Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

58 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't need to look at highlights, as I happen to see a lot of Bulldog football down here. I'm not saying he cannot throw a deep ball, but he has limited arm strength. And while I'm not totally enamored with the "underwear Olympics", his performance there sort of exposed that. 

With that said, I think that was a particularly bad day for him. But the guy does not have a cannon for an arm. Like some others have mentioned, maybe he becomes a Fitz or a Reich

He reminds me more of Barkley.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Freezing cold takes

I’m curious about this tbh. If this rag arm thing was real, why was Fromm considered a day two pick last season? Why was Barkley considered a potential first rounder before going back to school another year?

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m curious about this tbh. If this rag arm thing was real, why was Fromm considered a day two pick last season? Why was Barkley considered a potential first rounder before going back to school another year?

He wasn’t a REAL day 1 or 2 pick. That was a case of the talking heads being way behind the scouts. There was a time that Matt Barkley was considered the number one overall pick. The same was true for Jevan Snead. That was never actually the case because they weren’t good enough. The talking heads are ALWAYS behind the football people. Earlier in the thread you were talking about Fromm as a prospect vs. Fields. That’s laughable. One is a LOCK as a top 5 pick and the other has a chance to be a decent backup. That has ALWAYS been the case. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sometimes it’s hard to se the arm on video if they don’t throw certain routes. Another factor that is ignored both ways is coaching and talent around you.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Funny that the Bills 5th round pick has the post with the most replies (30 pages). Just because he's a QB, I guess?

People are weird.

He is a QB and a pretty famous one. ESPN features like 8 stories at a time or whatever. Fromm being picked was one of them. There are a bunch of factors. If it was James Morgan it wouldn’t be this bad. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He is a QB and a pretty famous one. ESPN features like 8 stories at a time or whatever. Fromm being picked was one of them. There are a bunch of factors. If it was James Morgan it wouldn’t be this bad. 

I would have been happy with aJames Morgan pick.  

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Funny that the Bills 5th round pick has the post with the most replies (30 pages). Just because he's a QB, I guess?

People are weird.

Qb is on, and unexpected the other, and he was a national talking point

i get the idea in some ways..he does well as back up buffalo could trade him for a 2nd in two years.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would have been happy with aJames Morgan pick.  

Me too, he has more potential IMO. I get the Fromm pick though. He has a LOT of qualities that a team would want in a backup. He’s basically a McCown that’s 25 years younger and played at UGA instead of LA Tech. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Me too, he has more potential IMO. I get the Fromm pick though. He has a LOT of qualities that a team would want in a backup. He’s basically a McCown that’s 25 years younger and played at UGA instead of LA Tech. 

It’s possible I’m underestimating his arm strength, and it's merely appalling and embarrassing instead of disqualifying, but I doubt it. He's Barkley and Barkley shouldn't be our backup. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Qb is on, and unexpected the other, and he was a national talking point

i get the idea in some ways..he does well as back up buffalo could trade him for a 2nd in two years.

He's going to have to play well in regular season games to net a second

He was just a 5th rounder for a reason. It's gonna take a lot for a team to throw a high round pick at him

Watched his game against Auburn.  He’s clearly played in a ton of big games and has handled himself well, but I’m not sure I ever saw him actually step into a pass.  He throws off his back foot but doesn’t have a big arm.  The pedigree, intangibles, and importance of the position he plays make it worth a 5th rounder, but he’s gotta change his footwork to make it in the NFL.