Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

2 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

No, and it probably lowered their market value.  A recently drafted player's market value would be higher.

Beane's trading of those two guys shows he doesn't want to keep 3rd string QBs on the roster if he can trade them.

Jachai Polite sure found a lot of interest on the trade market.

I didn't read through the previous 21 pages so I don't know if this was discussed, but I just watched a 10-minute segment on Fromm on NFLN.  They said that Fromm lost 5 of his top receivers this past season and that his arm looked weak at the Combine, whereas on film it looked strong-enough.  What does it all mean?  We'll find out.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty much all he did on that QB1 show 

Can shoot deer in his back yard

• Like (+1) 1

Have to admit that I haven't seen him play very much... but the scouting reports seem to describe a text book back-up quarterback... one that would be fine if he had to actually play a little bit.  I'm thinking of a Chase Daniels type based on what I've read... and I think that Daniels has been a pretty successful backup NFL QB at a few stops now.  My two cents.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not ignoring anything. I addressed what Josh has done.

My point is someone that likes Peterman as a QB the way that you do has ZERO credibility in terms of QB analysis. You liked Peterman but question Allen. That’s absurd. It’s an unreasonable position.

In terms of the topic, and Fromm, he’s a backup QB. He could be a good one. Only idiots believe that he is here to compete for the starting job. That’s what my issue is. I have no issue taking a backup QB in the 5th. It is a need. I have an issue (and will have an issue) when people start screaming for Fromm after a bad Allen game. We already have some on here claiming that he will be the QB. Those people have clearly not watched Fromm but have a loud voice. They’ll be posting here and calling WGR, etc... 

I liked Peterman's upside as an extremely smart and accurate QB, as did one of the 32 best coaches in all of football and one of the 32 GM's in all of football - not to mention draft experts. He didn't meet that potential while here, but he's still 25 and employed. He may get another shot, and then it's up to him. He beat out Allen by a mile in his first camp, and as a result earned the right to start. That's where it starts and stops for me, but you can't seem to wrap your head around that fact.

My skepticism of Allen goes back to pre-draft and he's done very little to fix his flaws so far or prove that his strengths can overcome them so far - but I'm still hopeful. What success this team has had is not a result of him carrying them, but of a well balanced and solid team in an extremely weak conference.

It's a lot easier to get stronger than it is to get smarter, but with the amount of Dunning-Kruger going on in here that might be hard to believe

The one thing I'll say for Fromm, as a counterpoint to the Peterman comparison, is that he apparently reads the defense post-snap and throws with anticipation. Peterman seemed to always throw the ball exactly where he thought it should go pre-snap without waiting to see what the defense did. So yes Fromm's arm might be just as weak as Peterman's but I don't think he'll be a pick machine. Everything I'm reading about him says he takes care of the ball, to a fault. That's decent backup QB material. I like the pick better now than I did at first.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

And the guy who drafted Petermann, and signed McCarron, and blah, blah blah.

It's a 5th round pick, he can make a mistake.  It's not going to break anything.

Just don't see the logic of replacing Barkley with a Barkley clone without the experience.

No actually, that was DW.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The one thing I'll say for Fromm, as a counterpoint to the Peterman comparison, is that he apparently reads the defense post-snap and throws with anticipation. Peterman seemed to always throw the ball exactly where he thought it should go pre-snap without waiting to see what the defense did. So yes Fromm's arm might be just as weak as Peterman's but I don't think he'll be a pick machine. Everything I'm reading about him says he takes care of the ball, to a fault. That's decent backup QB material. I like the pick better now than I did at first.

Yeah, the one thing you can't have from a backup QB is them coming in and turning the ball over a bunch. They need to at least manage the game and take care of the football. That's why Tyrod is an excellent backup.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I liked Peterman's upside as an extremely smart and accurate QB, as did one of the 32 best coaches in all of football and one of the 32 GM's in all of football - not to mention draft experts. He didn't meet that potential while here, but he's still 25 and employed. He may get another shot, and then it's up to him. He beat out Allen by a mile in his first camp, and as a result earned the right to start. That's where it starts and stops for me, but you can't seem to wrap your head around that fact.

My skepticism of Allen goes back to pre-draft and he's done very little to fix his flaws so far or prove that his strengths can overcome them so far - but I'm still hopeful. What success this team has had is not a result of him carrying them, but of a well balanced and solid team in an extremely weak conference.

It's a lot easier to get stronger than it is to get smarter, but with the amount of Dunning-Kruger going on in here that might be hard to believe

There was no upside!! He couldn’t make NFL throws outside of the numbers. 

Again, you believed in Peterman but are skeptical on Allen. We just don’t look at QBs the same way I guess.

- I believe that Peterman is the worst QB to ever play.

- I believe that Josh Allen is a huge talent that has made big strides. He can do absolutely everything on the football field. IMO, he’s more likely to be a league MVP than he is to flameout. FWIW, I was not an Allen guy coming out. 

- I also believe it’s easier to learn the game and for it to slow down than to gain physical skills. We disagree there too. 

I don’t see any reason to continue talking about this (especially here).  If you have more that you want to add go ahead but I won’t respond so as to not totally derail this. Bottom line we disagree on QB traits. I think Fromm can and will be the Bills backup. He isn’t going to be a starter ever IMO (and that’s okay). Everyone can feel free to disagree but that’s how I feel.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree.  That's the only explanation for him continuing to throw that damn 10-yard out over and over and over again.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not ignoring anything. I addressed what Josh has done.

My point is someone that likes Peterman as a QB the way that you do has ZERO credibility in terms of QB analysis. You liked Peterman but question Allen. That’s absurd. It’s an unreasonable position.

In terms of the topic, and Fromm, he’s a backup QB. He could be a good one. Only idiots believe that he is here to compete for the starting job. That’s what my issue is. I have no issue taking a backup QB in the 5th. It is a need. I have an issue (and will have an issue) when people start screaming for Fromm after a bad Allen game. We already have some on here claiming that he will be the QB. Those people have clearly not watched Fromm but have a loud voice. They’ll be posting here and calling WGR, etc... 

Oh, yeah? Did Tom Brady not beat out Drew Bledsoe? I’m a big supporter of Josh Allen but Jake Fromm was of tremendous value in the 5th. He should have been a 2nd round pick. Reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton. He could absolutely develop into a quality QB and if Josh Allen takes a step backwards you’ll probably be hearing a lot from Fromm. I don’t think that’ll happen but the Peterman comparisons are lazy. Fromm is by far a better prospect. His arm is better and can make all the throws. Will he challenge Allen? Doubt it. Allen has way too good an arm and way too much God given ability as a runner to not be a starting QB in this league but Fromm is a quality prospect. Peterman comparisons piss me off.