Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

34 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he comes in a Colt McCoy/Chase Daniel type, but I see a Cousins-like ceiling.

Nice comp. That’s a nice ceiling for a fifth rounder. Hard to say that taking Cousins didn’t work out for the Skins, despite the lack of that team’s overall success.

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I am/was a huge Reich fan as a kid. Loved Kelly, but always thought Frank was maybe the greatest backup.

Fromm has a ton of qualities I think will make him an amazing backup. I also hope Jake and Josh have enough in common to become good friends. 

Totally agree with this. The QB duo should be set for at least the next five years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Fromm was a top 15 pick had he came out the year prior. With the exception of Swift he had zero in the way of tangible weapons at UGA. Great upside and can make all of the throws

Problem is ‘all the throws’ . For whatever reason Fromm hasn’t showed that yet. 

I wonder if his problem at the Combine, and possibly going forward, is his small hand size and the fact that the NFL ball is slightly larger than college?

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he comes in a Colt McCoy/Chase Daniel type, but I see a Cousins-like ceiling.

I see talk about him not having a strong arm but watching some of his highlights I see a ton of deep throws with a nice spiral and very accurate , obviously he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm like Allen but then again not many NFL starting QB’s do !!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

I see talk about him not having a strong arm but watching some of his highlights I see a ton of deep throws with a nice spiral and very accurate , obviously he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm like Allen but then again not many NFL starting QB’s do !!! 

Deep balls aren't really the indicator of NFL arm strength. The question is whether he can throw a 12 yard out fast enough to not get jumped for a pick 6. It's a valid question, and I believe he's on the fringe. There are many QB's who have gained arm strength after getting into the league. That's why I bump his ceiling up to a Cousins type. If he can gain that ball velocity he could be a gem.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Deep balls aren't really the indicator of NFL arm strength. The question is whether he can throw a 12 yard out fast enough to not get jumped for a pick 6. It's a valid question, and I believe he's on the fringe. There are many QB's who have gained arm strength after getting into the league. That's why I bump his ceiling up to a Cousins type. If he can gain that ball velocity he could be a gem.

Why even throw a 10-12 yard out?  Most of the time they're incomplete, often they're picked-off, and at best you're looking at a minimal gain.  That's what frustrated me about Peterman.  He'd keep throwing them just to gain a couple yards.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Why even throw a 10-12 yard out?  Most of the time they're incomplete, often they're picked-off, and at best you're looking at a minimal gain.  That's what frustrated me about Peterman.  He'd keep throwing them just to gain a couple yards.

It's a staple of the 2 minute offense to move the chains and stop the clock. It's also an area of the field that the Defense has to cover. If you were to remove it entirely your offense is easier to defend. The Peterman throws were mind boggling. IDK if he decided to throw them or if the OC called the plays, but he simply can't do it. I do not think that's true of Fromm, but I suppose we will see.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's a staple of the 2 minute offense to move the chains and stop the clock. It's also an area of the field that the Defense has to cover. If you were to remove it entirely your offense is easier to defend. The Peterman throws were mind boggling. IDK if he decided to throw them or if the OC called the plays, but he simply can't do it. I do not think that's true of Fromm, but I suppose we will see.

I rarely see it used, see it being defended more often than not, and think there are better and far less risky plays to accomplish the same goal.  I looked-up 2 minute drills on Youtube and none of them had a 10-yard out in them.

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

I rarely see it used, see it being defended more often than not, and think there are better and far less risky plays to accomplish the same goal.  I looked-up 2 minute drills on Youtube and none of them had a 10-yard out in them.

What is your arguement here? That nobody throws sideline out routes in the short to intermediate range??

Seems dumb! As has already been pointed out you would throw these plays in even just to insure the defense has to cover it. Playing games witbout ever having this in your arsenal would be seriously stupid. 

• Haha (+1) 1