Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No one will scream for him to play. Not many people even wanted to see Barkley.

...oh just wait

People screamed for Peterman. Imagine what people will think when a guy that had success at UGA is sitting there. There is already someone on here claiming that he’s better than Josh. You are giving people too much credit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Barkley's one good game ever has blinded many of us to the need of backup QB. We need to still have a chance of a season if Allen ever goes down. Fromm is a smart distributor of the ball and has a chance to be a good backup. No chance to ever be the starter. Nothing wrong with that. 

Didn't blind me. :) He still lobbed the ball all over the place. I guess I wouldn't mind if they release Barkley at the last cut if Fromm impresses as a backup because he's the same guy, younger and cheaper. But I want a backup that can actually throw the ball at at least the minimum required. Now we have two that can't.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could be same thing.  Having to teach someone is one of the best ways to solidify your own understanding.

I always found that was by writing a cheat sheet before an exam! I never used one, but it did make me learn it so I wouldn’t have to use it! Haha

This team has almost no holes. I’d much rather take a flier on a qb that had a way higher grade then round 5...then to waste a pick on some depth lineman or Dback that we don’t even need. If this guy turns out to be a long term backup, then it’s a great pick. If he ends up being a flop, no harm done. Way more to gain by trying. Nothing risked IMO.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Big C said:

It's actually Jake from State Fromm which really bothers me, lol.

I think it is a good value pick here. The Patriots drafted QBs all the time with Brady. You gotta have trusty backups and if your organization is good you can trade those guys to needy teams for more than they are likely worth.

This. Was just talking with a co-worker and I said the same thing. Hell of a chip to have in your pocket if a QB goes down somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I figured that, and was responding to the other poster who suggested that Fromm could take over at starter if Josh doesn't work out, which I don't see happening.  One thing I'm not comfortable with is having a rookie as a backup.  Maybe Barkley sticks around this year and we keep three QBs?  That would make sense.

Practice squad him.   Who'd be desperate enough to sign him to the active 55?...

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020QB.php

Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia
Height: 6-2. Weight: 219. Hand: 8.88.
40 Time: 4.90. Projected Round (2020): 2-3.

4/21/20: Fromm completed 60 percent of his passes in 2019 for 2,860 yards with 24 touchdowns and five interceptions. He made some clutch throws to lead Georgia to a tough win over Notre Dame, but had four turnovers in a loss to South Carolina. Fromm bounced back to lead the Bulldogs to a win over Florida, being superb on third down. However, he struggled after playing Florida, putting together ugly games with pass-completion rates of less than 50 percent against Missouri, Auburn, Texas A&M and LSU.

Fromm is a generally accurate quarterback who makes good decisions and is an efficient game manager. He is a gritty signal-caller who seems to play at his best in crunch time. However, he does not have an early-round skill set for the NFL, with his arm strength being average at best and he won't be a running threat in the pros. Fromm may not have a starter's skill set, but he has great intangibles and is a winner, so a team could easily fall in love and draft him higher than where his physical talent dictates he should go.

8/15/19: Fromm completed 67 percent of his passes in 2018 for 2,749 yards with 30 touchdowns and six interceptions. Because of an injury, Fromm was pressed into the starting lineup as a freshman in 2017, but he led Georgia all the way to the National Championship that season. Fromm was an excellent game-manager, making some clutch throws while protecting the football to allow his potent rushing attack and superb defense to control games. On the year, Fromm completed 62.2 percent of his passes for 2,615 yards with 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

There is a lot to like about Fromm translating to the NFL. The important trait for any quarterback is accuracy, which Fromm has. He places his ball well, putting it in position for his receiver to make catches while avoiding putting the ball in danger. Fromm is a good decisiom-maker who protects the ball well and doesn't get careless or panic. He is a dangerous play-action passer who can come through with some clutch throws in crunch time.

Fromm is a confident, calm, poised, and efficient pocket passer. He stands tall in the pocket and is a consistent passer, distributing the ball to all levels of the defense. He shows good timing and precision to hit his receivers through windows in coverage while leading them to produce more yards after the catch. His calm and poised approach lends to him showing field vision in the pocket, as he will move his eyes and work off his primary read. For a young quarterback, Fromm had impressive field vision at the start of his time at Georgia. While he doesn't have a cannon, Fromm will challenge defenses vertically and isn't afraid to go downfield. With his rhythm and pocket passing, Fromm would be a good fit in a west coast offense.

To me he looks like a solid backup after a year or so.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wonder how much it impacted our choice when Bryce Hall was selected by the Jets a few picks before us.

Fromm in the 5th was too good a value. I've been following Jake since high school. I'd rather have Jake than Barkley, totally cool with this pick.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...oh just wait

People screamed for Peterman. Imagine what people will think when a guy that had success at UGA is sitting there. There is already someone on here claiming that he’s better than Josh. You are giving people too much credit.

I mean, you have a guy here who has played in and won big games against NFL talent. Why not give Fromm a chance?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Same arm as Peterman, same round as Peterman, drafted by the same regime..... again, if Allen gets hurt for an extended period of time they are screwed. 

I’ve been drinking for days. I just took a BM that is better than Peterman. 

• Haha (+1) 2