Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Same arm as Peterman, same round as Peterman, drafted by the same regime..... again, if Allen gets hurt for an extended period of time they are screwed. 

I am not here to tell you that Jake Fromm is a future franchise Quarterback. He is most decidedly not. But Fromm could have a career in this league as a backup. He is a thousand times better than the worst Quarterback I have ever seen get drafted by anybody. And remember I was the guy saying Peterman was "undraftable" before that draft. Fromm is not great but he is a lot better than that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

The combine order for throwing absolutely changed the perception of Fromm. Fromm threw right after Eason, who clocked in at 59mph and was the fastest thrower in the combine. Fromm clocked in at 53mph, which is reasonable for the NFL. Watson threw 45mph in comparison...

Among the other top prospects this draft, only Herbert threw a little faster than Fromm (55/54mph). Here's what the data shows:

Year: 2020

Jacob Eason Washington 59 (Left) 59 (Right)
Jake Luton Oregon State 59 (Left) 56 (Right)
Steven Montez Colorado 58 (Left) 59 (Right)
Kevin Davidson Princeton 57 (Left) 56 (Right)
Justin Herbert Oregon 55 (Left) 54 (Right)
James Morgan Florida International 54 (Left) 54 (Right)
Jordan Love Utah State 54 (Left) 53 (Right)
Jalen Hurts Oklahoma 54 (Left) 51 (Right)
Jake Fromm Georgia 53 (Left) 53 (Right)
Nate Stanley Iowa 52 (Left) 54 (Right)
Anthony Gordon Washington State 52 (Left) 51 (Right)
Brian Lewerke Michigan State 51 (Left) 49 (Right)
Cole McDonald Hawaii 51 (Left) 47 (Right)
Shea Patterson Michigan 50 (Left) 51 (Right)
Kelly Bryant Missouri 47 (Left) 45 (Right)
Joe Burrow – did not throw
Tua Tagovailoa – did not throw

Never mind the details.  The mob has spoken.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean, you have a guy here who has played in and won big games against NFL talent. Why not give Fromm a chance?

Willing to give him a chance. I think that it is decent value here. I have seen him a lot and don’t think that he is good. He played with TONS of talent. In general, he held them back imo. He has a chance to be a backup QB and we need that. His ceiling is LOW though to me.

I’ve watched Fromm play a good bit.  

He’s incredibly accurate, very smart, can buy time and anticipates. 

His back shoulder throws were almost unstoppable.  

He lacks arm talent. Absolutely....but he won’t get rattled and can win a few games if your starter goes down.  That’s what you want in a backup.  

After what I saw from Barkley last year, I’m glad we brought in another guy... let alone a Jake Fromm in the 5th. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mr. K said:

I'm surprised they took a QB at all but I can't say I don't like it. Isnt that the best time to draft a QB when you (think) have one?

Supposedly they really like James Morgan from FIU. Buffalo was in the market for a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bob in STL said:

I took some heat last week when I mentioned drafting a QB in later rounds.  

We need a backup.  Let’s see what he does.  Right now we are a team on the rise that still has not won a playoff game, therefore  every position is up for grabs every year.  

100% agree.

The Bills have dug through trash bins for years trying to get quarterbacks. 

Talked two QBs out of retirement, took other people’s backups and tried to make them starters, took busts (Brohm) and have them a whirl. 

Peterman didn’t work as a 5th Rounder, try again with a guy from a bigger school. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love this pick so much.

He is a an competition machine.  Allen IS our starter, but you can’t tell me that this selection doesn’t put some additional pressure on him.  It pushes him even harder.  

Fromm beat out the higher rated Eason and made him transfer

Fromm beat out the prodigy Fields and made him transfer.  

the kids competes. 

the kid wins.

With Allen due to get paid in a couple years and and still relatively unproven,  Fromm will bring the best out of Allen.  Fromm, watching allen throw lasers all around the field, will likely improve his velocity

yes, he has a lot of work to do as a QB, but he has time.  You can’t teach the stuff that he brings to the table.  

• Like (+1) 6