Watching this draft unfold it makes sense to me that the Bills trade for Trent Williams.

I’m really thinking that Trevon Diggs was a strong candidate for us at #54 but Dallas erased that possibility. Of course A.J. Epenesa was predicted by more than a few prognosticators him to fall to us and it appears that it’s a pretty safe pick for us at a position of need for us.

I fully expect a CB or LB in the 3rd rd, a RB in the 4th and after that it’s anybody’s guess. A QB anywhere later in this draft wouldn’t shock me as well.

I kind of thought going into this draft that OL could of been a pretty good possibility at pick 54, another need for us, that could be a good future starter but that went by the wayside as well. This leads me to think that Beane’s reasoning of trading for a proven veteran player could come into play here imo. Like the Diggs’ trade, Beane didn’t want to risk relying on unproven and/or less of a player so that, to me, would make sense for the Beane to whip out one of his 1 or 2 year contract that he likes to use. Trent Williams’ stock has been falling considerably since last year. It’s rumored that maybe a mid or later rd pick could get it done. I’m sure with the picks that we still have, 5th rder and later, a package of a couple of them picks could probably get this handled. To me that would make a good draft for us and the roster would maintain a good blend of youth paired with seasoned veteran play. Beane and McDermott go out of their way to make sure they keep good veterans for leadership and so far it has created a great chemistry in the locker room.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m really thinking that Trevon Diggs was a strong candidate for us at #54 but Dallas erased that possibility. Of course A.J. Epenesa was predicted by more than a few prognosticators him to fall to us and it appears that it’s a pretty safe pick for us at a position of need for us.

I fully expect a CB or LB in the 3rd rd, a RB in the 4th and after that it’s anybody’s guess. A QB anywhere later in this draft wouldn’t shock me as well.

I kind of thought going into this draft that OL could of been a pretty good possibility at pick 54, another need for us, that could be a good future starter but that went by the wayside as well. This leads me to think that Beane’s reasoning of trading for a proven veteran player could come into play here imo. Like the Diggs’ trade, Beane didn’t want to risk relying on unproven and/or less of a player so that, to me, would make sense for the Beane to whip out one of his 1 or 2 year contract that he likes to use. Trent Williams’ stock has been falling considerably since last year. It’s rumored that maybe a mid or later rd pick could get it done. I’m sure with the picks that we still have, 5th rder and later, a package of a couple of them picks could probably get this handled. To me that would make a good draft for us and the roster would maintain a good blend of youth paired with seasoned veteran play. Beane and McDermott go out of their way to make sure they keep good veterans for leadership and so far it has created a great chemistry in the locker room.

Go Bills!

What makes you think at this point Trent Williams is better than Dawkins? He’s been out of football for awhile. Injury issues even before being out of football. And he wants a big money extension. What sense does this make? And how is it an upgrade? 
It’s just a gamble is all on a name you recognize being good years ago 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

What makes you think at this point Trent Williams is better than Dawkins? He’s been out of football for awhile. Injury issues even before being out of football. And he wants a big money extension. What sense does this make? And how is it an upgrade? 
It’s just a gamble is all on a name you recognize being good years ago 

What you say is true. I would like to think though if Williams isn’t what I perceive him to be then Buffalo wouldn’t trade for him. It’s all relevant, right?

Well, my first opinion is already wrong. Maybe the Bills will take that CB or LB that I spoke about in the 4th rd now, seeing that they took Moss in the 3rd rd.

Just now, Tipster19 said:

What you say is true. I would like to think though if Williams isn’t what I perceive him to be then Buffalo wouldn’t trade for him. It’s all relevant, right?

Well, my first opinion is already wrong. Maybe the Bills will take that CB or LB that I spoke about in the 4th rd now, seeing that they took Moss in the 3rd rd.

If Williams was still what he used to be he wouldn’t still be in Washington. Guy has had issues and health problems and now out of football over a year. Team doctors can’t really check him out. Big gamble on a player that was speculated wanted 15-20 million a year in a new contract. Dawkins isn’t elite, but he’s serviceable. And that’s probably all Trent is now too. 

???

Adding a big contract for a 10 year NFL veteran who's had injury issues of late doesn't strike as making any kind of sense.  

Especially not for this franchise which has been pretty intent on shedding bad contracts of veteran players.  Why in goodness name would then reverse course this year, especially with their own guy taken in the 2nd just 3 years ago at LT?  And after having taken the RT RG Cody Ford for whom they traded up to draft.

Just now, TFBillsfan said:

I don’t understand all the clamoring for drafting OL?

We have Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Spain, Feliciano plus decent depth.

Out of the 5 OL that you just named I think that Dawkins is the one that most concerns me. Ford is still unproven but that’s understandable but I don’t believe Dawkins is all that and then some. Maybe if   he switched to RT he’d be more impressive. I just feel that he’s not a cornerstone LT. I’m probably wrong but so far that’s my impression of him, decent but not a superstar.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Go Bills!

what makes you think Trent Williams is an improvement at all?

Where are these rumors of low round picks coming from?  Cleveland was in discussion and they made it sound like Washington was still looking for 1st or high 2nd round picks.  

I am happy with our line and want nothing to do with Washington’s headcase.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We have no room on our roster for him and no lineman is worth 20 million a year by himself- 8 good lineman for 40 million works way better than 1 for 20.

Dwakins is going to get paid in that range thanks to the Texans giving their LT just that.   

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

If they can take it up a few notches, all of them individually (especially Ford) and as a unit, we will be very solid on the O line.   But that remains to be seen.    

I like the way the kid Moss runs.  He looks explosive.  A nice compliment to Singletary and a fun guy to watch.  As for Epenesa, Iowa football players are well coached.  They play hard and have grit.  He has nice size.  D Line is looking very strong right now.  Beane is good, very cagey and very good.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

The OL is the weakest link in the team. JA was pressured 33% of the time he passed, 4th worst in the league. And the line had monumental breakdowns in clutch moments late in the season and in the playoff game.

Don't think Trent Williams is the answer though. 

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Out of the 5 OL that you just named I think that Dawkins is the one that most concerns me. Ford is still unproven but that’s understandable but I don’t believe Dawkins is all that and then some. Maybe if   he switched to RT he’d be more impressive. I just feel that he’s not a cornerstone LT. I’m probably wrong but so far that’s my impression of him, decent but not a superstar.

Dawkins has had limited exposure in the NFL as a RT, and when he did, he wasn't very good.

Some guys are just better one side, and I firmly believe that Dawkins is one of them.

When he has had decent Guard play beside him, he's done more than well enough.

The proposal in trading for Williams, means you will probably get an improvement at LT, but you still haven't necessarily resolved the larger issue, which is RT.

It is therefore a very expensive way to just get an improvement at LT, in both salary and a pick(s), when you don't have much of an issue there in the first place.

Getting Dawkins re-signed, should give you stability at the position for years to come, whereas who knows how long Williams is still going to be good for.

I think if we were to trade for him, it would be after an injury or near the trade deadline, which I would he all for. He is a player that could push us over the top

He is too much of a risk to take on for the whole season with our current depth combined with now questions of if he still can play at a high level