/nfl/article242168846.html

Edited by JM57
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

It's also noticeable how much of a rainbow effect his kicks have, I'd say they'll be very difficult to block.

I hope you're right (on Draft Day I want to drink the Kool-Aid) but I worry about rainbow kickers at New Era.  Bills kickers have to blast line drives to cut through the wind.  Arcing kicks allow for more play from the wind.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Yes. And Bass was a lot better at the Senior Bowl apparently and had a much stronger leg

It wasn’t even close. I watched in person at the practices. Blankenship stayed in his comfort zone 30-35 yards. Bass was kicking 45-50... in my notes I think he made 6 straight FGs, 6 of 6 in 11 on 11, starting at like 30 yards gradually get further away. The last being like 53 yards that would have been good from 63!!!

• Like (+1) 1

To those getting upset at the team’s 5th and 6th round picks

A- You clearly don’t follow the team very closely as Beane has said it would be hard for late round guys to crack the roster

B- You also likely severely overrate Matt Barkley and Hauschka. Barkley has had one good game, against a very bad team, in his entire NFL career. Hauschka has been anything but money lately. 

C- Fromm is at worst a developmental QB, and at best if Allen hasn’t turned the corner by year 5, then we have a young insurance policy in Fromm who will have a few years in the system and time to grow as a QB by that point.

D- Holy *****, watch Bass’ highlights above. Hausch about ya’ll trust the process...

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm very happy we drafted a kicker, but I think the point should have been to get someone with a big leg. This guy has a long of 50 yards and is less than 80% on all field goals. I don't get it.

How many kickers have you scouted compared to Beane and his scouting department?  Beane knows where his team plays.  I would bet Bass has a big kicking leg.

32 minutes ago, Process said:

A long of only 50 yards? Hm.

Did he miss many over 50 or did he not have many/any opportunities?  Makes a difference, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1