Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Except for not being physically capable of playing the position in the NFL?

Based on what? He played at a high level and is a 66% completion Pct passer. Let's let him compete before declaring him PUP in the NFL for Chrissake.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Over 63% career completion 

8.4 yards per attempt on career

156 career Qb rating

3 year starter

What's not to like? 

He had FIVE 1,000 yard rushers in his 3 year career. His stats look better than he played. They show him to be an elite college QB which wasn’t the case. He was a solid game manger that got his stud RB/OL into the right play. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Based on what? He played at a high level and is a 66% completion Pct passer. Let's let him compete before declaring him PUP in the NFL for Chrissake.

There is a requisite requirement for arm strength in a QB in the NFL that doesn't exist in college. He's Peterman. I hated Peterman from the start and said he doesn't even belong in the league because he simply cannot throw the ball to certain places on the field that get there quick enough. If he HAD even adequate arm strength he would have been picked in the top two rounds. Fromm I mean. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

5 minutes ago, Fender said:

He doesn’t have the arm to throw in that wind and he has really small hands. Asking him to play in those winters won’t work out well. 

Overall I love our draft. I’ve been a die hard Bills fan since 1990. I just can’t imagine how anyone thought he’d be a good fit. He’s Barkley 2.0. He’ll help Allen tho. He has a ridiculously high football IQ. At the elite 11 he correct his coach on a play the 2nd day of practice. He learned the playbook in one day. He’s not great with post snap reads but he’s really good pre snap. That should help Allen I think. 

Out of 8 home games at new era any given year, about 3 are in bad weather.  It’s an overrated factor, IMO

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is a requisite requirement for arm strength in a QB in the NFL that doesn't exist in college. He's Peterman. I hated Peterman from the start and said he doesn't even belong in the league because he simply cannot throw the ball to certain places on the field that get there quick enough. If he HAD even adequate arm strength he would have been picked in the top two rounds. 

From I mean. 

Well Beane thinks he has the requisite requirement. Accurate and a winner looks good to me.

I like this pick. Maybe he turns into a good backup for the Bills. 

And who knows, maybe he can offer Allen some help in his development.

Some of his strengths are things that Allen needs to improve at.

From @DJB‘s scouting report on Fromm’s strengths:

• Cerebral player with good football instincts. Outstanding leadership qualities and character

• Throws with good anticipation, touch and accuracy

• Operates through progressions well and keeps eyes downfield when facing pressure

• Plays with poise and confidence in pressure situations

• Has a firm solid base and calm footwork when in the pocket

• Rarely puts the ball in danger areas. 11 total INT in 3 seasons as a starting QB.

• Knows when to throw the ball away to avoid the sack. As evidenced by only 15 sacks taken in 2020

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Out of 8 home games at new era any given year, about 3 are in bad weather.  It’s an overrated factor, IMO

Even early in the year when NE came to town and Barkley had to finish the game the wind effected his passes and it wasn’t even that bad that day. We need QBs with good arms. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

I agree. This was the same debate over Burrow, but maybe to a lesser extent. He doesn’t have a super strong arm, but scouts are looking more for precision and intellect oftentimes. Good article on that here:

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-joe-burrow-average-arm-strength-not-concerning-scouts/

Some of the posts in this thread are priceless. We are talking about a developmental QB drafted in the fifth round to one day be a backup.  People are reacting like he is being drafted to be the franchise savior.  Drafting a developmental QB was a good move.  He has a winning pedigree and some decent skills, good intelligence.  Great backup potential down the road.  He will be number 3 this year if he sticks.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Except he can't make the throws when it's sunny and 80 with a gentle breeze. 

I think that is hyperbole.  He wasn’t exactly playing against a bunch of stiffs in college.  He played against teams stacked with NFL talent most weeks..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I agree. This was the same debate over Burrow, but maybe to a lesser extent. He doesn’t have a super strong arm, but scouts are looking more for precision and intellect oftentimes. Good article on that here:

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-joe-burrow-average-arm-strength-not-concerning-scouts/

The two in arm strength are completely different worlds. Burrow easily has enough arm strength. It's just not a cannon. From is a pop gun.