Please, Please Please...Never mind

Lurker

1 hour ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Reviewing the comments here on how great the Bills GM is as a result of today’s draft - but I haven’t read a single post providing any justification as to why ?  I grade today’s draft by the Bills as a generally fair to barely average; with my rationale:

- when I compare the Bills draft to other teams (Patriots and Ravens to make a few) we definitely did not get the same value.  

- I cannot find any way possible to see how the Bills 2 lone picks (plus one trade / Diggs) are better than the Ravens and Patriots drafts today. 

- The GM is responsible for “shaping” future drafts to allow for a maximum amount of picks to correspond with best value.  I didn’t see any of that from the Bills GM within the last year leading up to today’s draft and none of it today during the execution of today’s draft.

I do commend the great work which was accomplished with the salary cap and related contracts which is exceptionally hard work - especially to correct all the poor contracts given by the previous GM. If I’m missing something about today, I would like to know - again little to no justification seems to have been provided for today’s so called exceptional work.

I think Beane lost most of his latitude in this draft when he traded for Diggs.  We couldn't move around in the 2nd unless we would give up our 3rd or 4th round pick... which we don't want.  Now in Round 4, Beane might move around 1 time.

• Like (+1) 1

Let me say this up front, I really really like Beane and McDermott.  I want them to be here for a while.

I love Beane's philosophy on how to build this team and we'll see how he maintains it as Josh Allen gets his new contract.

OK, the one thing that really bothers me is that most of the free agents / players coming to the Bills are coming from the Panthers, which is where he was prior to being our GM.  He is using his inside knowledge on those players and if they are worth bringing here.

I just worry about in a couple of years when he cannot use Carolina players as his personal free agent store (because those will be players he won't know well) and he needs to start evaluating and pulling more FA's from other teams.

That is my only real concern.

Beane has done a wonderful job with the roster, getting 'extra' players and trading them during training camp, the drafts have been pretty good.

Is he perfect? No, but he is working hard for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Let me say this up front, I really really like Beane and McDermott.  I want them to be here for a while.

I love Beane's philosophy on how to build this team and we'll see how he maintains it as Josh Allen gets his new contract.

OK, the one thing that really bothers me is that most of the free agents / players coming to the Bills are coming from the Panthers, which is where he was prior to being our GM.  He is using his inside knowledge on those players and if they are worth bringing here.

I just worry about in a couple of years when he cannot use Carolina players as his personal free agent store (because those will be players he won't know well) and he needs to start evaluating and pulling more FA's from other teams.

That is my only real concern.

Beane has done a wonderful job with the roster, getting 'extra' players and trading them during training camp, the drafts have been pretty good.

Is he perfect? No, but he is working hard for us. 

Beane is also hiring from other teams ' front office (i.e. Texans) to get inside information from them.

• Like (+1) 2

Probation guys, please read for awhile before a couple of you make silly comments.  I’m sure you meant well, and a person can find fault with anyone.  If you’re older ok, but if not, you haven’t endured through the crap many of us have since the 1970’s.  This is the first administration between coaching, management, and personnel many of us middle aged people can get excited about.  I know the Polian Levy years were fun, but that was not long enough.

Not speaking down to anyone, just understand if you had to watch Kay Stephenson, and so on, you’d be excited as well.  Also, we had a great owner who kept our team here even into his death, but for awhile didn’t want to pay for players, then didn’t also want to pay for proven coaches like Chuck Knox.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Shouldn't we wait until at least 1 or 2 of his 1st and 2nd round picks lives up to their draft status? Also, he has apparently given up on putting a good OL together despite the fact that he had more cap space than 27 other teams. That said, I think Oliver still has a shot at greatness and maybe Edmunds might turn out OK. I do think a lot of people overrate him, though.

4 hours ago, Jay free said:

I must say ...Beane does a great job; but he was just average in this draft . No way we shouldn't have come out without Johnathan taylor, Kyle duggar, Jeremy chin, kj hamler....or jk dobbins.....

Indy, New England, Baltimore traded up and all over the board.......one if not both of these teams will be in the afc championship game because of it......when you have control of the division....you got to go for it....and step on your foes throats.....

espinenza and moss will never be hall of famers.......

taylor, duggar, chinn might .....

just my two cents......

Debbie downer 

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

There were six starters last year, that Beane brought in as free agents:

1. Mitch Morse

2. Jon Feliciano

3. Quinton Spain

4. John Brown

5. Cole Beasley

6. Frank Gore (first half of the season)

None of those free agent signings were from Carolina. In fact, when Beane has brought in Carolina players as free agents, they have tended to do worse here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No the Pegulas will not for Beane will not be stupid enough to call one of their daughter a ***** like Polian did and this is something he admitted he did.   A daughter who worked in scouting department and actually found some players.

I am sure if you were a boss and someone called your daughter a ***** you would have said "You are right. If I am lucky maybe I can get lucky with her."

Terry is not petty like Ralph.  He won’t make such a rash decision because he knows it’s bad for business. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hjnick said:

I think Beane lost most of his latitude in this draft when he traded for Diggs.  We couldn't move around in the 2nd unless we would give up our 3rd or 4th round pick... which we don't want.  Now in Round 4, Beane might move around 1 time.

I assume by "latitude" you mean leverage ?

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

This guy is a true wizard.    We need to lock this front office down and continue to benefit for many more years...

Add Executive Vice President title as well, if it helps getting him to ink the contract and fend off .um.. ‘Lurkers’..?

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Probation guys, please read for awhile before a couple of you make silly comments.  I’m sure you meant well, and a person can find fault with anyone.  If you’re older ok, but if not, you haven’t endured through the crap many of us have since the 1970’s.  This is the first administration between coaching, management, and personnel many of us middle aged people can get excited about.  I know the Polian Levy years were fun, but that was not long enough.

Not speaking down to anyone, just understand if you had to watch Kay Stephenson, and so on, you’d be excited as well.  Also, we had a great owner who kept our team here even into his death, but for awhile didn’t want to pay for players, then didn’t also want to pay for proven coaches like Chuck Knox.  

Don’t forget Hank Bullough!! ? 

8 hours ago, Jay free said:

I must say ...Beane does a great job; but he was just average in this draft . No way we shouldn't have come out without Johnathan taylor, Kyle duggar, Jeremy chin, kj hamler....or jk dobbins.....

Indy, New England, Baltimore traded up and all over the board.......one if not both of these teams will be in the afc championship game because of it......when you have control of the division....you got to go for it....and step on your foes throats.....

espinenza and moss will never be hall of famers.......

taylor, duggar, chinn might .....

just my two cents......

We got the steal of the draft. And you want us to waste capital in a year where it’s needed to add a couple finishing touches. Epenesa has the potential to be great. Just read an article that compared him to JJ Watt. And have you watched anything on Moss? Him and Singletary will be a great duo. But you want us to waste picks on a safety when we already have one of the best tandems in the NFL. And Already have a BIG nickel. But I guess that’s why you aren’t are GM. 

For Beane to be a "great" GM, there are two steps (same as anyone else).  First, a deep playoff run with Allen under a rookie contract, next a deep playoff run after Allen gets a major QB payday.  Until those things happen he is simply a good GM.  The confusion comes from comparing him to decades of terrible GMs.  Good is much much better than terrible.  But coffee (and the "great" label) are for closers.