Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s his Actual twitter handle 

It's actually Jake from State Fromm which really bothers me, lol.

I think it is a good value pick here. The Patriots drafted QBs all the time with Brady. You gotta have trusty backups and if your organization is good you can trade those guys to needy teams for more than they are likely worth.

• Like (+1) 1

167. Bills: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

Grade: B+. With Matt Barkley in the final year of his contract, Bills were quietly in the backup QB market. Like Barkley, Fromm wins with anticipation but has weak arm. Good pocket presence and plenty of big-game experience.

9 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I’m no NFL talent evaluator, but not very physically gifted (compared to starting QB’s). 

Brady was the worst combine in history.  

Physical tools are nice, but they are not everything.  Peyton, Brees, and Brady...3 of the GOATS, all are not physically gifted.  

NO, not saying he will be one of those guys, just saying its not everything.  And in the 5th...the value was too good here.  And more importantly, Barkley looked terrible last year, so a young prospect to bring some competition there for the backup is fine by me in the 5th.  

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I figured that, and was responding to the other poster who suggested that Fromm could take over at starter if Josh doesn't work out, which I don't see happening.  One thing I'm not comfortable with is having a rookie as a backup.  Maybe Barkley sticks around this year and we keep three QBs?  That would make sense.

Well, he’s very smart and could pick up the playbook but with a shortened offseason it could be an issue having a rookie backup 

The combine order for throwing absolutely changed the perception of Fromm. Fromm threw right after Eason, who clocked in at 59mph and was the fastest thrower in the combine. Fromm clocked in at 53mph, which is reasonable for the NFL. Watson threw 45mph in comparison...

Among the other top prospects this draft, only Herbert threw a little faster than Fromm (55/54mph). Here's what the data shows:

Year: 2020

Jacob Eason Washington 59 (Left) 59 (Right)
Jake Luton Oregon State 59 (Left) 56 (Right)
Steven Montez Colorado 58 (Left) 59 (Right)
Kevin Davidson Princeton 57 (Left) 56 (Right)
Justin Herbert Oregon 55 (Left) 54 (Right)
James Morgan Florida International 54 (Left) 54 (Right)
Jordan Love Utah State 54 (Left) 53 (Right)
Jalen Hurts Oklahoma 54 (Left) 51 (Right)
Jake Fromm Georgia 53 (Left) 53 (Right)
Nate Stanley Iowa 52 (Left) 54 (Right)
Anthony Gordon Washington State 52 (Left) 51 (Right)
Brian Lewerke Michigan State 51 (Left) 49 (Right)
Cole McDonald Hawaii 51 (Left) 47 (Right)
Shea Patterson Michigan 50 (Left) 51 (Right)
Kelly Bryant Missouri 47 (Left) 45 (Right)
Joe Burrow – did not throw
Tua Tagovailoa – did not throw

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3