Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It’s possible I’m underestimating his arm strength, and it's merely appalling and embarrassing instead of disqualifying, but I doubt it. He's Barkley and Barkley shouldn't be our backup. 

I think Fromm is a poor man’s Mason Rudolph, and I’m not sure he’s any better than Barkley. As a developmental backup qb, the issue is whether down the road he can get you to 2-2 as opposed to 1-3/0-4 when/if Allen goes down with a short term injury. No idea there. I think an OG plus an investment in. Case Keenum type would have been wiser.

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He wasn’t a REAL day 1 or 2 pick. That was a case of the talking heads being way behind the scouts. There was a time that Matt Barkley was considered the number one overall pick. The same was true for Jevan Snead. That was never actually the case because they weren’t good enough. The talking heads are ALWAYS behind the football people. Earlier in the thread you were talking about Fromm as a prospect vs. Fields. That’s laughable. One is a LOCK as a top 5 pick and the other has a chance to be a decent backup. That has ALWAYS been the case. 

I’m not much of a fan of Fields either. 

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Fromm is a poor man’s Mason Rudolph, and I’m not sure he’s any better than Barkley. As a developmental backup qb, the issue is whether down the road he can get you to 2-2 as opposed to 1-3/0-4 when/if Allen goes down with a short term injury. No idea there. I think an OG plus an investment in. Case Keenum type would have been wiser.

I think Mason Rudolph has an RPG compared to Fromm or Barkley.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He has elite talent though. At worst, he’s Justin Herbert a year from now. At best, he’s the elite talent that he’s always been and goes 1st. My personal opinion is that he’s somewhere in between. He will probably grade out somewhere between Burrow and Lawrence IMO. That’s where he likely sits now in terms of most evaluations. He will need to put together another good year to remain there but he has immense physical skills. 

On a side note the Lawrence/Fields rivalry has always been interesting. They will be linked from high school through their pro careers. It’s kind of crazy that these 2 “all-time” type of recruits grew up a few miles apart. https://apnews.com/bf862262f7378ceb4512378822fac6c1

Georgia fans seem worried he won’t be able to handle the “weather” in Buffalo.  I guess, according to them, he struggled in some of the tougher weather games UGA played in.  

Honestly, the weather stuff re: Buffalo is overblown.  

Do we get some tough weather games?... sure.  So does New England, NYJ/NYG, Philly, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cinci, Chicago, Green Bay, Seattle etc.. 

If you can’t handle the elements, you probably shouldn’t be an NFL QB.  

Sure, you could go to a southern team or domed stadium team, but what happens when you have to play @ Green Bay in the Playoffs?... just forfeit? Handoff all game?  Throw only screens?   

Let’s hope Fromm can play QB in weather that isn’t 70 and a mix of sun and clouds. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t even know where the weak arm thing is coming from honestly

i mean it’s not a cannon

His combine. 

Aparantly he had a weak combine day.   With Corona virus shutting down the country he was never able to rebound through private workouts. 

That made his draft capital sink.  NFL Clubs pick Qbs with tangibles over intangibles when their back is against the wall. 

This kid was predicted as a first rounder last summer and even talked about as 1 over all amongst his Qb class.  

Edited by TwistofFate

Here's the percentage of pass attempts by each top QB in the draft that came vs. top-50 defenses by SP+:

1. Jake Fromm, 77.92%

2. Tua Tagovailoa, 60.71%

3. Joe Burrow, 57.87%

4. Justin Herbert, 44.39%

5. Jacob Eason, 35.56%

6. Jordan Love, 30.02%

— Jim Sannes (@JimSannes) January 18, 2020 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

That is a very high praise.

I am/was a huge Reich fan as a kid. Loved Kelly, but always thought Frank was maybe the greatest backup.

Fromm has a ton of qualities I think will make him an amazing backup. I also hope Jake and Josh have enough in common to become good friends. Both are country boys. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975