Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

Fromm would immediately be the most talented QB on NE’s roster had they drafted him. Why they passed him up, I don’t know. I think he’s gonna be a decent QB. May need to sit a few years but he’s a smart guy with a decent arm. We’ll probably keep 3 QBs and Barkley will walk when his contract is up. Could see a situation where Fromm is dealt for picks later down the road but let’s be clear, he has no shot at beating out Allen. None.

38 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Fromm would immediately be the most talented QB on NE’s roster had they drafted him. Why they passed him up, I don’t know. I think he’s gonna be a decent QB. May need to sit a few years but he’s a smart guy with a decent arm. We’ll probably keep 3 QBs and Barkley will walk when his contract is up. Could see a situation where Fromm is dealt for picks later down the road but let’s be clear, he has no shot at beating out Allen. None.

Is there any doubt that the *patriots are going to be getting Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Jacoby Brissett, or someone similar? And drafting Fromm or any other dime-a-dozen mid/late round QB wouldn't have changed that.

20 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Is there any doubt that the *patriots are going to be getting Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Jacoby Brissett, or someone similar? And drafting Fromm or any other dime-a-dozen mid/late round QB wouldn't have changed that.

Yes.

I love the Bills taking a shot on Jake Fromm in the fifth round. At that point in the draft, most guys don’t wind up lasting very long in the league anyway, and it seemed to me that most evaluators believed the floor for Fromm would be as a Colt McCoy– or Chase Daniel–level backup, which isn’t bad value in the fifth round. And there’s a pretty cool backstory here too. Bills GM Brandon Beane was actually in Athens doing a school call the week after Fromm lost a home start for the first time in his career, and in practice that day his value to the program was on display. On one side of the practice field, head coach Kirby Smart was running the defensive session, with an offensive scout team on hand. On the other, Fromm was running the practice for the offense against the scout defense. That the coaches had trusted Fromm to be the one leading practice in that critical juncture in the season, and that Fromm saw it as a place he needed to step forward, spoke volumes to Beane. Add that to what Beane heard that day (that Fromm would be in the building watching tape until late in the night regularly) and what he saw as the season went on (Fromm fighting through with a beaten-up, undermanned skill-position group), and Beane was super impressed with a guy he had no thought of drafting, with Josh Allen on the team’s roster. But as Saturday wore on, Fromm’s name continued to separate from the pack on the team’s board, to the point where it was screaming at the Bills’ brass in the fifth round. Based on his grade alone, had quarterback been a need, Buffalo would’ve considered Fromm with at least a couple picks before getting to the one the Bills actually took him with. As it is? As it is, the Bills walk away with a really good backup quarterback prospect that could have trade value down the line.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/27/bengals-dolphins-chargers-packers-draft-quarterbacks

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I think they’re going with what they have. They have no salary cap space and seem to like whatever that guys name is

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

I think they’re going with what they have. They have no salary cap space and seem to like whatever that guys name is

I would be shocked. And so happy.

Which probably means there will be no 2020 season. 

Which obviously means Belichick is responsible for the Covid-19 outbreak.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, stuvian said:

of course Beane isn't going to start a QB controversy on his own team. There's 36 pages and counting of people rationalizing Fromm being back up when the argument could easily be made that he's already a more polished passer than Allen

He's definitely a more polished passer than Allen and i don't even think it's close. 

At this stage of the game Allen is the starter and its his position to lose. 

Based on Fromms history, if he gets a shot at the go ahead, you best believe he's going to make the best of it. 

Im just relieved we have a solid pick in the pipe line.  Im skeptical of Allen, that's no secret, but I feel much better knowing they got solid young talent right behind him. 

If Allen shows he's plateaued and this kid is looking good behind him, it will make the transition away from Allen that much easier. 

This kid is a great insurance policy, imo. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I have seen this list before but what we don’t know is the conditions the ball were thrown in and what determines the velocity. All I know is it only matters on game day.

Example: You can take two baseball pitchers where one may throw 90mph on a radar but when the batter steps in they no longer throw 90 and may clock 84. Then you take someone who throws 86 and they will still clock 86 in the game. Before game day the most would take the 90mph pitcher all day. 

different sport I know but I find it hard to believe LJ clocks 49 and is drafted in the 1st round if this list was legit. 

They throw willingly and knowingly.   

Its for velocity only.   They are tracked by both radar and in many instances, chip inside the ball as well. 

These numbers are accurate. 

Just because a qb can throw all out at 55 mph doesn't mean hes going to do it all the time. 

Different situations require different needs of velocity. 

Hardly ever is a Qb throwing max power. 

7 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

They throw willingly and knowingly.   

Its for velocity only.   They are tracked by both radar and in many instances, chip inside the ball as well. 

These numbers are accurate. 

Just because a qb can throw all out at 55 mph doesn't mean hes going to do it all the time. 

Different situations require different needs of velocity. 

Hardly ever is a Qb throwing max power. 

I understand that and that was the point I was trying to make with the analogy. Regardless, I have seen Fromm throw multiple times in a game and he is no where near some of the other QB’s on that list come game day. I could be wrong but he appeared to be over thinking things which would affect his passing. 

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I just watched a bunch of games with him over the past 3 days. I'm not impressed at all. I wish I was.

His arm literally has no strength.

This is what I encourage most of the posters here do. Anyone thinking Fromm is someone who is going to come in and unseat Allen or think he’s a long term NFL starter must not be looking at the same game tape. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

You can improve your arm strength a lot easier than you can improve Field vision, situational awareness, film study and timing. 

Fromm is a gamer and his whole life is football. Fromm definitely has some work to do but I could easily see him being the best QB from this draft in a few years.

• Like (+1) 2

Living here in the Garden State I got to see a lot of Chad Pennington, who was actually a first round draft choice (Ok, by the Jets, but still ...).  He had very limited athletic ability, an unimpressive arm, and maybe college stats inflated by playing with Randy Moss -- a big advantage in comparing him to Fromm.  But Pennington really knew how to play the game of football and the position of quarterback and he made his team win because he was so good from the neck up.  I keep thinking -- hoping? -- that's Fromm's story.

UGA fan here. I've been scanning NFL boards to read what everyone think about our guys. Figured Fromm would be a controversial one but damm, 39 pages..

Obviously he's a real cerebral guy, 35 on the Wonderlic. I'm not sure what your O-line looks like but if y'all give him time to operate he'll be effective. His biggest knock is not being able to go off script. He can't consistently make plays on the fly, just not that type of athlete. Arm strength actually isn't that huge of a concern. I'm a big college guy and I'll say arm strength is equal to Deshaun Watson. He'll make pre-snap reads better than anyone not named Joe Burrow and probably throws the best back shoulder throw in the draft. He excels throwing outside the hashes and NOT to the middle of the field, that's why he has low INT #'s. Won't have a problem getting to 2nd and 3rd reads in a pro offense. My comp was Kurt Warner for him.

The general consensus was he needed to go somewhere, preferably fair weather/indoor stadium, and commit to being a backup with the outside chance he'll land in the right system and could win some games with the right pieces around him. He'll pick up your playbook, fast. Both OC's during his tenure made comments on his ability there. There was an account from a high school all-star event where he actually corrected his OC on a route concept and the OC was wow'ed at Fromm's prep and that's essentially been his career at UGA. Won't be a distraction, good leader, team first dude that says all the right things and is always prepared. Just not an elite athlete.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3