Rd 4, Pick 128: WR Gabriel Davis UCF

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When it comes to these threads I always likely to go back to what I said at the time in case I need to delete it to hide from my terrible take ??. Fortunately, I’m cool with what I said ?

Also, kudos to @MAJBobby for his insight as an UCf STH. I found that to be interesting and accurate (at least based on camp reports). 

Appreciate it.  I really like the kid a hard worker and Humble.  I am hoping the UCF Product does big things for the bills after the other UCF Product I was excited about going to Buffalo (Troup) though I think he health had more to do with it than anything I think the talent was there.

Edited by MAJBobby

The really encouraging report for me was that he beat Tre White "off the line" the other day. That to me was the area that I saw greatest room for development in his game. I wasn't worried about separation as much as some because to me if he just improved the get off it would come. If he is beating Tre off the line in his first training camp that is very encouraging.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If you look at Moulds' first three years, it wasn't until year3 that he really came into his own. First two he was still getting his footing in the pros

Yeah, Moulds was thought to be a bust by many, and it all really clicked late for him.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, Moulds was thought to be a bust by many, and it all really clicked late for him.

I wrote-him-off after his 2nd season.  I remember a play where he should have taken the ball OOB to stop the clock but didn't and thought he'd never get it.

• Like (+1) 1

His game reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin, who was a favorite of mine coming out of FSU, wasn’t flashy enough for the first round, but went on to be a borderline HOF player.  What a steal it would be to get anything like that in the 4th.

Also, if he can force his way on the field, he instantly becomes a big deal for this team, his size and relative speed are great, but line him up with Brown to take the top off, Diggs taking the primary DB, Beasley under and he can get to the 15 yard range, it could make this O very hard to handle if JA can take the next step this year and really make people fear the long ball.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If you look at Moulds' first three years, it wasn't until year3 that he really came into his own. First two he was still getting his footing in the pros

This is exactly what I meant when I said I envisioned Davis’ first three years looking like Moulds. Two years of unimpressive production (in Davis’ case, due to lack of opportunity), followed by a breakout in year three and a great career. 

I’m sticking to it.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just took him at 125:1 to be OROY. I only made a $20 bet but it feels like that is money well spent. If one of the top 2 is out for any period of time it isn’t impossible to think he could have an AJ Brown like impact. 

I'll be absolutely shocked if it's not Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just took him at 125:1 to be OROY. I only made a $20 bet but it feels like that is money well spent. If one of the top 2 is out for any period of time it isn’t impossible to think he could have an AJ Brown like impact. 

I mean he's WR4 that's going to be tough, Moss seems like a safer bet.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

His game reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin, who was a favorite of mine coming out of FSU, wasn’t flashy enough for the first round, but went on to be a borderline HOF player.  What a steal it would be to get anything like that in the 4th.

Also, if he can force his way on the field, he instantly becomes a big deal for this team, his size and relative speed are great, but line him up with Brown to take the top off, Diggs taking the primary DB, Beasley under and he can get to the 15 yard range, it could make this O very hard to handle if JA can take the next step this year and really make people fear the long ball.

Boldin definitely is a Hall of Fame player. I hated how he retired on the Bills but he definitely is in the Hall in my opinion. He's 14th All time in receiving yards and 9th in receptions. He was for his era one of the top WR's from the mid 2000's to 2014. He was also a big time winner. He helped Arizona reach their only meaningful success in decades making it to the Super Bowl in 2008 and then a playoff victory in 2009. He then goes to Baltimore where for three seasons they make the playoffs, win playoff games and then in 2012 he wins the Super Bowl. He was a productive player and a tone setter all three years there. 

He then goes to San Francisco where he helps them get to the NFC title game his first year there (a year in which he broke 1000 yards) and even thought the Niners fell off his second year there going 8-8 Boldin turned in a 1000 yard season. Even in 2016 his stint with Detroit he was still a productive role player who helped them reach the playoffs. If that isn't a HOF career then there are a lot of players that don't belong in the HOF. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I'll be absolutely shocked if it's not Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean he's WR4 that's going to be tough, Moss seems like a safer bet.

The point of it isn’t that it’s likely. It’s that I’m getting $125 for every $1 I spend. If Brown or Diggs goes down he will have every opportunity to flourish. He could be a 1,000 yard receiver on a good team.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Even if he is as good as he appears to be in training camp, OROY is going to be a tough honor to achieve because he's locked into the 4th receiver position barring injury.  Diggs, Brown and Beasley aren't going anywhere, and that means touches are going to be hard to come by.  Two receptions per game, even with a gaudy 20 yards per reception still only nets him 320 yards.  That's not going to win any post season honors.  Now if John Brown goes down with a . . . do we really want to think about that?

Honestly, I think Zack Moss has a better shot at OROY.  After all, he's going to be sharing reps on running plays with only one other player (Devin Singletary) and that might be more of a 1a and 1b pairing at RB as opposed to having guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Edited by TigerJ

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Even if he is as good as he appears to be in training camp, OROY is going to be a tough honor to achieve because he's locked into the 4th receiver position barring injury.  Diggs, Brown and Beasley aren't going anywhere, and that means touches are going to be hard to come by.  Two receptions per game, even with a gaudy 20 yards per reception still only nets him 320 yards.  That's not going to win any post season honors.  Now if John Brown goes down with a . . . do we really want to think about that?

Mmmmm I don’t think touches will be hard to come by for Davis.. Diggs, Brown and Beasley will occasionally need some air.. he’s essentially the main backup to all three.. then you have to factor in that we’ll be running a lot of 4 WR sets...he’ll get quite a bit of time out there...

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Honestly, I think Zack Moss has a better shot at OROY.  After all, he's going to be sharing reps on running plays with only one other player (Devin Singletary) and that might be more of a 1a and 1b pairing at RB as opposed to having guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

You missed my post above. It is a bet on one of the top 2 going out. I am getting $125 for every dollar spent. I can tell that everyone questioning this doesn’t bet sports. Moss is certainly more likely. The same holds true for Edwards-Helaire. It is about the value though. Davis generates a giant return compared to his likelihood.  If things break his way he CAN win and I will turn my $20 into $2500. That’s the point. Even if you think there’s a 4% chance it’s a decent bet. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Moulds was a "bust" until his mother told him she was disappointed in him and he understood that his work ethic was poor. Davis will have the high work ethic from day one and will be our 4th reciever, not 1 or 2. Davis probably will be better in the first two years but that comparison will not mean much in 10 years 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I agree OROY is unlikely, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think he COULD displace Brown on the outside because of his size, sending Brown across the field more, deep slants etc, could make him a great roll, that’s where a lot of his damage was done last year anyway.  Beasley works underneath almost exclusively.  So it’s not really the same roll.  I mean we are WAY ahead of ourselves here, but he should see a lot of work in the RZ because of the size and if a power run game is a part of things, it would also make sense to have the much bigger guy out there on the outside.   If he can take over that roll, Brown could be an absolute nightmare for other teams, a guy that fast who you really have to put your 3rd CB on with Diggs commanding the best and usually the outside guy isn’t going to run inside with Brown.  For what he did as a number 1 with little help last year, good Lord it could get real for him this season if JA can make it happen.

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Boldin definitely is a Hall of Fame player. I hated how he retired on the Bills but he definitely is in the Hall in my opinion. He's 14th All time in receiving yards and 9th in receptions. He was for his era one of the top WR's from the mid 2000's to 2014. He was also a big time winner. He helped Arizona reach their only meaningful success in decades making it to the Super Bowl in 2008 and then a playoff victory in 2009. He then goes to Baltimore where for three seasons they make the playoffs, win playoff games and then in 2012 he wins the Super Bowl. He was a productive player and a tone setter all three years there. 

He then goes to San Francisco where he helps them get to the NFC title game his first year there (a year in which he broke 1000 yards) and even thought the Niners fell off his second year there going 8-8 Boldin turned in a 1000 yard season. Even in 2016 his stint with Detroit he was still a productive role player who helped them reach the playoffs. If that isn't a HOF career then there are a lot of players that don't belong in the HOF. 

I agree, but it’s tough to judge these days it seems.  I think he should be in, not even really a question, but there never should have been a question with T.O. Either.