Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

When I saw he was still available in round 4, I actually wondered if we'd take him in round 5 if he was still available.

We only have Barkley beneath Allen and I'm pretty sure he's only under contract for one more year, right?

Considering Allen had an injury in both year 1 and year 2, taking a capable backup QB is a fantastic idea. And seems we got excellent value here.

Now preseason games (if we have them) will be a bit more interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

He's a smart,  accurate QB who reads defenses well,  played at a high level for several years in a major conference and is known as a good worker and team leader.  I think his arm is fine,  especially considering that they're asking him to be a backup.   Its a good pick in R5. 

Who also regressed each year while relying on an excellent running game and defense.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Wow, no one roots for the back up QB to fail more than TBD huh? Isn’t he wearing the same colors as every other goofball we draft late with flaws?

I think you got that all wrong, nobody roots MORE FOR the back up QB when the starter has a rough day than TBD! 

I hope Fromm can spend a decade or more in the league, and it’s probably as a clip board holder. Absolutely nothing wrong with THAT! Good for him. 

To the point of being silly, so I’m not taking this too seriously. 

3 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

So that means bringing in a guy to compete with Barkley is wrong. Let them duel it out and let the best man win the job. This pick is about competition and pushing a guy like barkley. No job is just handed on this team, as we see you have to earn it and if Barkley is the better qb as you say, we will find out

And it only will cost the team  5th round pick to watch this play out....

The good news is that this is a luxury pick, like many say, and the team overall looks to be in good shape.

The only downside is that a slag like Fromm will be on the roster for a while.

Edited by Perry Turtle

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Brady was the worst combine in history.  

Physical tools are nice, but they are not everything.  Peyton, Brees, and Brady...3 of the GOATS, all are not physically gifted.  

NO, not saying he will be one of those guys, just saying its not everything.  And in the 5th...the value was too good here.  And more importantly, Barkley looked terrible last year, so a young prospect to bring some competition there for the backup is fine by me in the 5th.  

Yeah, I didn’t watch the combine. I do watch the SEC, however, and while he is clearly cerebral, he just doesn’t have an arm or other physical tools like most NFL QB’s. 

Just my opinion, I’m not attempting to get anyone’s panties in a wad. ? 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Yes, she was a babe in 2011.

Jake said to the Buffalo media that Josh reached out to him and told him congratulations. Told Josh he wants to play golf with him soon.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and yet if you talk to UGA fans they think and thought that was insanity. There isn’t one sane person in the US that thinks Fromm is a better QB than Fields (who will be a top 2 pick).

Fromm isn’t going to all of a sudden become talented. His ceiling is low. He has a chance to carve out a career as a backup (and a good chance). He is not in any way, shape or form pushing Allen.

Which is why he was a 5th round choice. This is getting amusing! I’m already thinking of who will be in the pro-Fromm camp after Josh has a weak game (or half!).  

8 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

What were they saying

Mel mentioned that he's always been pro-Allen, but with his play style the backup QB is an important position. Louis agreed and said QB2 is a top-30 position on the 53 man roster in terms of importance. They had dissenting opinions on how much the combine impacted him; he was Mel's top ranked guy by far and he mentioned that performing right after Eason made his arm stick out in a more negative manner, whereas Riddick said that seeing guys on the same playing field justifies what scouts should think about them relative to others. Both questioned the fit (cliches about Buffalo weather), but like his cerebral ability and shot to develop into a solid backup for us.

• Thank you (+1) 1