Rd 4, Pick 128: WR Gabriel Davis UCF

8 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

For those who are apoplectic over Davis picked in the fourth round, I remember my negative over reaction to another fourth round WR pick.  I was like...Andre who?  What the h---  is a Kutztown State.  You have to be sh---ing me.  What kind of b---sh-- is this.  Well I guess he showed me how wrong my initial perception was.  My advice now is to chill out and see how it plays out.  I trust Beane to do the right thing.

One of the few positive things that came out of one of the worst seasons in Bills history (1985) was that Andre Reed showed RIGHT AWAY in TC of 85 that he could absolutely play in the NFL and he started right out of the gate in 1985.

This is a completely different team and draft than we have been used to for a generation. We no longer have gaping, glaring needs anywhere. For the first time, the GM can just take players that complement other players, rather than, say, need to take the best overall WR on the board. Davis and Moss were perfect examples. Davis fits into what we were missing perfectly if we were going to go WR. He's a total process guy, and his interview I saw (the transcript) made me immediately see why the Bills liked him more than other guys. Frankly, I wanted a WR, and didn't really like AGG or Peoples. I wasn't as familiar with Davis but he has skills I want to see on the Bills with Josh.

• Like (+1) 11

14 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

It's simple. Most corners are 5'11" and under. A select few are 6'0" ....  Generally WR's 6'2" are considered "big" or "tall" due to this, as they have an advantage against atleast 90% of the league's corners on jump balls.

Right.

It's not like we're gonna ask him to post up an NBA center. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

This is a completely different team and draft than we have been used to for a generation. We no longer have gaping, glaring needs anywhere. For the first time, the GM can just take players that complement other players, rather than, say, need to take the best overall WR on the board. Davis and Moss were perfect examples. Davis fits into what we were missing perfectly if we were going to go WR. He's a total process guy, and his interview I saw (the transcript) made me immediately see why the Bills liked him more than other guys. Frankly, I wanted a WR, and didn't really like AGG or Peoples. I wasn't as familiar with Davis but he has skills I want to see on the Bills with Josh.

When you go into the draft when your biggest need is a spell RB, you are crushing talent acquisition.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree 100%...I want guys that are good at football not good at being tall (and Davis is a good size). I like the Davis pick. This is my favorite of the 3 picks so far.

Favorite, huh? That’s high praise!

Have multiple ? replies to my post about Duke's performance v. the Texans. Were people watching a different game? He performed very well when given the opportunity Week 17. But he had multiple drops in the playoff game and had difficulties getting open for Josh when we needed it while Brown and Beasley were getting more attention.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-why-duke-williams-doubled-cole-beasleys-targets-vs-texans.html

Edited by BillsFanForever19

It seems like 4.55  is an typical 40 yard time for a big guy.

Here are a list of leading WR and the guys more than 210 pounds are highlighted in red.

CeeDee Lamb*, WR, Oklahoma
Height: 6-2. Weight: 198. 40 Time: 4.50.

Jerry Jeudy*, WR, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 193. 40 Time: 4.45.

Henry Ruggs III*, WR, Alabama
Height: 5-11. Weight: 188. 40 Time: 4.27.

Tee Higgins*, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 216. Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Justin Jefferson*, WR, LSU
Height: 6-1. Weight: 202. 40 Time: 4.43.

Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
Height: 6-4. Weight: 238. 40 Time: 4.42.             freak

Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 201. 40 Time: 4.50.

Jalen Reagor*, WR, TCU
Height: 5-11. Weight: 206. 40 Time: 4.47.

Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
Height: 6-2. Weight: 206. 40 Time: 4.38.

K.J. Hamler**, WR, Penn State
Height: 5-9. Weight: 178. Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado
Height: 6-1. Weight: 227. 40 Time: 4.58.

Gabriel Davis*, WR, Central Florida
Height: 6-2. Weight: 216. 40 Time: 4.54.

Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC
Height: 6-3. Weight: 219. 40 Time: 4.52.

Collin Johnson, WR, Texas
Height: 6-5. Weight: 221. Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200. Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty
Height: 6-3. Weight: 222. 40 Time: 4.60.         slow

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Or DK Metcalf, which the entire league passed on twice last year anyways. Shows the league doesn’t have the same obsession with size that the fans do. 

Yep Unicorns. Once every 3 or 4 years they come along and actually develop to something 

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Have multiple ? replies to my post about his performance v. the Texans. Were people watching a different game? He performed very well when given the opportunity Week 17. But he had multiple drops in the playoff game and had difficulties getting open for Josh when we needed it.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-why-duke-williams-doubled-cole-beasleys-targets-vs-texans.html

The Jets are terrible and the Texans are not. I want players who play well against good opponents.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Have multiple ? replies to my post about Duke's performance v. the Texans. Were people watching a different game? He performed very well when given the opportunity Week 17. But he had multiple drops in the playoff game and had difficulties getting open for Josh when we needed it while Brown and Beasley were getting more attention.

If Duke is as good as some think. He will beat out the other Wars to include Davis. (He won’t though) and will be back on the PS again 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

If the argument is for a physical receiver, why not Gandy? And for that matter, why not Peoples-Jones?

Not saying this is a bad pick, but why not the others?

I had Davis above both. Only just above DPJ but a round ahead of Gandy-Golden.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

Based upon the limited ESPN video, his route tree seems to consist of “Go Long!”

But we can use someone who can high point those balls now, while he’s learning to refine his game. 

The write up in The Athletic states that he has been actively working on his route tree and they no longer view it as a weakness. 

• Like (+1) 1