Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Out of 8 home games at new era any given year, about 3 are in bad weather.  It’s an overrated factor, IMO

This. Sick of hearing about the weather. This past year was an odd year for home games and the passing game. Seemed like there was wind or elements in most of them. Even in Sept/Oct. I think it kept some of Josh’s numbers down a bit. 

Just now, Perry Turtle said:

The majority of QB busts in the NFL posted great college stats, and that includes a bunch of SEC QBs. 

Again, what is the alternative? Do you want me to be happy over a quarterback who has terrible stats?

I'm unsure what you're so unhappy about.

This was a great draft pick especially in the round that he was taken in.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Lol the first time this guy gets big reps in a preseason game and lights up some 2s with our WR depth is going to be fun. I’m excited to see what this kid can do but I fully realize he’s probably at best a backup. Never know, he could turn out to be a Case Keanum type. 

comparison that scouts have made is a future Colt McCoy. Good backup and borderline starter based on high IQ. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

This. Sick of hearing about the weather. This past year was an odd year for home games and the passing game. Seemed like there was wind or elements in most of them. Even in Sept/Oct. I think it kept some of Josh’s numbers down a bit. 

I’ll admit this past year made me want to play inside.  Was beyond sick of so many home games having insane wind being a pre-game story line. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tate is still going to be a star (don’t @ me) ??

I was pretty involved when that aired.  I had a couple interactions with Tate when he was in HS.  Sheeeeesh.  The documentaries portrayal of him was spot on from my experience (and others that know him).  I was really happy when he chose OSU (no offense but I hate that U) and laughed when he transferred to Miami and got beat out.  

seems like his sister is making money off the show though.  She’s doing her thing on Instagram. 

I loved Fromm on the show and rooted for Georgia because of him.  Big fan of the person, the leader and the pick. Low risk 5th rd pick with some upside 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Again, what is the alternative? Do you want me to be happy over a quarterback who has terrible stats?

I'm unsure what you're so unhappy about.

This was a great draft pick especially in the round that he was taken in.

A QB with a better skillset, for a start.  Somebody who has a higher floor than Barkley.  Maybe someone who mimics some of Allen's mobility, so that the offense does have to change things up too much if the backup has to play.

Fromm is too much like Barkley, without Barkley's experience.

• Haha (+1) 1

We see this often: Ownership tasks a GM to win, and win now. So the GM panics and signs free agents who don't deserve the blank checks and big jobs they're offered. Other times, we see these general managers back themselves into a corner by drafting an EJ Manuel or Ryan Tannehill in the first round because they have to get a quarterback.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844075-jake-fromm-is-the-perfect-qb-prospect-for-win-now-nfl-teams

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Fender said:

He had FIVE 1,000 yard rushers in his 3 year career. His stats look better than he played. They show him to be an elite college QB which wasn’t the case. He was a solid game manger that got his stud RB/OL into the right play. 

What about his WR talent? Isn't THAT the biggest point here, other than his arm strength?

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

comparison that scouts have made is a future Colt McCoy. Good backup and borderline starter based on high IQ. 

That's where I'm at with him. The Bills will find out soon enough if he arm is as ragged as some think.  IMO it is nowhere near as week as Chad Pennington's and not all that much weaker than Josh Rosen---and many here were very high on him as a FIRST round pick.  My guess is, he'll be fine as a system backup QB. And as some have suggested, maybe with some development, maybe even get to be a starter. But I woul'dnt be the house on that.

And what's the very worst case scenario? He sucks and gets cut. Happens to 5th rounders every year. No biggie, IMO, to take the BPA at this stage.

Alright, I am a UGA fan. So let me get that out of the way.

i told all my other UGA friends that Fromm wouldn’t get drafted before the third round. His arm just isn’t an NFL arm from what I have seen to this point. My friends told me I was nuts. Fast forward to today, it has gone from’ you were right’ to ‘Hahahaha, your Bills picked Fromm’.

Let me say this, I am holding out hope that the change of OC And lack of WR talent in 2919 has more to do with Fromm’s regression this past year than anything else.

you want to see Fromm at his best? Watch the SEC Championship game of 2018 against Alabama. 
Want to see Fromm at his worst? Watch SC and LSU this year. 

As it stands now Fromm projects as a Ryan Fitzpatrick type career. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

A QB with a better skillset, for a start.  Somebody who has a higher floor than Barkley.  Maybe someone who mimics some of Allen's mobility, so that the offense does have to change things up too much if the backup has to play.

Fromm is too much like Barkley, without Barkley's experience.

A better skill-set than incredibly accurate, incredibly smart, and an incredible winner in the toughest division in college.....um okay

I don't care about rocket arms and running.  I care about intelligence, accuracy, and processing of information.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is a requisite requirement for arm strength in a QB in the NFL that doesn't exist in college. He's Peterman. I hated Peterman from the start and said he doesn't even belong in the league because he simply cannot throw the ball to certain places on the field that get there quick enough. If he HAD even adequate arm strength he would have been picked in the top two rounds. Fromm I mean. 

Drew Brees says Hi

10 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

i have a feeling this pick could drive a wedge between fans in the next couple seasons...

If you look at my post history, I am not sold on Allen being worth a $30M+ contract. But he’s proven himself the starter until he either tanks or proves he’s worth that kind of money. 

Not really worried by it.