Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

Really, at this point there's no guarantee that any pick makes this roster, so this strikes me as a perfectly sensible pick. There's only 2 QBs on the roster. I kind of like Barkley, but let's be honest: he was signed off the street, and if they let him go, there's another Matt Barkley out there waiting for the chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Yeah, I didn’t watch the combine. I do watch the SEC, however, and while he is clearly cerebral, he just doesn’t have an arm or other physical tools like most NFL QB’s. 

Just my opinion, I’m not attempting to get anyone’s panties in a wad. ? 

All good brother :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Alexa, play WGR 

drunk callers incoming

wow.  I chuckled and mumbled this to myself.

Suddenly, she woke up and started to play WGR.  And I have never asked her to play any radio station before.  Alexa >>>>> Siri

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There was no upside!! He couldn’t make NFL throws outside of the numbers. 

Again, you believed in Peterman but are skeptical on Allen. We just don’t look at QBs the same way I guess.

- I believe that Peterman is the worst QB to ever play.

- I believe that Josh Allen is a huge talent that has made big strides. He can do absolutely everything on the football field. IMO, he’s more likely to be a league MVP than he is to flameout. FWIW, I was not an Allen guy coming out. 

- I also believe it’s easier to learn the game and for it to slow down than to gain physical skills. We disagree there too. 

I don’t see any reason to continue talking about this (especially here).  If you have more that you want to add go ahead but I won’t respond so as to not totally derail this. Bottom line we disagree on QB traits. I think Fromm can and will be the Bills backup. He isn’t going to be a starter ever IMO (and that’s okay). Everyone can feel free to disagree but that’s how I feel.

I think arm strength is one of the most meaningless traits to judge a QB on as it can be improved while in the league or worked around. Countless high draft picks with  rocket arms that we've forgotten about. Your horse cost us the farm, so he better be right. Mine was a throwaway pick.

P.S. Where do Nate & I send our rent checks for taking up all this space in your head?

Edited by BullBuchanan

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh, yeah? Did Tom Brady not beat out Drew Bledsoe? I’m a big supporter of Josh Allen but Jake Fromm was of tremendous value in the 5th. He should have been a 2nd round pick. Reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton. He could absolutely develop into a quality QB and if Josh Allen takes a step backwards you’ll probably be hearing a lot from Fromm. I don’t think that’ll happen but the Peterman comparisons are lazy. Fromm is by far a better prospect. His arm is better and can make all the throws. Will he challenge Allen? Doubt it. Allen has way too good an arm and way too much God given ability as a runner to not be a starting QB in this league but Fromm is a quality prospect. Peterman comparisons piss me off.

Oh great, the Brady argument...

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Watch them play and don’t read stats. Allen is 2,000,000,000,000,000x better than Fromm. He has a rag arm. If you were a fan of what Peterman brought you’ll love Fromm!!

But is this even a comparison?  It seems to me that From was drafted as a #3 developmental backup.  Not a challenge to start at QB

I do think that Fromm is better and more established QB than Peterman too.  

7 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Some of you guys need to chill. You don’t start as a true freshman and then for three years at a major SEC program like Georgia and “suck”. 

True, I think people are forgetting about this...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Why?

Ha ha, keep flipping through. My main issue is the people that will be screaming for him. He’s strictly a backup. If everyone can agree with that we are cool. I was preparing for the “Brady was a 6th rounder” and “he’s better than Josh.” They’ve both come already. He’s not. He has a chance to be a decent backup. That was a need. It was good value for that.

An honest attempt to add depth behind Allen. 

Career stats indicate a lack of superior talent to compete at the NFL level due to lack of arm strength. All of Fromm’s strengths are Allen weaknesses (accuracy, conservative risk taker). Allen has superior athleticism, arm strength, running ability.

I love looking at stats from College in wins and losses. Fromm’s college stats are impressive. His performance in losses, indicate he’ll struggle against superior NFL talent. I see Nate Peterson 2.0 level talent, size nearly same height, weight, arm strength, but I think Fromm is a bit less of a risk taker & would function well as a backup and ability to come in and game manage the team to a few wins if necessary. 

BF672390-F24F-4791-B2B3-67967B2A7927.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

But is this even a comparison?  It seems to me that From was drafted as a #3 developmental backup.  Not a challenge to start at QB

I do think that Fromm is better and more established QB than Peterman too.  

True, I think people are forgetting about this...

That was a response to someone claiming that Fromm was better than Allen now

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh, yeah? Did Tom Brady not beat out Drew Bledsoe? I’m a big supporter of Josh Allen but Jake Fromm was of tremendous value in the 5th. He should have been a 2nd round pick. Reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton. He could absolutely develop into a quality QB and if Josh Allen takes a step backwards you’ll probably be hearing a lot from Fromm. I don’t think that’ll happen but the Peterman comparisons are lazy. Fromm is by far a better prospect. His arm is better and can make all the throws. Will he challenge Allen? Doubt it. Allen has way too good an arm and way too much God given ability as a runner to not be a starting QB in this league but Fromm is a quality prospect. Peterman comparisons piss me off.

Fromm has been successful and we'll see what he turns into, but I don't think he has Dalton's arm either.  I hope he turns into a nice trade chip though.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think arm strength is one of the most meaningless traits to judge a QB on as it can be improved while in the league or worked around. Countless high draft picks with  rocket arms that we've forgotten about. Your horse cost us the farm, so he better be right. Mine was a throwaway pick.

P.S. Where do Nate & I send our rent checks for taking up all this space in your head?

You have a gift for always ending up on the wrong side of arguments...

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, keep flipping through. My main issue is the people that will be screaming for him. He’s strictly a backup. If everyone can agree with that we are cool. I was preparing for the “Brady was a 6th rounder” and “he’s better than Josh.” They’ve both come already. He’s not. He has a chance to be a decent backup. That was a need. It was good value for that.

Oh yeah that’s a real long shot to start.

I think that this was clearly a luxury pick and that Beane is looking to flip him for a draft pick in a season or two.  If you have a good young backup QB, teams are always willing to trade

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh great, the Brady argument...

It happens. I had a 2nd round grade on him. He’s accurate and while he doesn’t have a cannon he can still hit those 10 - 20 - 30yd throws with ease which happens to make up a large part of being an NFL QB. Calling him Peterman though? Why? Peterman was the worst QB to ever suit up for the Bills. That level of pessimistic negativity is unwarranted simply because they were both drafted in the 5th round. Give the kid a chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1