Rd 4, Pick 128: WR Gabriel Davis UCF

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I types his name on Twitter and after not going in day 2 , ppl were saying he'd be the steal of the draft. UCF fans covet him and I see all positives about him, really upped my expectations. Saying he plays like Mike Evans

I always love reading the different opinions on players and when I see Davis the words "not flashy" come up all he does is

Get vertical

Blocks

Plays ST

Catches the ball well

High points well

Extremely productive in college

Tough

I mean....ok if all these things means "not flashy" I WILL TAKE IT

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I always love reading the different opinions on players and when I see Davis the words "not flashy" come up all he does is

Get vertical

Blocks

Plays ST

Catches the ball well

High points well

Tough

McBeanes don't need no stinkin' flashy

They just want hard core Football players

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Get vertical

Blocks

Plays ST

Catches the ball well

High points well

Tough

Absolutely. In a regular draft year without such talent at WR , he might have been an early 2.

Kid sounds legit . Day 1 impact. 

4 minutes ago, WorstTEever81 said:

One GM said pre-draft that he sees multiple day one starters at WR in rounds 5+. This was a VERY strong WR class. I think a guy like Davis would have gone late second in a normal year.

Crazy I just said he'd be an early 2 in a normal year lol. The wr talent this year was insane

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely. In a regular draft year without such talent at WR , he might have been an early 2.

Crazy I just said he'd be an early 2 in a normal year lol. The wr talent this year was insane

It’s an ideal situation for both the player and the team. He doesn’t have to come in and make an immediate impact, and the team doesn’t need him to do that. He can sit and learn from some serious pros, contribute in spots and be ready down the road to hopefully become a SERIOUS contributor as Brown and Beasley age out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It’s an ideal situation for both the player and the team. He doesn’t have to come in and make an immediate impact, and the team doesn’t need him to do that. He can sit and learn from some serious pros, contribute in spots and be ready down the road to hopefully become a SERIOUS contributor as Brown and Beasley age out. 

Exactly.

Davis is an interesting pick.  Hes young and productive.  I disnt know of him.  I like his size and deep gear.  He puts pressure on every wr not named Diggs, Brown or Beasley.  With Espenesa 1, Moss 2, and Davis 3 is best combonation of DE, Rb and Wr as you could hope for.

On 4/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, Logic said:

I predict that Davis's first three years in Buffalo will look a lot like those of another 6 foot 2 WR from the Bills past: Eric Moulds.

Whoa, nelly.  Might want to pull the reins back a bit there.   

Moulds played three years in the SEC against the best players in the country, at a time when the ball was much less aired out.   The AAC that Davis played in is good, but a big step down in competition and talent.    He'll have a lot of work to do to get to EM's level...

Davis going up against other teams #3 outside corner/safety could be real fun to watch given his big play ability. 

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

His projection is a potential high level #2 WR from multiple draft analysts. 

In normal drafts, those guys tend to go in the 2nd Round, so you may be correct.  

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

The knock on him coming out of college was all about the college experience.  He ran a limited route tree, being used mostly as a deep receiver.  What the Bills figured out, and most everyone else missed was the head he has on his shoulders.  He's smart, and willing to study to learn what he doesn't know.  From all appearances, what he doesn't know has already shrunk considerably since the draft.  Now we have a receiver who has good size, is physical and fights for the ball.  He catches everything thrown at him, runs good routes, blocks well, is faster than people think and plays special teams.  All of that and he's humble too.  What's not to love?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:09 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree 100%...I want guys that are good at football not good at being tall (and Davis is a good size). I like the Davis pick. This is my favorite of the 3 picks so far.

When it comes to these threads I always like to go back to what I said at the time in case I need to delete it to hide from my terrible take ??. Fortunately, I’m cool with what I said ?

Also, kudos to @MAJBobby for his insight as an UCf STH. I found that to be interesting and accurate (at least based on camp reports). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe all the hype and all the reports.. I think Gabe Davis will lock down that #2 spot opposite of Diggs for the foreseeable future.. but I’m not willing to discount the importance of John Brown and Cole Beasley.. looks like Beane did good, real good..... plenty of targets for Josh Allen, who by all accounts is having a tremendous camp himself.. 

On 4/28/2020 at 3:51 AM, Lurker said:

Whoa, nelly.  Might want to pull the reins back a bit there.   

Moulds played three years in the SEC against the best players in the country, at a time when the ball was much less aired out.   The AAC that Davis played in is good, but a big step down in competition and talent.    He'll have a lot of work to do to get to EM's level...

If you look at Moulds' first three years, it wasn't until year3 that he really came into his own. First two he was still getting his footing in the pros

• Like (+1) 2