Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

So, I guess the season finale against the Jets meant something after all.

It showed that Barkley can't play in the NFL and why the Bills were in the market for a young back up QB.

I don't know how this works out, but, at worst, Fromm has worked with an NFL-type roster.

He's a smart,  accurate QB who reads defenses well,  played at a high level for several years in a major conference and is known as a good worker and team leader.  I think his arm is fine,  especially considering that they're asking him to be a backup.   Its a good pick in R5. 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

WHOA!!!! Did not see that coming. Don’t understand it. 

At worst it is insurance on JA (hands up don’t shoot). At best, dude progresses, she’s flashes, and in year 4 we are able to flip this pick into a 3rd. 

1 minute ago, brianthomas said:

yeah i brought it up a few pages ago. Ive been following him ever since. If u havent watched it its a must watch now. Will give anyone a good idea on who he is... even tho its from when he was in highschool.

That’s where I remembered his mom from ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

Well yeah, but they’re supposed to draft a prototype, day-one ready QB every year......in the fifth round.

All I want in the fifth round is a QB who dominated in college with a massive ceiling who is day one going to beat out NFL veterans.

No, you’re unreasonable!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Wonder if people think Drew Lock is a BU with a weak arm?  Same ball Velocity as Fromm. 

Ball velocity is probably the least accurate stat, if you can even call it that. There are endless examples of guys with lousy arms throwing mph as hard as guys with huge arms. Every year at the combine. It's worthless.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Fortunately for him, Fromm’s fastball is unlikely to do the same. 

Wow, no one roots for the back up QB to fail more than TBD huh? Isn’t he wearing the same colors as every other goofball we draft late with flaws?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I love this pick so much.

He is a an competition machine.  Allen IS our starter, but you can’t tell me that this selection doesn’t put some additional pressure on him.  It pushes him even harder.  

Fromm beat out the higher rated Eason and made him transfer

Fromm beat out the prodigy Fields and made him transfer.  

the kids competes. 

the kid wins.

With Allen due to get paid in a couple years and and still relatively unproven,  Fromm will bring the best out of Allen.  Fromm, watching allen throw lasers all around the field, will likely improve his velocity

yes, he has a lot of work to do as a QB, but he has time.  You can’t teach the stuff that he brings to the table.  

...and yet if you talk to UGA fans they think and thought that was insanity. There isn’t one sane person in the US that thinks Fromm is a better QB than Fields (who will be a top 2 pick).

Fromm isn’t going to all of a sudden become talented. His ceiling is low. He has a chance to carve out a career as a backup (and a good chance). He is not in any way, shape or form pushing Allen.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Perry Turtle said:

Totally.

Fromm doesn't have a better skillset than Barkley.  Barkley has experience in the NFL and the Bills offense.

Come preseason, Barkley will be the obvious 2nd string QB, and Fromm will have more value as a trade asset than the emergency QB.

So that means bringing in a guy to compete with Barkley is wrong. Let them duel it out and let the best man win the job. This pick is about competition and pushing a guy like barkley. No job is just handed on this team, as we see you have to earn it and if Barkley is the better qb as you say, we will find out