Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

1 minute ago, vincec said:

If Allen doesn't pan out then McDermott and Beane are most likely gone, IMO. This is one of those cases where there is no plan B, there is only plan A. And they need to do everything to make it work.

I highly disagree.  Playoff appearances during a rebuild, great drafting and signings, complete culture change...and you wanna dump them because one player doesn't pan out?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

I like the pick... more insurance just in case for Allen 

And if allen develops fully and fromm shows promise then we unload him for a 1st or a 2nd down the road. 

Beane and McDermott arent getting fired if Allen doesnt work out... 

Beane has created a top 5 roster and managed the cap beautifully 

McDermott 2 playoff appearances in 3 years without top talent on offense 

Both seats are ice cold regardless  of allen

Expectations are rising and just making the playoffs isn't going to be good for much longer. They need their QB to pan out.

Edited by vincec

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I do agree here and actually think Fromm can fill that role. I went with gross because I knew that we’d have some people talking about him being better than Josh!! Ha ha, he is a career backup and could fill that role. He lacks physical talent though. 

I see a lot of Fromm. I think he will have a long career (injuries excepted) as an NFL backup. Intelligent and accurate. Can read defenses. 

Rag arm for downfield passes. 

Now, in no way am I equating the two, but wan't Brady considered to have a bit of a rag arm when he was drafted? I know he had no deep ball then. Maybe he can teach Allen some things, and Allen can teach him a few. Not expecting him to be a mad bomber or anything. But you are right, Josh is WAY more talented.

Or maybe the Bills can get something for him down the line.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, vincec said:

Expectations are rising and just making the playoffs isn't going to be good for much longer. They need their QB to pay out.

Why would we fire the HC who has delivered 2 playoffs with subpar talent and a GM who finally shown good decision making and has shown an ability to draft well... just because they miss on one QB who was always viewed as a high risk -  high reward pick 

I get it if they have 3 straight terrible seasons but to act like they are going to be canned if Allen doesn't succeed is crazy to me 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I highly disagree.  Playoff appearances during a rebuild, great drafting and signings, complete culture change...and you wanna dump them because one player doesn't pan out?

Makes no sense. Add in Allen was never viewed as a cant miss prospect, everyone including the Bill's knew it was going to be a gamble but one worth taking 

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I love this pick.  Liked him since he started at Georgia.  I know he has arm strength issues, but he should the Frank to our Jim.  Great value and happy he's with us.

That's pretty much the analogy I've been using. Now, given this season's unique situation, he may not be able to be the #2 right out of the gate, this year.

The people who are complaining are the same ones who would complain if Josh got hurt and we had no backup plan in a playoff year.

Its a 5th round pick and he has lots of upside. There’s literally zero reason to dislike this pick.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

The people who are complaining are the same ones who would complain if Josh got hurt and we had no backup plan in a playoff year.

Its a 5th round pick and he has lots of upside. There’s literally zero reason to dislike this pick.

Except for not being physically capable of playing the position in the NFL?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Beane and McDermott arent getting fired if Allen doesnt work out... 

Beane has created a top 5 roster and managed the cap beautifully 

McDermott 2 playoff appearances in 3 years without top talent on offense 

Both seats are ice cold regardless  of allen

I would certainly hope so. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Except for not being physically capable of playing the position in the NFL?

He was physically capable of playing against the SEC and performing well. They said the same thing about Tom Brady and Chad Pennington. Chill out and just enjoy a solid draft.

13 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Gee, you should figure this out.   Think about baseball.

Any pitcher can rear back and throw 15 mph above his usual fastball speed.    Nobody knows where the ball is going to go.

Throwing just for the radar gun is different than getting the ball to the reciever or dropping it over the LB and into the basket of the WR. You can NO throw that at 100 miles an hour.    If you look at the videos of this guy, he completes a lot of long passes.

As a Georgia alum I can’t stress enough how big of a disaster he’d be as our QB at new era field. But hey, if he gets to make a road start in a dome he could play well enough to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone who has Netflix and wants a deep dive into Jake Fromm, Watch

QB1: Beyond the Lights (Season 1)

The show follows 3 high-senior QB's throughout their last year in HS.  1 of the QBs was a then 18 year old Jake Fromm.  I've been a huge fan if his since watching the show 3 years ago.  A real alpha, dude really impressed me.

I actually jumped off the couch in excitement when I saw the Bills picked him.  I think hes going to be a good NFL QB

3 minutes ago, Fender said:

As a Georgia alum I can’t stress enough how big of a disaster he’d be as our QB at new era field. But hey, if he gets to make a road start in a dome he could play well enough to win. 

I always respect and appreciate local knowledge on this board, but this seems like hyperbole.   

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Jake can be coached up to be a competent backup and manager. He's cool under pressure and has faced top competition and could have won a championship if things broke right. His arm strength is a problem especially in northeast stadiums with wind but he doesn't turn it over. If he can be insulated from having to win games with his arm ,I think he can guide us to wins.

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I always respect and appreciate local knowledge on this board, but this seems like hyperbole.   

He doesn’t have the arm to throw in that wind and he has really small hands. Asking him to play in those winters won’t work out well. 

Overall I love our draft. I’ve been a die hard Bills fan since 1990. I just can’t imagine how anyone thought he’d be a good fit. He’s Barkley 2.0. He’ll help Allen tho. He has a ridiculously high football IQ. At the elite 11 he correct his coach on a play the 2nd day of practice. He learned the playbook in one day. He’s not great with post snap reads but he’s really good pre snap. That should help Allen I think. 

• Like (+1) 1